Bought a vintage guitar but intonation is really bad

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ILIKEPUNKROCK93, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Heres Robert Smith with the Audition Screenshot_20200321-154744_Google.jpg

2. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    As radiotech said,,
    Then do a internet search for a tune o matic and other similar bridges,, (mustang, jaguar, etc) paying particular attention to post spaceing..

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    yes, and if you zoom in you can see his threaded rod has saddles on it, unlike our friend here... who just has a threaded rod.

4. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    If I remember correctly they weren't saddles, they were circular thumb wheels with a groove that the string rode over, they could go sideways but intonation was impossible. I think Woolworths were counting on the fact that by the time a beginner had progressed to the point where they noticed it going out of tune as you went up the fingerboard the guitar would have already fallen apart

metalmerchant likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    OP forget about that bridge for now. I think it’s exactly as others said, those strings appear to be floating about the zero fret, so no way it way it will ever play in tune. If so, the nut doesn’t need to be replaced, it just need to be slotted down so the strings rest on the zero fret.

After you check the zero fret as others mentioned, and it’s still crazy out of tune, I’d remove the bridge and bridge post bar. If what I see is correct, you can do that by removing the screws underneath the ‘saddle’. Then I’d buy a Bigsby bridge and base, the bow-tie model. Get a G-compensated bridge if that’s what you intend to use. Now you can move the base to the proper location, buy only after you set it up the exact way you want, with the strings of choice. If you’re successful, and you are able to drill precisely, you can screw the Bigsby base down in place. If you're lucky, and precise, you can actually make holes in the base to match the old screw locations.

I dislike TOMs with vibratos, but they can work for light use. I just don’t like the rattle they eventually produce. The Bigsby is the best deal around, as far as I’m concerned for situations just like this.

540DE592-653C-42AD-921E-9CE3F81364F8.jpeg

so1om and Mr Bones like this.
  6. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    I'd cut my losses and put it on the barbeque, they were bad when they were new and they dont improve with age. I remember going in to try one out in 75 but was too embarrassed and ended up coming out with a carrier bag full of condoms

ILIKEPUNKROCK93 likes this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    saddle is referred to what it does...
    he ain’t got any.

8. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    I searched audition electric guitar on google images and I couldnt find any with saddles, heres one Screenshot_20200321-160931_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200321-160946_Chrome.jpg

9. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    As you can see theres no adjustment for intonation, hes bought a lemon, learn and move on

10. wayne thomas

wayne thomas Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2020
    london
    ive had many o
    f these cheapies before, just take the two screws hold the bridge on out and move the bridge, well easy!

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    That will work too :)
    Fill n’ drill some new screw holes will keep it steady for aggressive playing—but I stress again, set everything else up first.

12. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    this is what I would check, see if the neck pocket has been sanded it is possible that the pocket has been lowered made deeper going towards the bridge. what you need to do is measure from the top of the zero fret to the top of the 12th fret then measure from the top of the 12th to where the strings come off of the bridge it should be the same measurement. now if it is off from being even measurement like the distance from the zero fret to the 12th is more than from the 12th to the bridge the take the neck off and put a spacer in the pocket at the heal of the amount of space 1/16, 1/8, what ever the distance was off between the two measurements this will move your neck further away from the bridge so if the measurement was shorter from the 12th to the bridge it will even that out. I say this because it looks as if the guitar has been refinished and they might of sanded inside the pocket to remove the old paint or they might have added enough paint inside the pocket to move the neck enough and a 1/8" is enough to mess up the intonation. the point is the measurements should be very close to the same from bridge to 12th and 12th to nut or zero fret.

DrBeGood likes this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

We haven't heard if there was an improvement from lowering the strings to the zero fret yet. One thing at a time.

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The pic of Roberts has the threaded sleeve type, and since these are yet another variation of Teisco, Kay, and Harmony models, there are intonatable variations of the bridge out there... like this one @surf green posted recently:
    2C059428-E148-4571-A36D-3FD5D2324875.png

daan, ILIKEPUNKROCK93 and drewcp like this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    On the zero fret, make a pen/pencil capo, and put it above it, that solves isolates the nut, and forces the fret to do its job. Then play with the bridge, and get it close as you can... don’t worry about action just now, just worry about neck relief, and intonation.
    CCA8B536-2530-4877-B08D-A88FA9EF6CB3.jpeg
    if you can get it in the ballpark, the guitar is salvageable.

Wound_Up likes this.
  16. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Wow. This thread is super out of control for such a simple thing.

BorderRadio, Marko60 and radiotech like this.
  17. ILIKEPUNKROCK93

ILIKEPUNKROCK93 Squier Talker

Mar 8, 2020
    Bradford
    The guy
    The guy I bought it off “set it up” by gluing the bridge.

18. ILIKEPUNKROCK93

Mar 8, 2020
    Bradford
    Yes there was still slightly out but I can live with that until I figure out what to do.

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. ILIKEPUNKROCK93

Mar 8, 2020
    Bradford
    What is the simple thing?

20. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    That it needs to go in the bin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice