Body wood/fingerboard wood?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by CajunJam, Feb 11, 2019.

1. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    Hey everybody, thanks for the welcome yesterday. I’m wondering about the body wood on my standard Squier strat. Seems like it’s agathis based on what I’ve read. Wondering your opinions on this wood. I googled it, but thought I’d ask folks who know the Squier best. I personally love the sound of this guitar - I really like how I can feel it vibrating against my body when I’m standing up and jamming. Just feels right, can’t explain it. Opinions on whether this is preferable or not to the affinity wood (alder) are welcome too!

My fingerboard seems to be rosewood. Looking at new Squiers on Fender’s site the description says “rosewood fingerboard”, but then they have it also listed as “Indian laurel”, what’s going on there?

I’ve attached a headstock pic for reference. Oh, also, I’ve searched the forum re: the 20th anniversary models (which mine is) and didn’t see many make in China. Seems like mine is. Wondering what’s up with that if anyone knows.

A lot of questions, but I’m really interested in this. Appreciate your help!

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Yours was made in China at the Yako plant, more accurately Republic of China (Taiwan) as opposed to the Peoples Republic of China (Mainland China). It is serialed to 2002, which is the 20th Anniversary year for Squier. That age it should indeed be rosewood.

It is just in the last several years with the ridiculous CITES nonsense, that Squier and others have gone to alternate fretboard woods. If they had planted trees instead of moaned and complained when they first started watching rosewood and other breeds of wood, then they would have plenty of trees.

3. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    Thank you!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Oh, the tonewood debate starts again.

Agathis is likely what your body is made of. Fender uses Alder in most, if not all, of its MIA and MIM guitars. Some guitars are made with ash, basswood, etc. I have guitars made of each of those. Agathis is fine and very close to alder. Imports are often made with it or basswood due to it being more readily available in the countries in which the guitars are made. Many people didn't like the fact that basswood began being used, but there is a big name, well known, famous guitar player that specified his be made of basswood. Most people don't feel that it makes much, if any, difference in the sound of an electric guitar. Pickups, amp, etc. make far more difference than body wood on an electric guitar. Besides, wood is not that consistent piece to piece in density, grain, etc. Just check the weight on two identical guitars (which you can do on the Sweetwater site). Weights will vary by quite a bit on identical guitars made of the same wood.

If you guitar was made prior to last year, before the ban on importing rosewood, it is likely rosewood. That is another thing that has more to do with looks than sound.

If your guitar plays and sounds good to you then don't be concerned at all of what was used to make it.

5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I did a little research on Yako. The main headquarters and original manufacturing plant is in Taiwan (Republic of China). But they also have factories on the mainland. Squiers are built in the Zhangzhou plant in Fujian province ... which is right across the strait from Taiwan.

6. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've seen that. Normal to expand. I've also run across an article that said Squier's and another brand (I forget which) are still made in the original factory and the Mainland one(s) were used for Asian market and off brand builds. I certainly don't know. Unlike you I don't speak or read Chinese. :)

Kenneth Mountain, CajunJam and Eddie like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I think the Taiwan factory does some higher end work and the mass produced guitars are done in Zhangzhou. But in the end, there are no set rules when it comes to Squiers.

As the founder of Yako Music once said ... the ultimate goal is to overcome Communism and create a free and democratic China. :) Sounds good to me.

8. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    Thanks. I appreciate the info!

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  9. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    You guys have some crazy knowledge about this stuff. It’s awesome.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  10. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Kenneth Mountain and CajunJam like this.
  11. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    Thanks man!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Strange name, but my 2016 Squier standard Telecaster is made with it,
    and sounds fantastic!
    I like to think of it as an "exotic wood"
    since most guitars are not made with it :)

CajunJam and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. VMamp

VMamp Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom

Agathis is classed as a 'softwood' (not all softwoods are 'soft' and neither are all hardwoods 'hard')
    Which probably explains why Agathis is specifically described.

CajunJam and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. CajunJam

CajunJam Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    NC
    I like it! Nice way to think of it.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Since you have rosewood ... don't try to travel internationally with it or you may get hung up in customs.

Since it was stated above about "the ridiculous CITES nonsense" ... Guitarists are often in the vanguard of supporting environmental/global warming initiatives -- and yet complain about not being able to use exotic rain forest lumber in their guitars. What about elephant tusk nuts and rhino horn inlays? I see famous pro players promoting environmental issues and then up on stage selling signature models with the finest exotic rain forest 'tonewood' they can muster as if they need it 'to sound good'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice