Best pickups for vintage Fender 50's/ 60's sound

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by ADR14, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ADR14

ADR14 Squier Talker

Hello All
    Would anybody know the best pickups for a Vintage Fender 50's/ 60's clean sound, i am thinking about the 57/60 fender vintage, but would they fit my Squire Affinity, or are any other recommendations out there.

Thanks
    Allan

2. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Rose pickups. The ones you would probably want would be ROBUSTA FAT 50s. Can't go wrong, about $60 a set!

3. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

...in addition to the pickups,you'll likely want to put flatwound strings on your strat,they will definately get you in that ballpark as far as sound goes.

Good Luck!

Thom

4. ADR14

ADR14 Squier Talker

Thanks Thom, what is the advantage of Flat wound strings, i usually use Ernie Ball 10's.

Thanks
    Allan

5. Ian G

Ian G Squier-Meister

I like fender fat 50's .... I wouldn't put them in affinity tho.
    also as a cheaper but not necessarily worse option pickups from CV50;s or CV60's - they are a bit hard to find as people like them and usually don't change them.

6. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

The Fender Vintage pickups would sure give you a great clean vintage Fender sound, but they would cost a good part of the cost of the Affinity.

7. alfunkz

alfunkz Squier-holic

For CV pickups look at tonerider pickups i think its the surfaris that are in the 50's not sure about the 60's

8. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Hello,again...
    Those are what would have been original strings in the 1950's 1960's...they're a bit stiffer for sure,but they really nail the early sound quite well.
    Most of what you hear(if not all) on the Buddy Holly songs of the era were done on flatwound strings,as well as other stuff too...

Good luck!

Thom

9. stranger4life

stranger4life Squier-Nut

I have a fairly good idea of what I think you're after sound-wise. But do you or anyone have a clip or soundbite of that "vintage Fender" sound I see so many chasing? Excuse my ignorance. But I'm curious if my point of view is similar to those giving advice on what would produce "vintage" Fender because at this stage, for me, unless it says exactly that on the box I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. So, not to hi-jack a thread, how about a few clips maybe so I or anyone else could understand just what you're looking for? I for one have no idea what a tonerider or fat anything sound like :eek: I actually have a Strat right now, stock, that to me atleast, has vintage Fender sound. But I could be wrong or I could be close. I just don't know :(

10. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

So much of this depends on the amp used, settings on the amp, settings on the guitar itself and effects used (if any) that it is nearly impossible to recommend a pickup for anyone, especially since no one but the person looking knows what sound they are 'hearing' in their mind.

If it is a true vintage Fender sound then the closest to that would be Fender Vintage pickups. It then comes down to 'what vintage'? 50's, 60's, 70's, or a newer more modern American Standard tone?

I wanted the 50's Fender Tele vintage sound for one of my teles. I got that sound with Fender Original Vintage '52 Reissue pickups. Gave me the sound I was after. Can't get more accurate to a true Fender sound, of any era, than with Fender pickups made in or for that era. After that it depends on amp, etc.

11. horax

horax Squier-holic

Gfs vintage stagger 64's. Only about 50 total and has a great sound!

12. ADR14

ADR14 Squier Talker

Thanks to all for your input, i like the Buddy Holly sound, amp settings are also taken into account.
    I do have an American Strat and Tele, the Affinity is a project guitar, but i would like to use it at gigs.

Thanks
    Allan

13. RorySquier

RorySquier Banned

I'm also updating my 2004 Affinity. I'll be installing Fender Vintage Noiseless pick-ups. The pick-ups also came with their own pots. Can't wait to hear how they sound.

Attached Files:

14. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

Ok.. I may be old and set in my ways, but for the classic early 50's Tele sound, I say Seymour Duncan Antiquity Tele Pickups. They are hand wound and signed by the man himself. I have played a lot of pickups and if you want amazing Tele pickups, do yourself a favor and get these. I love them...

TJ

15. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

But, he is asking about strat pickups, not tele pickups. But, while we are mentioning teles, I put the Fender Original Vintage '52 Reissue pickups in my tele, and it sounds nearly identical to the Fender '52 Reissue Tele I tried out at GC.

16. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

Opps... I use the Dimarzio Area Pickup set in my CV 50's, but the same goes for the SD Antiquity for Strat. What I like about the Area pickups is they are noiseless.

TJ

PS. The Antiquity set is expensive and the Area pickups are much less.

17. Hekim

Hekim Squier-Meister

18. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

I tend to like the Alnico II pickups for 50's guitars and Alnico 5's for the 60's.

TJ

19. Caddy

Caddy Squier-holic

+1 on that.

20. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

TJ....... glad to see ya back