Best Mic Type?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by JK202, Feb 10, 2019.

1. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Hey everyone,

I just ordered a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22 2in2out USB interface and I'm wondering what might be best.. a USB mic or should I get an XLR that pops into the interface? I'd like to keep that cost down under $50. Thoughts?

Thanks,

JK

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What will you be recording?

LutherBurger likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    JK202 likes this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I use the XLR mics.. Unless you luck out and find something used, I can't see anything at your price level that's worth buying..
    For a quality all around mike the SM 57 is hard to beat..Can be used for both vocals and instruments..For vocals only I'd recommend the SM 58..

5. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    I myself would like to know what type of camera and recording device people use to get a decent video sound quality.. I want to do a composition for the riff raff thread

6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Was that directed at me?

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    No, the OP.

drewcp likes this.
  8. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    As far as conventional mics are concerned, I have grown very fond of the Blue Encore series of microphones. I just bought another Encore 100 on a BOGO and got two of them for $100.00. They are more substantial and more linear than my SM58, As far as a usb mic that you can use both for podcasting and amaturish music recording, I recommend the Blue Snowball USB which sells in about the $100.00 price range as well. Here are the links for both.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...namic-microphone--buy-one-get-one-free/k45752

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/blue-snowball-studio-usb-microphone

9. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    At the OP's budget (a mic that fits his interface for under $50), I have to agree with Davis and Papa Joe: that a used SM57 is almost assuredly the best bang for the buck. Even big studios will have a bunch of these for instrument recording. They aren't the most amazing mics, but for $50-70, it's a seriously solid mic, used by pros, that you can grow with. I would avoid buying too much low-end hardware that you'll wind up throwing away or selling for pennies when you're ready for the next step. An SM57 can stay in your locker forever. [It also makes for a great *baseline* mic when making comparisons to other mics, especially other dynamics.]

This video shows a very good player in a quite good studio comparing an SM57 with an expensive Royer ribbon mic with different amps and different styles, and how both have a good place, alone or blended.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice