Best idea I've heard in YEARS !!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Brocephus, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:27 PM.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

good luck with that. not that I don't approve but I swear people would rather die than use their turn signals.

Mr Bones, BlueTele, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    That's one thing I've never understood. When I grew up through getting my drivers license, turn signal use was automatic. Not something requiring any thought. It does get embarrassing when you turn on the turn signal in a parking lot going into9 space. As I said automatic requiring no thought.

The other I've never understood is the lack of, objection, refusals to wear seatbelts.

3. All that and the fact turning left thru an intersection in front of you … havin' to hit the brakes to avoid a T-bone.
    Then you notice absolutely no one behind you. Was driving out in front of me worth the risk, rather than wait an extra 3 seconds? :rolleyes:
    Cheers, Barrie.

Mr Bones, BlueTele, vlxerdon and 5 others like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Turn signals are optional equipment on cars sold in my area - or so it seems.

@jefffam I use them in parking lots as well. I figure that I'm communicating my intent to the idiots around me.

5. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

I use my turn signals to turn into my own driveway. That's another thing, people seem to think the laws of physics (and the road) are progressively more relaxed the closer they are to their home. I call it the proximity to domicile effect.

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I get mocked for using my turn signal to pull into my parking spot at work, so I'm not the guy to ask about this.

I will say that it's a lot less aggravating leaving the house this past week or so. The back roads are empty and the people who are driving seem to have a grasp on the rules of the road. Unfortunately some of the young cops in the upscale small towns look as though thier heads are ready to explode from boredom, so maybe you'll get your wish.

"Why are you on the road? Let me see your papers.". That's just plain unAmerican. "You failed to use your directional. Here's your summons. Have a nice day." I can get behind that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Mr Bones, BlueTele, vlxerdon and 2 others like this.
  7. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Turn signals were my #1 pet peeve for decades, till they were pushed out of their top spot by.......cell phones !!! :mad:

8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I think the two go hand-in-hand these days. Before the great purge of non-essentials from New Jersey roadways I would see people texting and turning at alarming frequency. It's almost impossible to flip the directional with one's thigh, so signaling intent was out of the question.

Texting and applying makeup while driving also makes it difficult to operate the turn signal. I've seen that once. Impressive thoughtlessness.

Thinking about this reminds me of a song...

9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Funny related story.

Long time ago, cousins of my wife, three hunks of 6'4", all driving to family Christmas dinner in a small Karman Ghia through a snow storm. Car in front of them hits the brake and turns unto his driveway, without flasher of course. They almost go in the ditch trying to avoid the *******. Driving cousin backs up, turns into said driveway. Before the old man can get out of his car, he taps on the window. Old man rolls it down slowly wondering. Cousin grabs the flasher arm and rips it out, telling the shocked driver that for him it is an option that he obviously doesn't need.

That story is still told and laughed at in family gatherings.

Another thing I don't get, that probably many of you do without even realizing it. When (after properly putting your turn signal on ...) you turn right on a 90° street, in a driveway or other, WHY in hell do you have to veer left first as if trying to miss the non existing curb ? ? ? ? ? ?

10. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

One thing I have noticed in people's defense at night is that the front indicators are usually right next to the retina-burning headlights. Even when people have their signal on you can't see them because their headlights are blinding you.

11. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier-Meister

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I wholeheartedly support the use of turn signals. If I'm not mistaken, those turn signals actually come STANDARD on vehicles nowadays, don't they?

For those who don't want to use turn signals, try thinking of it this way: even though you may forfeit some degree of tactical advantage that you would normally have by not letting your fellow drivers know what you're going to do when you don't signal, if you do signal, you can impress your friends with your technical skills. Move this little lever, and lights flash on the car. Then they go off when you finish your turn. Pretty impressive, huh?

12. I've noticed several vehicles now that, when the turn signal is activated, that corresponding headlight turns off.
    Cheers, Barrie.

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I love turn signals..Beats the hell out of hanging my hand and arm out the window on a cold rainy day like I had to do when first driving back in the 40s..

14. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    When I started driving all cars came with turn signals. I guess the manufacturer is trying to save money cause they sure don't come on newer vehicles. At least not in Georgia.

15. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    \
    LOL, great story ! I found it cathartic, and actually had a deja vu moment here, as I've had to grit my teeth and steel myself to resist the urge to do the exact same thing (back in the 80's), more times than I can recall, even down to the quote, ".....since you OBVIOUSLY don't need this....{SNAP} !!!!"
    Fortunately, I'd tell myself I'm just gonna get my stupid self arrested, then get stuck with an insane $1000 repair bill, that wouldn't end till I was finally sued in civil court for emotional trauma !!
    Another one that constantly chaps my ass, is how the drivers that seem to slow way down and creep over train tracks the most, are guys in big 4-wheel drive vehicles, with big tires and lots of clearance ! What are they afraid is gonna happen if they cruise over a paved train crossing at a whole 35 mph ???

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    Mr Bones, wonkenstein and BlueTele like this.
  16. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    No way could I come up with anything funnier than what you've all posted. My '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ is not equipped with the more modern automatic-off turn signal flashers so I'm mindful about turning them on and turning them off. People who use their cell phones instead of their directionals are a real hazard.

Mr Bones likes this.
  17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing is coming...
    I especially like the guys on tv in a high speed chase, they use there turn signals...:D

Brocephus and Mr Bones like this.
  18. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    That's cuz most of them are really just good hearted, misunderstood "gentle giants" ;).
    (Plus, once you know the bust is coming down, you might as well get an early start on limiting the laundry-list of charges against you !! :eek:)

strat_strummer likes this.
  19. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    Nope.
    Traffic may be slower in parking lots, but it's a lot closer together so the reaction time has to be shorter. I like to make my intentions known well in advance.

Brocephus and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice