Best free recording software?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Bassman96, May 16, 2019.

1. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Get Reaper and pay the $70 down the road if you can and if you like it. The nag-ware element is not a big deal at all.

And yeah, don't steal. I mean really. Would you like it if people stole your work? People don't like to pay taxes, but we DO get something for it. Imagine if your coworkers and customers just helped themselves to your wallet. Just because it's easy to do and a lot of people do it doesn't make it not theft. "former software pirate" is no badge of honor. In a lot of cases, like Reaper, you're stealing from people who invest a lot of money and show the most trust. Pay them if you can, and try to be honest with yourself.

2. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I couldn't afford any software. I was a graduate student making nothing. I could have bought nothing and had nothing, no recording at all. If I could have afforded it but chose to downloaded it, I'd feel guilty. Either way, at the time, they wouldn't have made money from me. That was long ago. I now bought and kept the software I like and use. Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Too bad, I used to like this forum.

3. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Well I could point out that, if you ran software, then you didn’t have nothing...sounds like you had a computer...and a guitar? I sold my ‘90 American Telecaster, my only guitar, so I could stay in college junior year.

My only perspective on theft was that there was a choice. I went to grad school too. In fact I worked for 3 years before starting my BA and then worked 8 years before starting my MA. It’d be great if I could have gone sooner, but I couldn’t afford to. I could have gone earlier if I supplemented my self by stealing things, but that wasn’t my choice.

Point is, if you need it, you pay for it. If you’re just pirating software because you want it but can’t afford it, then you can choose to go without, Ive since become disabled and I have to go without a lot of things I wouldn’t have guessed before. It’d be nice to just take other people’s property so I could live better, but blame morality as old as history, but it just seems like that’s a clear one to avoid.

But sorry this was such a buzz kill for you. Don’t skip out on my account. I’m just one jerk.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  4. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    I think some people feel like software theft is different because there is no incremental variable cost incurred by the software company just because you use it. So the rationale is that the company isn’t losing anything because you would not have bought it anyway and they aren’t incurring any incremental cost because you are using it. Its a matter of you not contributing your fair share to the cost of them creating the software, which some people see as different from theft.

I disagree with this. Especially since there are many 100% legally free options. I think if you like Reaper and use it you should pay the modest fee. If you don’t have the money use Sonar or Tracktion both of which are full-featured unlimited DAWs that a few years ago would have cost $500. There are probably others as well, though they may have track count or VST limitations.

Just my personal opinion and not intended to make anyone feel bad. We live in an unbelievable era of accessibility to music technology!

Rollmeaway and drewcp like this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Stupid question but been out of the loop for a while.... What does DAW stamd for? To bring this back on topic...ahem...

Rollmeaway, -r3- and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  6. rolie

rolie Squier-Meister

Apr 12, 2019
    Southern California
    digital audio workstation

7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thank you. I'm normally good at translating acronyms but that one was escaping me for some reason lol

Rollmeaway likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Squier Talker

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Another long time user of (not free but worth every penny) Reaper here.

Rollmeaway and Conghaille like this.
  9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Just realized I actually have a copy of Reaper on my laptop. Just didn't have a desktop icon for it. I have that and also just downloaded Tracktion T7 and will try them both and see how they compaire.

Rollmeaway and Conghaille like this.
  10. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Tracktion T7 is good, but only comes with some basic plugins(which I'm not complaining about), so you kinda gotta find your own vst's/virtual instruments for it. I like Cakewalk by Bandlab, it comes with some nice plugins, and optional free virtual instrument downloads. Bonus is if you dont like it, most of the plugins/virtual instruments work in tracktion as well.

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html is a plugin with free virtual instruments available.

And if you ever need good free drums, Sennheiser Drummic'a is good for rock etc.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  11. LarsN

LarsN Squier-Meister

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I've got three on my PC.

Audacity, Ableton Live 10 Lite (Came with my Scarlette 2i2), and Tracktion 7 (I got a code from buying things on ReVerb.)

of the three I think I like Tracktion 7 the best.

Rollmeaway and BeepBoop like this.
  12. curtinparloe

curtinparloe Squier Talker

Apr 23, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Back when I had a Macbook Pro I was using Garage Band, then switched over to Ardour because it had more flexibility.
    After that piece of junk laptop died I got a Windows machine, and Ardour just couldn't cut it. I moved over to Tracktion 7 and haven't looked back. It's great!

Rollmeaway and BeepBoop like this.
  13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I tried Ardour on Debian and it was ok but my workflow is on windows. Mainly because I use EZ Drummer and it won't work on Linux as far as I know. Would like to use Linux but I don't have time to hack to get it going. Reaper has been the best for me it works great and has a great work flow for me. Oh and it's $60 for their full blown version. No Nicole and dime me for their other options like Presonius was. I'm not spending $300+ for my DAW

Rollmeaway likes this.
  14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Audacity is great but I only use it for tweaking 1 track. Haven't tried it for multi track in a long time. I had latency issues trying multi track recording. Has anyone tested it for multiple tracks lately?

15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Reaper is free to try and if you can't buy it rite away you can use it unrestricted as long as you want. Just has a 5 sec nag type msg when you open it and you can say still evaluating. I highly recommend it. I've done 3.albums with it and recorded allot of music.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  16. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    i loved Audacity til I fried my laptop’s motherboard a second time. First one was under warranty.

17. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Is there a version of Garage Band for Windows? Apparently it's a very easy-to-use software.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I don't think there is a windows version. You can get a Mac and Garage band for as little as 4k I bet.

Rollmeaway and mofojar like this.
  19. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    No, but it is free for iOS (iPhone/iPad).

Rollmeaway and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice