Best free recording software?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Bassman96, May 16, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm getting setup to be able to do some recording at home and am wondering what good or even decent recording software is on the market as a free download nowadays. If there is any. Or maybe even very low cost software. I'm on a fixed va income so frugal is what I'm shooting for here. Thanks guys.

Rollmeaway and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What kind of computer?

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Lenovo laptop running windows 10

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Kbking

Kbking Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    Audacity is a free software and is probably one of the most used recording software there is. And therefor there is a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

5. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I second Audacity if you want something that's easy to just start working with and want to spend no money at all. I've been making recordings with it since '06 and it makes decent tracks.

Once I get an interface I'm going to go slightly higher tech and get Reaper, which is free for two months and then has a one-time fee of $60 for the full version. Lots of people I know recommend it, and there are a lot of tutorials online for how it works. It has way more features, effects and other stuff than Audacity but also requires having a bit of audio engineering knowledge to get the most out of it. You'd have the same thing if you went high end and got Pro Tools or Cubase or something along those lines.

My example is I watched a video about recording vocals in Reaper and this guy starts getting into effects and filters and low-pass/high-pass stuff and the various tricks that engineers use to make vocals sound amazing. Which frequencies to boost or cut, which effects they use, etc. It seems much more robust than Audacity.

6. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Sounds like Audacity is a good starting point to build from. Awesome thanks!

7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I second Reaper. Great program, and a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

8. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
  9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    That looks nice! I might try it out. If it is what they say it is that is exactly what I am looking for

10. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    What's the software that Gibson bought then tanked it. I think now it's a freebie. Was it cubase?

11. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    Cakewalk Sonar. That debacle is why I started using Tracktion. Then Bandlab took Sonar over and made it free. I never went back to it. Tracktion is both powerful and straightforward. Most of the other DAWS are still built (user-flow wise) around the model of a physical mixing console with busses. With Tracktion they kind of tossed that aside for something that makes alot more sense in the computer.

Rollmeaway and radiotech like this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I will vote Reaper too, As long as you keep evaluating Reaper it is free to use. Lots of tutorials on the Cockos Confederation website along with lay outs and skins for your DAW.
    Something like $60 gets you a licensed version, Video editing of VCL( or is it Vlc?) too as long as you install the 64k version.

13. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    Reaper is my favorite.

14. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Again... Reaper! Seems to be inspired by Vegas, anyway... great software.

15. rolie

rolie Squier-Meister

Apr 12, 2019
    Southern California
    Reaper is probably the best free one. I love the workflow in ableton, the lite version is free when bundled with hardware. You might be able to get a disc on ebay for cheap.

Also if youare student yiu get discounts

16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Reaper , Not really free but you can use it free as long as you need to without any restrictions. They just ask if you like it to buy it for $60. You just have a 5 second nag msg when starting it until you buy it.

I use it for all my recording.

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Bandlab Cakewalk is free but I didn't like it at all. Reaper works really good for me

Rollmeaway, beagle and dbrian66 like this.
  18. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    Cakewalk was great in its day but its old and the “new” generation programs like Ableton and Tracktion beat it hands down for workflow.

To me, Reaper is also in that old world of being overly complicated with workflow mimicking the limitations of a physical mixing console. I can see the appeal of it if you’re into programming with scripts or JSFX but if you’re just a musician wanting to record and mix, IMHO, Tracktion is a better option and the older (not latest) version is always 100% free. The mixing and effects chain setup is the best I’ve seen and it also has composition aids that are interesting if you’re trying to get started writing your own music. It is very “musician” oriented. I know I sound like a fanboy but anyone not already invested in learning something else should give it a look before choosing a program. Learning new software is a big investment of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    I'll add my vote for the Reaper pile. I've never had any problems with it, or found it lacking for what I do. Plenty of how-to's for it online as well.

Rollmeaway, 5ofeight and dbrian66 like this.
  20. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    It's free if you downloaded illegally cracked versions about 15 years ago.

-former software pirate

Argh!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice