BEST AND WORST DAY EVER!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Tconroy, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Went to rock and roll hall of fame and it was awesome!!! Never thought I would actually get there but it was on my bucket list. You can take pics, play guitars, several kinds and jam with workers in the garage. I had plans on getting up there and jamming with them but when the time came it didnt happen! I had a major performance anxiety attack. Shaking real bad, heart pounding, head throbbing so bad I could not hear and hands sweating and fingers felt like bricks. The bad thing is they were getting ready to play Pride and Joy which I can do all the way thru! My wife kept saying get up there and do it! I totally blew my chance of playing with somebody for the first time. I still cant get over it. I dont think Im ever going to either.f Other than that it was a great adventure.

FhPudd, mb doug, squierbilly and 14 others like this.
  2. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Glad you got to do something cool on the bucket list.
    Don't sweat the anxiety. While it's no doubt disappointing, it's not at all uncommon. I get anxiety playing in a music store!

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    I'm exactly the same way. I can sit with just the wife and the dog and play until my finger tips fall off, my kids come over and I cant even find the low E.

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Don’t sweat the anxiety man. You just tried to jump right into the deep end! I have locked up just like that ( and still do sometimes if I have to do something solo ), but I can play rhythm guitar in the background just fine now. But you need to start out finding a group of people to practice with without an audience. Get comfortable there first and then move on to playing shows. Do it in steps. :)

mb doug, squierbilly, kenneth and 4 others like this.
  5. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    this is why they make valium and whiskey. or tequila

remember: Drink responsibly.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    just buy some mannequins to place around and put on some jam tracks.

mb doug, duzie, Caddy and 4 others like this.
  7. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    lol:D

8. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Well.....looks like you'll need to go back some day , face your fear, with a little more preparation....;)
    and I've been tryin' Pride and Joy, Coldshot for years...(not everyday)...that's hard !!! you be lucky Man !!!o_O

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

It's happened to a lot of us - no worries !

10. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I'm with @dbrian66 - the first time you consider getting up and playing is at the R&RHOF with folks who work at the R&RHOF and jam regularly?? :eek:

Your experience is a natural one. Having technical ability and being able to showcase that ability in front of others are two entirely different skills, though.

I also think getting together with some folks to play in a more low key setting to avoid getting too far inside your own head is a good idea, IMHO.

11. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I hope that you don't give up on the idea of playing with other people. This just wasn't the right time and place for you.

Even though I play shows in front of friendly and not-so-friendly crowds. I do get anxiety in music stores. Our emotions are difficult to understand sometimes.

I'm lucky to have discovered a very supportive jam that encourages beginners and bedroom players to play with others. This has literally changed my musical life over the past 18 months and given me incredible confidence.

Still, I sound like I've never seen a guitar when I play at a Guitar Center...

Your time will come!

12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Anxiety is just another word for "super excitement". Like hitting the overdrive pedal of emotions.
    Happens to the most seasoned pros. Deep breathing can be very helpful at such moments. Non-addictive.
    Sounds like a great day to me!

13. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Been there man, but at least you recognize there is something you need to face head on eventually.

I've been jamming for a few months with friends on some original songs me and the singer wrote a few years ago... the band is now complete but I don't know how I'm going to just waltz up there in front of people without being overly self-conscious of my playing or how I look, etc.

My biggest fear is messing up due to worrying about those other things but I think the important part is to keep playing no matter what, smile and just have fun. Will it help if we just put on a pair of dark sunglasses like the kid from Big Daddy? :D:cool:

14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I started suffering from social anxiety a few years ago, which completely mystifies me because as far as I know, I don't care what other people think about me, generally speaking. I had a full-on panic attack in a bar once and had to have intravenous diazepam at the nearest hospital.....my chest felt like it was constricting really badly and I thought I was dying lol. Apparently it was due to too much oxygen in the blood cells, at least I think that was the explanation. Anyway, it had a devastating effect on my confidence as far as playing live is concerned. I think I'd have to hide behind an amp now. If you can't even eat noodle soup in a food court without throwing it all over the place, playing guitar in front of an audience is out of the question!

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Glad your ok !

dbrian66, mb doug, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  16. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Sorry to hear that your jam didn’t go well, it happens to the best of us. I’m sure there’s been more than one person I’ve played with that left thinking it must have been the first time I touched an instrument. On a different note, I didn’t know the RnR HOF had a jam space?! I grew up about an hour away from Cleveland, and had been there maybe 2-3 times over the years as a kid, but never noticed that part of the exhibit.

17. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I'm good thanks. Sorry, I didn't mean to draw attention to myself :confused:, I wanted to let Tconroy know that he has my sympathies. I'm sure you'll conquer your fears Mr. C (?)

18. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

So,.....I can take valium irresponsibly, yes? ;););) Just kidding, folks, am a nurse, am sick and tired of the drug dependencies of this country...lil old folks you'd never suspect, addicted to <insert prescription drug name here>…...but it's OK, the MD keeps prescribing:rolleyes:

Kenneth Mountain, mb doug and MrYeats like this.
  19. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Wow! That is a huge bite you were gonna take! Kudos to you for considering it! Seriously? The first time playing with anyone would of been there? That’s like me paddling out at 20 foot Pipeline but never catching a 6 foot wave! No shame in not paddling out bro! You can always do it again later. Baby steps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    no worries man! Thanks for all the input. There was a lot of people standing at the door waiting for people to step up and jam. I dont drink or do drugs or anything else so I will have to depend on my abilties to block it out of my mind. I am going to take it slow and find some guys to jam with. I have been invited to a wed. night get together so I am going this coming wed. Went to sweetwater last night and bought some stuff. Tried to play but all the guitars seemed so sticky to me. My guitars are like butter in my hands. I hurt my middle finger in Feb. and it still gives me trouble with a sticky fret board. After That tuesday at r&r I wanted to sell everything and stop playing completly! I will reconcider that now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice