Best $300.00 Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by JurnyWannaBe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    I got my first ever Tele about a month ago. I am head over heels crazy about it. It’s a Bullet HS and I am really impressed by all it can do tone wise. I’m thinking about trying to get a better model. The Modern Player HSS is looking pretty good to me. I’m finding them on the low end for about $300.00. Is there a “better” Tele out there in about the same price range?

mb doug, Best1989, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  2. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Hard to go wrong with a classic vibe squier. But if you look hard could find a mim fender, not necessarily better.

txflood, mb doug, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Look for a used player series. I can't recommend them enough 20190409_134911.jpg

LutherBurger, mb doug, Caddy and 4 others like this.
  4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have owned 2 or 3 modern player teles. Fit and finish was fantastic. I wanted a more normal tele, so I got a CVC instead. Almost as nice but not quite. I also have a VM thinline now to, another slightly smaller step down in fit/finish but still very nice.

That said, if the typical bridge pup sound of your classic tele appeals to you, the modern player is not the right choice, not even with the bucker split.

The belly carve makes it very comfy though. If you can actually find one for 300, you should be able to get that back out of it if its not a good fit

5. elfnub

elfnub Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2019
    SE OHIO, USA
    You might be surprised how little quality scales up from the Bullet Tele. My Bullet Tele is a better guitar than my 700 MiM Strat I bought 8 years ago.

6. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Oh how rude of me, pics 20180610_205618.jpg 20191119_150045.jpg 20190508_103525.jpg

mb doug, Mr Bones, Best1989 and 7 others like this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
  8. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
  9. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Jfgesquier beautiful piece man. Love it.

10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
    Thank you.

It will look even better with the tort guard!

Two stacked and a humbucker - it is the quietest (no hum) Fender I have ever played.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
    I agree on the Classic Vibe recommendation. Should be able to find a used one in the $300 range pretty easily.

Note that the new Classic Vibes are made in Indonesia instead of China and there's a lot of debate about the changes, good or bad.

I have both the Classic Vibe 50s pictured here with a replacement parchment pickguard and the Squier Vintage Modified SSH Tele picture earlier, which was made in India. The SSH plays and sounds like no Fender I've ever played before. App

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I second on this. I loved my Squier CV bsb.

14. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    That’s why I have become such a big fan of the Tele. It’s the Swiss Army knife of guitars. It can do just about anything.

15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    SSH Modern is a great guitar...
    Tummy cut, and a chunkier neck (at the nut) than most Squiers... but not quite as chunky as a MIM/USA neck. There are a few floating out there that are not properly grounded (missing brides ground, easily fixed).

I almost bought one new, and am still kicking myself for passing on a couple at $250 a while back.

16. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Hang onto it, they are tough to find.

17. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I think you can find G&L Tribute series Teles for 300 at times

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I've had a bunch of Telecasters over the years (which should always have single coils, BTW) ;). For me, for under $300 today, it's either a used Classic Vibe or a new sparkle Bullet with a pickup swap. I sold my CV and kept my Bullet. I play it.

JurnyWannaBe and mb doug like this.
  19. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Can't argue about the CV's. Depending on the pickups you want there are some nice VM's. I also love my Bullet, but yeah singles coils in a tele are more natural to me.

Attached Files:

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  20. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    IMO the classic vibe 50s is far and away better then any other squier. It's much closer to a AVRI 50s than other squiers. They go for $300 or less used easily. I found mine in mint condition for $200. It whips the snot out of the 3 classic series MIMs i previously had.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice