Best 1x12" SS combo amp

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, May 7, 2019.

1. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    @Eddie
    The Guitar Max super shredder dude likes this budget tube amp. In the $200 range I think ... Name brand too

Amp's features, tone ability, quiet and very loud capabilities are explored and described in the video review.

--

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Eddie, mofojar and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco

And this acoustic cover of Wild Cherry 'Play that Funky Music'... Video shot at a dance studio in Norway.

--

3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    You.

I like you.

That's probably my favourite of all of Leo's covers. He nails it.

Of course I also have a thing for Norway in general so he gets bonus points for that.

Kenneth Mountain and SoleilSF like this.
  4. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    @Eddie
    5 best Amp heads for under $600. (video from June 2017)
    Mostly Tube heads, and one solid state: Boss Katana Solid State, ditigal, head

---

-
    Definitely check out the first amp he reviews: Hughes & Kettner.

--

--
    Boss Katana: Solid State head

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  5. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Off topic, but I thought I was the only one who thinks this. Everytime I mention it, people give me a funny look. As if they had no clue about the EMF waves bombarding us 24/7 from all angles!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Im bored so I figured id spew on about the solid state amplifier...

It doesn't seem to cross many peoples minds when they start thinkin solid state amps but there was a moment in time where companies decided to go cheap...

It wasn't just 1 either... It was like a mad dash to the cut corner finish line and the field was full... Amps, guitars and pedals... That moment in time was the late 80s...

Guitars go from wood to ply. Companies tell other companies like Gotoh to find new buyers and start replacing higher end tuners on their stuff with much beloved traps... Cabinets go from wood to compressed whatever. Electronics, spring verb tanks, speakers, trem blocks, saddles and on and on it went... Wherever they could cut a corner on the cheap stuff they cut it...

Which leads us back to solid state amps... The ones that are often mentioned as being among the best quite often share a lot of traits. Quite often they were built before that late 80s cut corner movement took hold... And quite often they also involved a decent spring verb circuit along with either a nice limiter/comp circuit or trem/chorus circuits...

There was a combination of pieces and parts and etc that limited the opportunity for bottlenecks to screw up the end result... They have built a billion solid state amps where this wasn't the case... Quite often a builder will cut so many corners on a solid state amp that by the time u get to the end result u have run thru 5 or 6 bottlnecks and achieve a sound that shows it off...

This is why say early/mid 80's Peavey are such a bargain when it comes to solid state. People almost give them away. Yet the pieces and the parts they were built with can achieve a decent sound if you throw the kitchen sink at the amp...

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Is there a Dukin Donut in Remulak ?

8. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I watched that Music is Win dude but a Squier sp15 and some cheapo cheapo strat knockoff for a total of $60 bucks and make it sound like gold.....so there is that too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice