Best 1x12" SS combo amp

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, May 7, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Regardless of money, what's the best 1x12" solid state combo amp that money could buy?

On the flip side, what's the best 1x12" solid state combo amp that someone on a teacher's salary can afford?

Not into effects or modeling. I want the best, clearest, purest, most beautiful tone available, with a little reverb added in.

Gracias. :)

2. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Blues Cube Hot

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Tech 21 tm 30. I think it's a 10 inch speaker.About 300.00 new, 150.00 used. Best SS amp IMO.

mb doug, Paruwi, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I definitely want a better amp. Going with budget amps is ok, but man, sometimes I feel like I'm limiting my tone.

I wanna go with something better. I hear lots of great things about the Katana, but I don't want a modeling amp. I just need a bit of reverb, and a beautiful clean tone. My super uber heavy black death metal distortion takes care of the rest. :)

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I been thinking of a Champ 40 myself - I like the 20 so much ( with the new speaker ) I would probably upgrade the speaker in it - 100.00 is a good price !

ScoobySnacker, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    New Champion 40 is $199. It's modeling, but you can use just the Tweed or Blackface settings. I upgraded the 8"speaker in my 20w version, but the 12" in the 40w sounds good to my ears.

$30 more gets you a Katana 50 with an attenuator for 25 and 0.5W. Again modeling, but your don't have to use the fx.

Monoprice 15W is a tube amp, but it has spring reverb and is $220 (when in stock).

As far as "Regardless of money," I'm afraid I don't understand that. ;)

mb doug, ScoobySnacker and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I may ask my cousin to grab it for me. He's close-by the seller. I sent his sons two guitars two years ago. They're supposedly pretty good already. So I'm gonna ask him to take one of his kids to test out the amp. :)

10. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    To me Fenders have the best clean so go from there. You can find a good price used, especially the occasional Frontman 212 on the cheap

mb doug, dbrian66, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  11. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Within these parameters, it would be the Pritchard Sword of Satori, IMO.

Within the "teacher's salary" limits - the choices are so very numerous that they can produce page after page of debate and opinion. Which has happened in other forums. Perhaps even this one.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    The Katana does have a great clean tone. Just don't use the effects.
    Get the 100w though, better everything on it than the 50.

Or a Valvetronix from Vox. All of them have incredible nice cleans and 3 reverbs that are tweakable. You can get them for pretty cheap. Don't have to believe me, find a used one close to you and go try it.

EDIT
    Yeah that too. Any 12" Fender has incredible cleans, even the cheaper FM or Princeton DSP. I had two of those and found them too clean ;)

dbrian66, Eddie, Stratlover84 and 2 others like this.
  13. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
  14. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Peavey Red Stripe Bandit (or any "Transtube" Bandit).

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

saw that !

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I recently tested the Katana 50 and the Blues Cube Hot in a larger store. I was there for a 20W tube head, which I ultimately bought, but off reverb.

I almost took the BC home, but even with the Katana being cheaper, and having more modeling options, it was no contender.

If you aren’t hyped on modeling options, and you find a Blues Cube (of any kind) I would highly recommend you at least try it out.

mb doug, Bluzy, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  17. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Meister

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    Trademark TM60 - hands down!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice