Being a "Hobby Player"

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Years ago, (like some other folks here), I played in a band that gigged a LOT. For quite awhile i didn't even need a day job. After a good friend/drummer died I hung it up. When I came back into playing I always had it in my head that I would jump back into playing out. I even have a small P.A. upstairs!

Well, the reality is that I can't be away from home. My wife works nights and I have to do both jobs during the day, as well as hold down a job. My jobs as "Dad" and Husband are way more important to me than jamming "Crossroads" on a Strat in some bar. I seldom can be away, nor do I want to be.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am finally embracing that I am a casual player. I may never get out there again, and I am OK with that.

I don't need a 44 watt amp I can barely crack at home, nor do I need the P.A.

I'm OK with that!

Thanks for your time!

2. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I'm not a good enough guitar player to "play out" or play in a band. However I really enjoy sitting around the house plinking away on new things and discovering new sounds etc. I do sing however and have two complete PA systems depending on the size of the venue. I sing gospel and Christian music at churches and have been doing it off and on for almost 40 years. Maybe someday, I'll get brave enough to plug my guitar pedal board into the PA and accompany myself on a song.

Paul1985, Viking, dbrian66 and 11 others like this.
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    It's all cool. As long as you still play, who cares who it's for ?
    Once kids leave the paternal house, it might light up your stage flame again, who knows ?

4. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    Never say never...life changes constantly. Keep those fingers loose and warm...you may still have a chance to play :)

5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I can relate...almost strictly at home hobby player, now, am good with it. My wife loves it since I bought an attenuator to tame the Tweaker….she's my biggest fan....LOL. In all fairness, I used to be quite skilled and well versed in theory....family, work, health issues have taken their toll over the decades, I still love playing , can fake it right nice - lotta folks think I'm really good, I beg to differ- "muscle memory" goes a long way....hah

6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I think we are all on the the journey that is guitar.

We are just in different places in that journey .

dbrian66, wonkenstein, Merv_j and 6 others like this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I have the best venue in the world, and full of the best audience you could ask for. My wife, my dog, and my 3yr old grand daughter.

Paul1985, Viking, fattboyzz and 8 others like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One thing I some time ago realized is this idea of being a working "pro" somehow being critical to our being a player is a historical anomaly.

Yes there were always people who made their living as musicians, but generally they were viewed as oddities and quite often were seen as socially questionable outcasts.

For most of history playing for the joy of music was the prime driver. For one's self, for family, for friends. Indeed the word "amateur" -- today sort of a put down -- once was seen as something on a higher plane than playing for money. The word amateur itself coming from "amare" -- something done out of love. Note the order of the accepted meanings of the word:

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.54.06 AM.png

We are, of course, of our times. And today, at least in our culture (such as it is), everything is a commodity to be bought and sold. And most everything's worth is seen thru that lens.

But it needn't be.

"I play because I love playing. I love music. I love making music."

In historical terms that elevates you.

Sound strange? A rationalization? Think about "love" and sex. Done for love vs done for money.

-don

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  9. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Once the last child is 18 I'll consider getting a band together again.

Until then I'm happily a bedroom player.

10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Whatever. :p

I am still able to play in bands, some people play gold, right? But Chicago is a horrible town for such things. After years of saying that, I finally gave up even bothering looking for gigs and doing all the work that the venues should be doing.

Unfortunately I can't sing. So one direction I have gone is instrumental compositions, just guitar. I have a few songs, a slew of others in development. Some influences of surf, astro, ambient, Dead Combo, Marc Ribot, stoner rock.

"Wait? I thought you were a huge Duane Allman and that style music fan?

I am. But I have found room for it all. Something with a band, something to do solo and something to listen to.

Watch for open mics near the house, watch for places where they have live music occasionally etc. In the meantime until the schedule changes around the house -prepare for it!

11. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    I’ll be 50 in a few months, haven’t played a gig on probably 15 years

Some people romanticize playing out, but when I think of all the bullshenanigans involved I just say no thanks.

12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I don't miss dragging around a 2x12 amp. I used a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 in my last band that played out and I really got tired of dragging it around. Now I mostly play at home and write and record in my home studio. My back likes it allot better and a 5w Champ is plenty. (Sadly it's broken rite now). I have a Blues JR as the backup. My 20W Jet City is awesome but overkill.

13. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I hurt my back pulling a Peavey 2x12 combo out of the trunk of a car. Had to play sitting down at that night's gig. Ouch.

14. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    2x12 would have been great! I was dragging around a peavey tmax head, crossover and multieffect 12 space rack with a 4x10 and old Peavey bw15 sub cabinet in my corolla multiple nights a week for a years lol. A 2x12 would have been light!

wonkenstein, mb doug and fadetoz like this.
  15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    heh.. you can always tell the seasoned weekend warriors. They have the least amount of gear. The newbies always carry bring way too much.

16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I had to man lol. I was up against 2 guitarists both with Marshall half stacks that liked to play on 11! Luckily I was in my late teens to early 20s so the back was still limber lol.

wonkenstein, mb doug and fadetoz like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    For bass for years I have used my GK Backline 600 (fits in a gig bag that had spare strings, cables, cords.) a bass over the shoulder, and a small cab with a single 15. 400 watts. If I need more for the room, well.. that place will have a PA. I played with plenty of half stacks, but then again usually ether they had to be more reasonable for the venues and music or i'd walk.

wonkenstein, mb doug and Bassman96 like this.
  18. A buddy of mine lost his girl, who was also the drummer in his band. She was killed by a drunk driver several years ago.
    I ran into him a short while ago. He's still playing and now retired and embraces life. I worried about him at first, but it's obvious he's living life as best as possible.
    That inspired me to be thankful for all I have.

Cheers, Barrie.

19. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    It's been 30+ years since I played a "Gig"!
    Still strumming, still enjoying :)

20. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    well me being 65 yrs . I only play out when asked by some one I know. Last paying gig about 4 yrs ago was for a friend who wanted me to do a acoustic Duo in a movie that never went anywhere.

Paul1985, wonkenstein and mb doug like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice