Bear nekkid: a first partscaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by drneilmb, Sep 23, 2019.

1. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Started the wipe-on poly tonight. I've got two coats done so far, but the stuff goes on very, very thin. I got the gloss poly, but with the grain un-filled, I think that it will be a fairly un-shiny surface.

1015191816a.jpg

The ugly look is growing on me, but it's probably just confirmation bias since I don't have the will or the skill to re-do it.

2. Two shots short of a 40 oz. quart … Buck Nekkid.
    Somethin' to listen to while you work on that piece.

Cheers, Barrie.

Jim Belaye, CVSteve and drneilmb like this.
  3. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I can only dream of playing this song some day on this guitar. Gonna need to build a better amp though I think.

4. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I'm gonna call a truce on finishing the body. It's pretty enough and the texture improved with some 0000 steel wool.

1017192136.jpg

1017192137.jpg

Next step is to finish the neck and then mount it using the two E strings the way you all taught me. Guess I need to do the ferrules and bridge too before then.

5. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Just a tiny bit of red-necking with the dremel to get these to fit.

"Never stop learning" apparently means "never stop screwing up". :)

1017192153.jpg

Angry Possum and Rat cam 68 like this.
  6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    if it’s not too late, I’d vote for this stuff instead of wood glue:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPINKS/?tag=squiertalk-20

I built a partscaster out of a GFS Palouwina body, and pretty much all of the screws just pulled out of the soft wood. I doused all the screw hole areas with this stuff and everything held fine.

Rat cam 68 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Ooooh buddy … that requires a drill press. But you know that now.
    Cheers, Barrie.

8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    For Dieselbilly, all ya need is a good pine telecaster (with no truss rod), a good old twin (or Deluxe Reverb) and a cable... Lol... If I had to, I'd recommend these two; "Rockabilly Funeral"-https://youtu.be/pdHwGqbFtck
    And "Semi Truck"-
    The guy's name is Bill Kirchen... He was in a band called "Commander Cody's Lost Planet Airmen"... They had a hit song with "Hot Rod Lincoln"... You mighta heard it... And Bill still does it (BLINDINGLY FAST) today... And he even throws in this AMAZING medley of cool guitar riff songs in it... The medley starts right at the 3:00 minute mark, check it out;

9. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Wipe-on poly for the neck to. Hard maple sure takes that finish better than the Paulownia did. It's gonna have a premature relic look for sure.

1018192233.jpg

Rat cam 68 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Putting the tuners on the neck so I can use the strings to center up the neck before I drill the pilot holes.

1019192208.jpg

I've never had the vintage style tuners before, they're going to fit well with the redneck thing this guitar has going on.

I think I need a much smaller drill bit and maybe some stainless screws before I can actually put them on.

And what the heck is a pin vise? ;)

Kenneth Mountain and RoyalWe like this.
  11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

71wWYUDsKtL._SL1500_.jpg

Rat cam 68 and drneilmb like this.
  12. Old Crow

Old Crow Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2019
    West Midlands UK
    Great project and best of luck with it. Yes! I've had problems with the so-called stainable wood filler or even glue stopping the stain penetrating. If it's an annoyance you could always paint it.

13. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Didn't get a pin vice (the guy at Ace Hardware had never heard of one, neither had my friend I jokingly refer to as the Tool Guy because you can borrow everything from him). But I did buy a tiny little #52 drill bit by comparing it in the package to the tuner set screw.

I drilled the holes on very slow speed with my cordless drill and they turned out fine. I screwed the little set screws in with some soap on the threads and set it up with two E strings.

1020192126.jpg

Looks even enough to me, so I marked the four holes and now I'm reading online to get the courage up to drill the holes in the neck. Looks like an 1/8" drill bit for the pilot hole and I think the page on Stew Mac agrees with that.

It made a couple notes when I was wiggling the neck. Telescope builders call it "first light" when they use a newly built scope for the first time. This one isn't there yet, but hearing those strings make sound got me wondering about "first tones" when you play a guitar that you built for the very first time.

What do you call that first time with a guitar?

14. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Well hell, that was easy. Glad I just went ahead and did it. Taped the drill bit for depth and did it vertically enough with the hand drill.

1020192157.jpg

And once you have holes, you might as well put som screws in them. A little soap on the threads and it sure looks like a guitfiddle.

1020192212.jpg

1020192212a.jpg

Tempting to put strings on it, but then I'm gonna want to do a setup so I'm going to bed instead.

Still needs string trees and wiring, but the big issue is that I haven't figured out how to mount the pickups. The only thing I've seen online requires drilling out the threaded holes in the pickup ears to put a wood screw through them. I'm hesitant to do that irreversible modification to the pickups.

Any ideas on how you would mount pickups with threaded holes directly to the body?

15. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Oops, double post

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Use screws smaller then the existing dia. rubber tubing or springs and carefully mount to the bottom of the pickup routes

17. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Strap buttons thanks to the kindness of @RetiredNSquired. Instagramming in the bathroom mirror.

1025191744.jpg

Still have to figure out the pickups. The biggest wood screw that will fit through the pickup's existing hole is a #2 and the longest ones at the hardware store are 1/2" long. I'm reconsidering something like pickup rings. Hell, maybe even a pickguard! Clear, maybe?

18. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I got impatient and put strings on even though I only have one pickup done.

1026191557.jpg

And it tunes up and plays a little bit. I haven't plugged it in yet, but I've got it twisted together for one pickup straight out the output jack. I'm still deciding on wiring choices, but I'm thinking about using the push-pull pot on the tone knob for series/parallel.

There's at least one dead spot, probably a result of a high fret, but I'll be happy to learn more about fret work getting a fret rocker and leveling things out in that area. It probably could use dressing on the ends of the frets too.

19. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Just plugged it in. Love the meaty, ballsy tone on the Dream90 pickups. Just played clean through my Roland JC-55 and if it can make that amp sound tough, then I'm going to like this a lot.

Next steps are to cut some more wood blocks to space up the other pickup and glue them in and screw the second pickup in. Then wire up the control panel.

20. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I've got the double posting gene apparently!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice