Battery powered FR travel speaker?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by drneilmb, Dec 6, 2019.

1. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I'm putting together a travel rig for work trips by airplane and car trips with the family.

I use my Zoom G1 FOUR almost every night for silent practice with headphones and it's a shoo-in for the travel kit: tuner, looper, drums, effects/amp/cab sims. But sometimes, I WANT to be heard by other people. I figure I can plug the headphone jack of the Zoom into a little full range speaker like people use for portable music and the amp/cab simulation will get me close enough for road trip purposes.

I'm bollocks on picking consumer electronics. Can anyone suggest a battery powered (ideally USB rechargeable) music speaker that has an 1/8" input? I'm sure there must be a million of these things out now with the phones and the Bluetooth, but I'm just looking for something with an aux in and good enough sound.

Anybody have something like that that they're happy with?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Neil

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    You're right, options are endless!!
    I'd have a look round your local pawnshops. They're a dime a dozen at pawnies, and often have a 30 day return policy if it sounds terrible. I picked up a decent Sony unit that was a fraction of the new price this way.
    Good luck

dbrian66 and drneilmb like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Bose has the best sounding one I've heard .

drneilmb and dbrian66 like this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I've plugged my guitar into both my Bose bluetooth speaker and my Marshall as well. The equalization does not fit electric guitar very well. I think they would be fine to amplify an acoustic electric. I would recommend a BlackStar Fly which sells for around $65.00 and runs on AA batteries. I run mine on NMHd rechargable batteries and they last a long time. Sounds great and makes the perfect travel speaker/amp. It's also small enough to fit in a carryon bag.

blackstar Fly Single.jpg

gearobsessed and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have one of these Bose speakers. Never played a guitar through it, but it has an 1/8 in input, it’s a usb chargeable battery, and sounds great playing music.

Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N32ICIO/?tag=squiertalk-20

I also have a Roland Micro Cube that is a great battery powered amp, but it might be too big for airplane travel. It will fit n a backpack, but your not going to put much else in there!

6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Two recommendations from me.

The first is the Blackstar Fly. Amazing little amp, also amazing as a speaker.

For the more portable style that you mentioned, I am a big fan of the Oontz brand. Sounds great, rechargable, waterproof, bluetooth or 1/8 inch wired input (use wired with guitar to reduce latency), if you buy two they become stereo.

I have a Behringer UCG102 external DAC for my cell phone (use an iRig if you have an iPhone instead of android). I use the Deplike app on the phone as a digital modeler. Guitar plugs into the Behringer, the Behringer into the phone, the phone's cpu does the modeling and sends the output back to the Behringer via USB, then over a 1/8 patch cable to the Oontz speaker. It sounds better than you would imagine. Not as good as a 12" speaker with tube amp, but not bad at all.

I'll bet your Zoom would work pretty well too, and simpler overall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073BVWRSP/?tag=squiertalk-20

7. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Here is a pic to give you reference on size of the Oontz speaker. IMG_20191207_105226.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice