bassbreaker 15 vs blues jr nos

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by horax, Nov 7, 2019.

1. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I got to try a bassbreaker 15 for the first time yesterday, and I admit I was blown away.
    Awesome, awesome amp.

The only thing I can compare it to is the BJ Nos tweed that I play on occassion whenever hte local stores have them. every time I play one of those, I leave saying, "someday I'll own one."

I wish I could play them side by side, but that just doens't happen out here.

Has anybody been able to play them both and compare them?

2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Bassbreaker is awesome. I played one and was really impressed. I have a BJ Tweed and like it allot too. They are different amps.
    Don't think you would be disappointed with either.

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma

Theres a few VS videos on YouTube

4. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I like the Bassbreaker. I have a VHT Special 6 Ultra, a wonderful, low watt amp, but wanted something with a little more oomph. I really wanted a Supersonic 22, but $1,000 + just wasn't justifiable. Bassbreaker was nice, but the VHT, at only 6 watts, sounded every bit as good, to me. The headroom and breakup seemed very similar.

Are you a fan of Peavey, at all? The Classic 30 II is EL84 based and comes with a decent Celestion speaker. The cleans are really good. It does everything pretty well.

5. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’ve wondered how both these amps compare to the Monoprice 15. I would hope the fenders are better, but by how much?

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I don't know about "better", but they're voiced differently. The MP15's tone stack is pure Marshall... more midrange than Fender.

RoyalWe likes this.
  7. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I recently had an mp15 and returned it. It was good, but not great.

I played a Bassbreaker 15 at the store and was mesmerized by it.

Huge diff in my opinion.

RoyalWe likes this.
  8. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    To me you just can't compare a $650 amp and a $250 amp.

backporchmusic likes this.
  9. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Bassbreaker 15: $650 new
    Blues jr nos: 600 new

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Why not? A friend of mine bought an MP15 and liked it better than his Blues Junior, which he sold. Another has an MP15 and an Egnater Tweaker 40 and gigs with his MP15.

It's unfortunate that the MP15 is known as a cheap amp that obviously isn't as good as expensive amps, even though its guts are nearly identical to the Laney Cub 12R. Not a clone, but circuit boards from the same factory, made of the same materials, with the same components. If it had black Tolex and said "Laney" on it and cost double, it would be considered a better amp.

Deciding whether he wanted the amp based on the sound and features he wants makes more sense. I believe @horax did that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    Pretty sure he was referring to the MP15($250) vs the Fenders($650). ;)

TimTheViking likes this.
  12. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Probably so.

And I thought the MP15 was a fine amp. Just didn’t hit the tonal qualities I was looking for. I prefer creaminess with a punch. The MO25 was creamy, but lacked punch when I wanted it.

BuddyLee likes this.
  13. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Yep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice