Autumn!!!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 20, 2018.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Here, a few weeks from now.

Vu-d'en-haut-grande-071004-.jpg

duceditor likes this.
  2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I did jam a little today, but this morning I mostly jellied. Crabapple jelly that is, 20 jars of it. It should last us a little while.

Gelée pomettes 2018.jpg

Loin Lover, duceditor and daan like this.
  3. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Ha, I deal with My sweet tooth by pickling beets and crab apples,...:D

Loin Lover likes this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We were hoping to make a big batch of quince jelly. Last weekend we discovered the deer had discovered our fruit filled tree and eaten every single piece of fruit on it.

Whaaa!

-don

Afrika61 and DrBeGood like this.

5. I had a nice fig tree until the deer hit the trunk with their antlers. The following season after it recovered, the racoons got all the fruit and broke most of the branches in the process. After too many repeat visits by deer and racoon, the tree finally gave up the ghost.

I did however visit a buddy in Victoria BC and he gave me a jar of his palm jelly made from one of his Pindo palms.

DSC05456.JPG

Cheers, Barrie.

Loin Lover and duceditor like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Get the deer, it should be a tasty one.

duceditor likes this.
  7. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Here's what I thought of when I saw the title of this great thread.

rorygman likes this.
  8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I had a bumper crop of apples this year courtesy of my late Fathers apple tree. So many in fact that the excess was tossed into the garden to be plowed in with the compost in a few weeks time(the citric acid does a great job of breaking the compost down even further):
    DSCF0354.JPG

9. Here we'd get fined or at the very least warned about leaving fruit on the ground. It's a bear attractant and the Conservation Officers are warning of sure things.
    That is a ton of apples though! Cheers, Barrie.

10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Trade ya some sweet pickles! The best jelly to reach my tastes buds was my aunt's crabapple.

Attached Files:

Afrika61 and DrBeGood like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Sure ! I'm in the backwoods too.

Loin Lover likes this.
  12. CamiTampa

CamiTampa Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2018
    Sarasota, Fl
    It’s autumn here. The high was only 94 degrees. The low was , may not have a had a low. Ugh.

Loin Lover likes this.
  13. Loin Lover

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I have had to wait for 95+ heat index days to cease before commenting on autumn, my favorite time of year.

The only passion I've had longer than music is baseball. Cooler weather = playoff baseball (now called "postseason" due to liberal wild card format). Unfortunately many games are on cable, we've cut the Disko Notwork cord. I suppose I'll feel better at 5 AM wake ups to pursue my other passion, deer hunting/nature watching/watching sunrises.

After working our garden almost daily since March, and harvest virtually over, autumn means turning it under. It's small enough (20' x 40') I do it by hand. This leads to digging up rocks which have grown prolifically and finding no telling what. I've got a good start on a '53 Buick. It's not a farm harvest but makes me appreciate growing some fresh veggies and canning.

Few leaves have begun turning, sassafras behind my house pictured. Our red maples and various oaks usually engulf us with gorgeous colors in October.

One down'fall' is PTSD vs giant acorns (shown on a 2x4, larger than white oak acorns, unknown variety). Them hitting the tin roof of my shop sounds like a .38 firing. Giant acorns always win. :-/

Attached Files:

14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    A blustery, rainy, dark 10°C. Yep, fall is here.
    Stay inside weather.

15. Loin Lover

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Pint, quart? I'm salivating all over the pic you posted. Message me and we'll do some harvest swapping.

16. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    It'd be nice, but it was tongue in cheek, as my backwoods are north of the border in Quebec.

Loin Lover likes this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    With the help of a neighbor/friend all our wood is stacked!

Come on Winter. Bring on what you may!

Stacking Done 3.jpg Stacking Done!.jpg Stacking Done! 2.jpg

:)

-don

Loin Lover likes this.
  18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That's a lot of firewood !

Got up this morning with a little chill in me bones. Jumped into the outside hot tub before breakfast. Went for a walk in the woods for a few hours. Fall has sure arrived, temperature didn't go over 10°C up to now for the day, and cloudy. Had lunch with da wife, and back in the hot tub for another sesh.

Now I feel comfy. I'll stay inside, paint a little, I've got a commision for a portrait. Play some guitar trying to get what the new Valve Jr is about. I'm not sure about that one. 5W is not much. I like some cleans with volume to play my P90s.

In progress ...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Loin Lover and duceditor like this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh, the light!

It is not just the changing color of the trees that makes Autumn so visually interesting. New Hampshire's northern clime sees the sun lower and lower in the sky as each month progresses towards the Winter solstice. That creates shadows and form, whereas light from directly above causes flatness. Shadows soften. And the blues/cyans are absorbed allow for the warmth we equate with fire.

Our weather here of late has been ever changing. And that, too, increases the interest of even static scenes.

Here's an early morning show. I cannot call it "typical" because with the almost minute by minute change there is no such thing.

But I can call it lovely. Eye candy. Warm to the eye, cool to the touch.

Autumn Morn.jpg

-don

20. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    After living in southern California for 19 years, I relocated to New England for real seasons. The first October I was here, it snowed, as if to give me a surprise welcoming present. It's been seven years now and I love the snow more than ever. I look forward to winter, when Christmas season arrives and the snowfall turns my neighborhood into a wonderland. I walk to my job on those days, and won't hear of riding the bus unless it's a full-on blizzard (in which case the buses probably won't run, LOL).

duceditor likes this.