Autumn!!!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 20, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Technically it is still "summer." And that for two more days. But all my senses -- sight, scent, the feel of the air on my face -- are shouting "Autumn"!

We had a cord of firewood delivered last week. It is the first wood we have actually purchased in about six or seven years. Its not to be burned this year -- we still have quite a bit -- maybe two season's worth of now totally seasoned wood from our last forest project. But I like to keep the racks full "just in case." And even supposedly "seasoned" wood in fact improves with a couple of more years of under cover storage, stacked, so that air can circulate around it.

This likely all sounds rather arcane to you city folk. (I was born and raised not too differently) But to country-living forum friends it will I think ring true and clear.

How do the rest of you feel towards the seasons changing? Love it as I do?

21687035_10212209489564893_3093391268601141205_o.jpg

-don

radiotech, theflow, Unit11 and 9 others like this.
  2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I can feel it here. Last week it went down to 31 degrees!

JoeInMichigan, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I love the summer, I love the hot, sunny blue sky days. I wish everyday was like this.

I live in the country, at the moment are a student in a city, moving back to the city (university) on Sunday.

I hate the Autmn, and the Winter, because it’s too cold for me haha. We only have electric fires at my family’s house. The specific ones we have is useless. But I stayed in America with some friends over Christmas some years ago. Upstate New York, where it was really snowy and freezing. They had a proper fire and we used to put wood onto the fire. That was absolute beauty, I loved that.

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Yes, there is something special about an open fire.

We have "central heat" in our home -- but keep the thermostat down in the 60s (f) so it only comes on on occasion. A woodstove is our preferred source of heat, with open fires reserved for when we can sit and just quietly enjoy them, or for "ambience" in the kitchen when entertaining, or in the Great Room for quiet times, or when enjoying billiards or cosy time around the bar.

Dressing for the season is key. Layered clothes. Sweaters and the like.

I actually prefer that to summer clothes. Some thing snug about it. (Jan does as well.)

Also key to us is that where we live the air is clean and crisp. Snow stays white until it melts. (Not like in more urban areas where its pristine beauty is quickly lost.) And having "no place to go" -- being able to tailor our activity to the weather -- takes some the anxiety out of it.

But Autumn is, to me, the best of all worlds. No snow. Wonderful walks. Crystal skies at night aglow with stars. And sleeping under a down comforter with the window open a bit so that the air is crisp and cool.

I/we love it all!

-don

The Great Room as seen from The Library Loft.jpg

AnnivesaryDinner.jpg

5. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    That sounds beautiful there, in my town in North Wales, it’s always rainy and windy all year round, and freezing (apart from the heatwave that comes once a year, usually June/July. Which is beautiful). My town is high in the mountains, why we get such conditions here I think.

City life at university is different, got more sunny weather than I do at home. A lot less snow (almost none). While it’s cool that I have good heaters at uni, it’s not like being at home in the country. You don’t see the beauty, the mountians, lakes or landscapes. It’s dull, no real sense of community, it’s not like being at home. I think I will be moving back or into the country when I graduate. It’s like they say “can never change a country boy” I guess:D

Your room looks beautiful

6. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    It's been 97 degrees here the past couple days with a heat index of 100. Our fall is around the first of Nov. And the coldest month is Jan. Where it might get down to 32 but by noon it is up to the 50's or 60's. I think I'm going to buy a place up north and keep this one for winter's. A couple years ago it was 80 on Christmas day.

JoeInMichigan, mb doug and daan like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Where's home HRL?

-don

JoeInMichigan likes this.
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’ve been calling it fall for almost a month. As soon as it becomes jacket weather, it’s fall to me. Usually about the first week of September.

9. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Sounds like us here.. you must be in the south. ;)

Still having to mow, heat advisories and mosquitoes eating me alive....ugh

I miss having seasons. :(

10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny how we can either love or hate there being four distinct seasons.

Some time ago Jan and I, under the guiding hand of our son, did a full "survey" of our possible choices for our retirement period.

We considered our likes and dislikes, our needs and out wants, in very great detail using the methods my son uses in major corporate project management decision making. Challenging every "fact" five times.

In the end we realized that there was a narrow band of locations that would satisfy us. Here was one. The south western portion North Carolina and Tennessee also would have worked for us.

Cost comparisons (taxes, moving, buying and selling costs, etc.) made our staying put seem wisest.

Most of my kin has moved to FL and CO.

My parents loved FL. But the flatness didn't suit me, not the humidity and heat.

CO had appeal, but the social/political/cultural tide there is rapidly heading in a direction that i do not favor.

So here we stayed. "Happy as clams at high tide" as they say.

And the seasons are a big part of it. The "Live free or die" philosophy the remainder.

-don

11. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I love the changes in the seasons but fall generally is just beautiful here. The freshness in the air, the cool nights, the leaves. The Hudson River Valley is at its best in the fall. And after a couple of weeks of miserable humidity, the weather broke yesterday and it feels cooler and crisper today. I am ready.....

12. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Fall/autumn is my absolute favorite season. The older I get, the less heat-tolerant I am, so summer is... nice, but not my favorite. So the idea of living somewhere where it’s 100 degrees and 90% humidity for months on end, doesn’t appeal to me at all. Winter feels like it lasts 10 months here (my fault for living in northern Wisconsin!) So when spring finally happens, it’s GLORIOUS. Seeing all the green just blooming everywhere after nothing but gray and snow is awesome. The month of September, is my favorite though, where it’s cool at night, 90% of the bugs are gone, it gets warm (but rarely hot and humid) during the day, and as the fall progresses, all the trees start changing colors. I would gladly trade a month of winter, to make fall longer! A good friend of mine grew up in south Florida, and has nothing good to say about it (probably why she moved to Minneapolis, huh? :) ) and another friend grew up in Mobile AL and just loves it here (well, in MN where she is now) There’s something definitely to be said for having 4 distinct seasons! Although by the beginning of March when we could still have 2 solid months of winter left I start really thinking about people with winter homes....

JoeInMichigan and mb doug like this.
  13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I like nice a sunny fall day, but less the rainy bone drenching one. I then call it mud season.

But with climate change, fall and spring are getting shorter and shorter. It's like Mother Nature decided to go the corporate way and please shareholders, by closing those in between seasons. It now seem like we have summer and winter, with a few short shifting weeks in between.

But still ... I like fall for its more reliable winds for windsurfing. Just came back from the summer cottage where it's windy all the time. Here's a photo of my last ocean session there for this year.

180912-6 La Grave.jpg

I'm now landlocked and will end my season on sweet water. Lake Champlain is it. Calling for 25 to 35 knots tomorrow, that should be fun. It's nice to still having fun doing it at 65 !

14. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I love fall, love the 4 seasons here in michigan. Taking grandsons to corn maze this weekend,Apple farm next,perfect time of year for outside activities,plus it's hunting and football seasons! With firewood it's all about the BTU ,drier the better, ran a woodstove at my old house in the sticks before moving to the concrete jungle. Would burn 3-4 cords a year. 9-12 face cords, would have a fire or two in fireplace as well a week but always the stove. If I'd of stayed there,I'd probably bought a corn stove though. Have heard good things of them. I had propane fuel there and it was expensive,here is natural gas,quite a bit cheaper but still thinking of putting an insert or stove in. Growing up in ky.burning coal i guess has never left me.

15. Generally speaking, we have two seasons … wet (late Sept - April) with November being the worst and then a dry season. Two totally contrasting conditions.

Cheers, Barrie.

duceditor and JoeInMichigan like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One more Autumn treat -- one now on my mind because I just enjoyed it. Perfect weather to enjoy the spa! :)

Spa!.jpg

-don

Taurus likes this.
  17. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier Talker

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Fall fan here. Summer heat and humidity is a killer for me. Allergies during this season force me to stay in a/c. Plus, ever since having heart attack and bypass surgery 10 yrs ago makes me unable to tolerate the H&H of summer.
    Plus, owning a 2 seater sports car, driving with the top down is a pleasure in the slight chill of Oct/Nov.

duceditor likes this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Brewing my morning espresso at a bit before six this morning. Looked out the window, and... zow!

Late September Morn.jpg

-don

19. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Autumn was the one season that I missed while living in South Africa. The high veldt, where I was born, has a short spring where life gets in as much growth as possible before the African summer sun roasts everything but there was nothing to really compare with the riot of autumn colors that appear in Manitobas fall season,...

Loin Lover and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  20. And I always thought that Quebec and Vermont had that title. :)

It's very evergreen here with conifers and broadleaf foliage trees and shrubs. We do get some fall coloring, but nothing like back east. Cheers, Barrie.

Afrika61 likes this.