Audacity question

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Tconroy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Just wondering if .... once you download Audacity onto your computer will it work without the internet??? I want to set up my extra computer downstairs just to record but dont have the internet down there and dont really want to run cables or buy any wireless software. I have looked on line but cant find anything on this subject. thanks in advance.

2. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    Audacity runs stand alone.

KG7IL and Caddy like this.
  3. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Right. Once it's installed and drivers are loaded and it works, you can disconnect from the Internet and use it just fine.

4. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Thanks guys. Now to get a keyboard, mouse and a monitor to set it up and I will be fine!

so1om likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I love it.

I'm a mechanical engineer, I also teach one class a week at a community college. I'm on a computer all day. People are SHOCKED that I essentially don't have a home computer (or money to get one). We have a basic one the family needs to complete school assignments and whatever work things my wife may need to do. I can't have it fully dedicated to recording -in fact not even worth it to have it on the system. And outside of eBay and some amazon, we don't do any financials on it either. 1998!

Caddy and Tconroy like this.
  6. DallasArbiter

DallasArbiter Squier-Meister

Nov 9, 2014
    arkansas
    But you may want to download a bunch of free VST plugins too. Audacity does have some plugins, but there's thousands of good VST plugins for free all over the net.

7. Armada50

Armada50 Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2019
    Texas USA
    Connect your downstairs computer upstairs, download the program, disconnect it & take it back downstairs ... or use a 1 cent CD or USB thumb stick, download Audacity to either & install it downstairs. Other options, buy a wireless card or buy a new wireless computer.

You don't need a MIDI Cable, for a keyboard. Modern Yamaha keyboards have an output jack, that connects to your CPU's microphone jack. It records perfect. Yamaha is better than Casio & that's it for keyboards.

Caddy likes this.
  8. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Just a note for audacity to record there are a couple of settings in windows 10 to allow it to access the microphone/line in. A good security thing but will send you up the wall on Win10 when audacity says there is no audio device.

Don't be me!

9. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    I haven’t used Audacity in awhile but was what I used forever and it’s pretty great. You can do quite a bit with it.
    I used to like to load up stuff and slow down to work out tabs hee hee.
    For the price it can’t be beat.

10. Zipslack

Zipslack Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2018
    Brookhaven, MS, USA
    Don't skip the link to download and install the LAME encoder library so you can output MP3 format.

JK202 and optofonik like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice