Attenuators

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by fadetoz, Jan 9, 2020.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I have this made in USA Fender Blues Deluxe. I can turn it down to where it is as low as it can go and it's still a little too loud for in the house most of the time. So I was considering selling it but it sounds so good I just can't.
    It's such a nice amp and sounds amazing. So i'm thinking I'll get an attenuator that mounts inside.
    There are a few options but they are expensive or can get very expensive. I am considering building one with an L-PAD. Do any of you have experience with the L-PAD? any advise on a cheap option. I have a Behringer one on my Jet City but it is external. I could rig it in there but wanted something smaller in this combo.

82023737_2949046298439443_7513499471318089728_o.jpg

cool gouhl and jamndad like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Are you saying that turning down the master volume doesn't get it low enough?

3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yeah it's so loud. It's a 40 watt tube amp. Sounds incredible but is just so loud. I mean it's usable but I'd like to be able to turn it up a little without blowing out the windows.

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I use a cheap Reyes attenuator on my amps. It works fine for me.

fadetoz likes this.
  5. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
  6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes, this one:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 1.47.16 PM.png

I have two. One mounted inside my little Champ type "Sweet Baby" where it's sound is just super. And one affixed to the rear of my Supro Blues King 12 where its effect is little more than a volume drop.

But maybe the later is what you want?

Note that the one you order must be of the correct impedance -- that to match the speaker being used.

Carl's Custom sells thru Reverb. He sometimes accepts offers lower than the posted price, but not unreasonably lower.

-don

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yeah I have the same on that Don has..Works real well for me on my Fender Deluxe..

fadetoz likes this.
  8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Thanks guys. I'll probably get one of the Carl's. I've read mixed reviews but I imagine it all depends on the amp and what you want out of it.
    I think one of them would work well. I was considering building one but it's not much more to get one that is all ready to go...

jeepster61605 and drewcp like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Strange. Maybe the master volume pot has a problem. All the ones I've used go down to silent at the low end.

drewcp and fadetoz like this.
  10. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    As a total off topic comment... Nice guitar, AS73? and with P90s! That is got to sound great through that amp!

fadetoz likes this.
  11. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I can turn it down to where it is silent. But the lowest it goes and actually makes sound is louder than I want it. Not an issue when the family is not home.

13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just as a point of information, attenuators such as the Carl's Custom are different in purpose and function than a Master Volume control, and on some amps have a very different sonic effect.

A Master Volume lowers the output of the preamp stage. This allows the preamp to be driven at any level (including over driven inherently, or via a boost pedal) while letting the power stage drive the speakers to the desired volume level.

Users of amps at gig or club level know that the sound such produces can be quite different than the sound their amp produces at such levels -- not the same sound just lower in volume. This is because much of the sound of such an amp, sized appropriately to the venue, is producing power stage coloration, not just preamp stage.

An attenuator follows the power stage and thus can include its inherent sound at any given volume level. And using both it and the amp's Master Volume allows the user to blend each stage of added color.

Still lacking, though (and often the reason why some find fault with their attenuator) are two things: Speaker distortion -- both frequency and compression, and ear impact -- the fact that we hear frequency distribution differently at different volume levels.

All the above is why there is no guaranty that one will get the sound they are looking for with an attenuator.

In my case the Carl's unit allows the Sweet Baby to sound exactly as I hoped it to. Like a small amp (it is just that -- 5 watts into a 8 inch speaker) driven really hard. I set the amps volume at eight and a half, lower the volume with the attenuator, and she just wails.

The Supro though is quite different. At 15 watts I have never heard it driven hard. Thus lowering the attenuators output just changes the volume -- the power amp sounds basically as it does at a too loud room setting, just less loud. Useful, yes. But no big sonic deal as is the unit with the Sweet Baby.

-don

14. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Man, that's what I love so much about the VHT Special 6 Ultra. Very loud for 6 watts, but incredible, too, at low watt settings, paired with a 12" speaker. Very tameable. Then, plumbed to an extension cab, it just gets better. I can close the bedroom door and not really bother anyone.

drewcp and duceditor like this.
  15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

That definitely sounds like a pot problem. It either has something wrong, or it needs to be an audio taper and it's not.

drewcp likes this.
  16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Possible it would work better with a better pot that has a better sweep on the lower end. But I think an attenuator would be a good option as well. May look into that. But it really doesn't seem like it's bad. The output seems to do fine through the rest of the volume sweep. I mean it's a 40 watts tube amp and I'm trying to get bedroom volumes out if it. Idk.. never tried this model. I'll have that checked the first time I need it serviced anyway.

I know what you are saying though. I know there are other models that they use the wrong pot and a simple pot fixes the sweep. Like it jumps from 0-5 and then works as expected through 6-10

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I have a couple amps in that power category, and both have MVs that go smoothly to zero. I don't meant to try to convince you to go in a different direction if you want an attenuator though. :)

18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The Reyes version, that I use, is no longer in production/business from what I can find, but it also has brightness and bypass switches.

[​IMG]

duceditor and fadetoz like this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Well the volume sweep is really not an issue because I am wanting to actually turn it up to get the tubes cooking a little more and use the attenuator to get the volume manageable. The sweep is ki
    nof a non issue for me as far as what I'm going for. I'll probably do some testing with the attenuator I have and then get the Carl's one if I like how it works for me.
    If I ever have it on the bench I'll have that pot checked for sure though.

duceditor, drewcp and Triple Jim like this.
  20. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    So there is not an issue with my amp. It was like you said, It's the type of pot they used before they picked what pot to use in the amp.
    I'm not rushing out to have a tech work on it though. hahaha
    The Carl's attenuator may be a better option but I thought this was interesting. I actually have a volume pedal I could put in the loop already.
    So it looks like I have 2 options that are not expensive. I kind of like how this one in the video just plugs in so no mounting it in the amp and no pedals and cables.

I have this which I think is the same thing just not as slick.
    MVIMG_20200109_215944.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Triple Jim likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice