Anyone still using a Mustang IV? Looking for Advice.

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by RegularJim, May 22, 2019.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    This question is specifically for owners/users (past or present) of the Mustang IV (V2).

I have had mine for going on 3 years now, right after I started playing guitar. I really enjoyed it when I first got it (new toy), but now the magic is gone. It's still probably just as good as it was when it was new, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it as much as I did back then.

I've been in the Fuse community and have tried and downloaded many presets, but everything seems very bass heavy, maybe "boomy" is a good word. I've tried adjusting bass level, and experimented with different "cab" settings, moved it closer to and further from the wall, which helps some, but there's still a lot of low end that I can't seem to adjust out. This happens with single-coils and humbuckers, but the humbuckers are bassier(?).

Here are some theories:

- It's because of where I use the amp. I have a small home office (approx. 8' x 10'). Could it be that I need access to an arena to allow this thing to breathe properly?
    - I've developed as a player, and have "outgrown" it, so to speak.
    - I've never learned to use the thing properly.
    - Maybe it was never that good to begin with.

Is there anyone out there that has had the same experience with their Mustang IV? Does anyone have a good solution?

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Try turning cab modeling off and just adjust the EQ settings on the amp model according to the room and volume you are playing at the time. I feel like the cab stuff over-EQ's things if that make any sense

RegularJim likes this.
  3. brentg

brentg Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2015
    I don't have IV but have the Mustang 3 100 watt 1x12 and i was kinda in the same mindset. I like yourself never found a preset that worked for me.
    Here is what I do.
    Start with a basic amp I use Fenders
    I use the Princeton cab.
    Put a good external compressor front of amp
    I have also had good luck with a Joyo american pedal in effects loop... the joyo really helps with any boom problems another whole eq section.
    Run master at 3 or 4
    run volume and gain at room pleasing levels.
    Eq at your choice per room.
    small plate verb and light chorus per taste, no other internal pedals.
    Also the sag and bias adjustments in advanced section can help get better tone.

The above setup has giving me cranked tube like setting without blowing the walls out.

DrBeGood and RegularJim like this.
  4. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, I got a great deal on a Fender Mustang IV V2 from my local GC, I brought it home and did not really care for too many of the presets, I turned off the cab modeling, tweaked some settings, downloaded some patches, but still was not happy with the sounds I got from it, I sold it to a local guitar player who has a band and tours locally around here and he could not believe the deal I gave him, I just passed on to him the deal I got from GC, I bought a Roland JC40 and have never looked back, sometimes you just have to move a piece of gear to find something better.

5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Did the same with a II V2 and then again this week with a Katana100.

6. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Didn't have a IV, but dealt with some of this with a III.

1. Decouple it from the floor. Put it on something.
    2. Then, combine that with keeping it well away from the wall.
    3. Turn off the cab/speaker modeling, as others have said. Find the native voice that the cab/speakers have.

Good luck with it.

7. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I would for get the cab sim. find the cleanest amp the go into the amps settings turn every thing except vol and eq controls off now adjust it as close as you can to the sound you want. if it is still too bass'y check and see if you have a compressor setting on it or a voice setting to make it less bass. if that dosent work you can try a eq pedal to lessen how much bass it picks up. I own a original G Dec and it has may settings just for the amp.

8. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Update:

I put it on a wooden stand I built for a different purpose. I built the stand with rubber feet and the stand is sitting on the carpet instead of the tile floor.

I had it about a foot from the wall, but I dragged it out to the middle of the floor (about 3 ft from the wall).

I turned off the cab sims, but turns out I didn't need to after doing #1 and #2. But I still may do that at a later time.

Didn't need to buy a compressor or EQ pedal

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Jay Jackson, AllroyPA and DrBeGood like this.
  9. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Hmmm... ok.

1. You can't reduce the bass enough with the bass control? Perhaps you can explain the bass problem a little more.

2. Maybe it's just a change in your thinking? Not being facetious, here. A person can focus enough, too much, on a single thing and it becomes the only thing.

drewcp likes this.
  10. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Maybe I wasn't completely clear on my previous post. The things you said worked, and I was letting you know that I appreciated yours (and everyone else's) assistance with the matter. Thanks again for your helpful post.

radiotech likes this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Another satisfied customer !
    Aren't we good or what ?

radiotech likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Groovy. Play on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice