Anyone seen the mini jazzmaster yet?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by cool gouhl, May 14, 2020.

1. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Saw a you tube review of one yesterday, it wasn't good. Just wondering if he got a bad one or they're all bad? squier-mini-jazzmaster-dpb.jpg

BorderRadio, mb doug and strummer101 like this.
  2. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I’d get one just for the neck personally, but they do look cool.

mb doug likes this.
  3. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    I saw one YouTube review and the guy said it was awful. Wasn't built to any kind of pitch, couldn't stay in tune at all, and bad pickups.

Maybe he got a dud, but I don't think it'll replace the Bullet Mustang for anyone.

Beachtrax and mb doug like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    All super short scale guitars suffer from tuning stability issues, because the string tension is so low. The mini Epiphones have the same problem. It's not a QC issue, but a design issue. You can improve it by putting 11s or 12s on them.

Eddd, mb doug, drewcp and 1 other person like this.
  5. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    you are absolutely correct, and is why I have heavy strings on my duo-sonic

rbh32, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  6. benjammin420

benjammin420 Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    I haven’t seen any new guitars since the stores closed in March. I’ve been curious about these, but I had a mini Jackson for a while and the fun factor wore off. The mini Strats I’ve played were well built, I’d be surprised if these weren’t as good (there will always be some bad eggs)

Eddd, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Is it the full scale 24" one, or the 22" ones made in the 60s?

mb doug likes this.
  8. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Not a "ringing endorsement".:eek:

cool gouhl and mb doug like this.
  9. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I only made it halfway through. He said the pickups sounded distorted so he rolled down the tone? That doesn't make any sense. Blaming the tuners for tuning instability? Tuners are rarely the problem.

This guy is not trustworthy in my opinion

mb doug, benjammin420 and DougMen like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Anybody with a Gopro or smartphone can now be an instant guitar expert on YouTube.

mitch_cumsteen, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  11. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    The guy is an idiot.

mb doug likes this.
  12. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    I've found he does decent reviews, focussed on lower budget guitars. His Bullet Mustang review swayed me to get one, he followed up with a setup, including change to 10s. I previously had a mini strat & recall I put 11s on that. Maybe same treatment would make mini jm play better.

Beachtrax, drewcp and mb doug like this.
  13. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I owned a pre CBS music master short scale in red, it was weird to play but higher tunings it played good. It was not a good all around guitar, more of a one trick pony, good for certain songs ,currently I own a MIM Duo-sonic. Love it, best offset I ever owned.

drewcp and mb doug like this.
  14. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    One of the guys I work with has one of these, he reckoned that straight out of the box it was unplayable.
    He recut the nut a little, polished the frets, put 11's on it and set it up, but it would not stay in tune.
    The pickups are as good as on the Bullet Mustangs according to him.

I was interested in buying one because for the price they look great, although he said to think about factoring in the cost of some replacement tuners, new strings etc.

The tuners on my first Bullet Mustang look like similar quality to the ones that are on the JM Mini and they were rock solid though so maybe there's just a couple of duff examples out there?

15. garthmoore

garthmoore Squier Talker

Feb 23, 2020
    Washington, DC
    Why not just buy a Jaguar with him buckets?

16. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    My opinion from a personal experience..
    I think it’s more the scale length than guitar quality myself.
    I’ve never seen any in the 22.5” or shorter range that will stay in tune or intonate.
    I’ve never had a problem with 24” but 22.5....forget it.

I went on a kick and wanted one of the Ibanez mikro guitars, in that 22.5” scale range..
    Bought it, got it home and...no joy, could not get to stay in tune much less intonate, sounded awful.
    Returned to store and went through every one in the store thinking it was something wrong that a different guitar could fix.
    Tech put 12s on one to see if it would help,...nope. No joy..
    Left with money back , tried another store in town thinking bad batch but nope, the same problem.

I have the opinion that anything below 24” just won’t work well. Evidently 1.5 “ is a make or break measurement between intonating and tuning and not.

Beachtrax and drewcp like this.
  17. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    IT AIN'T A JAZZMASTER (of any kind or size) IF IT'S GOT HUIMBUCKERS!!
    D'uh!

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Nut

Huimbuckers. Maybe a typo there?

Hmm. Better not tell Thurston Moore or Lee Renaldo. Or many other players who dropped double coils or even P90s into JMs/Jags

I have a nice Squier JM with humbuckers, because I like the size of the body coupled with them. Same reason I like Telecasters with neck 'buckers or Strats with HH set ups.

With most things in life, I don't do absolutes, guitars, bikes included.

[​IMG]

19. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I’ve had to play with the saddles/bridge ALOT to get 22.5 to intonate (longer intonation screws, cutting bottom of saddles at an angle, cutting saddle screw heads, even had to remove one screw saddle), but it is possible.. And heavier strings is definitely a must (11s are what I use, or 10 in Chromes). Both of mine are Strats with Strat Mini necks, and I’m 90% sure a Tele three saddle bridge would be much easier do do this with.. but what’s done is done.. :D
    If you have a dream, then anything’s possible..
    Also, I really want one of those maple mini necks.. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice