Anyone Ever Try One of these TV Yellow...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Not trying to be negative but I had one in the worn cherry with the P90's and I tried so much to like it but it always felt cheap and more like a Guitar Hero controller than a guitar. Maybe it's because I'm not a small guy at 220# but after about a week it sat in the case more than it got played so it went on the selling block.

Different strokes for different folks obviously :D

theflow and Kickstand like this.
  2. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't think it's a size/weight issue. I'm 6'10", 250 pounds, XXL glove size, and I love my worn black P90 Special. But then, my friends tell me that even my 5-string basses look small in my hands. :p

theflow, Caddy and DaveDrums like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Men and guitars are a lot like men and women. There are things most of us like in common -- and others that simply grab your heart or don't.

I've known guys who totally flipped for a woman that did nothing to me. And I'm sure the opposite was true with lots of ladies I've liked. (Not Jan. Every guy loves her!) ;)

Some people like weight and solidity. Others light so that it nearly disappears.

Some like a neck that feel substantive. Others a neck that feels svelte.

And then there is the finish, the sound, the amount of glitz or lack of same.

Its all to cool to me.

-don

mb doug, theflow, Kerry Brown and 3 others like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One what? ;)

-nod

theflow likes this.
  5. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I do have to say too, I love the "worn" finish that Epiphone does.

I've even found myself playing my black Epiphone LP Traditional Pro, which has a shiny front, and a "worn" back and neck, and wishing that the worn finish extended over the entire guitar.

I like on the worn LP Specials, how the area around the knobs absorbs the oil from your fingers and gets an even more worn finish. I did sand the back of the neck so that it's even more worn, but it's the smoothest, fastest feeling guitar neck I have.

So, yes, I guess I'd have to say that the worn LP P90 Specials "do it" for me. :)

theflow, duceditor and Caddy like this.
  6. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I had a 'worn' Epiphone SG G400 for a while. Strangest thing... most of the body was a kind of matte finish, but in the parts where there was *real* wear - ie upper rear bout - the finish had actually gone shiny and slick.

It was like the anti-nitro!

theflow and nobucks like this.
  7. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I like that as well. Interesting that these worn finish get shiny where there is wear, just the opposite of what glossy guitars do.

BTW, I also have an Epi Traditional Pro. A 2014 honeyburst (my favorite LP finish). Another great guitar with a great feeling neck.

theflow, nobucks and duceditor like this.
  8. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Do miss my honeyburst standard. Also my favourite LP finish. I had modded mine up as a clone of Jimmy Page's. Had to sell it when money got tight.
    20161025_212752.jpg

9. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nice Standard. I think I'd miss that one too. :(

The finish on the "worn" Epiphones doesn't just look very thin, it is very thin.

I didn't do any excessive sanding on the neck of my P90 Special, but I managed to go through the color finish in a couple of places. It's not through to bare wood, though, even though it looks like it in the pic. It's still as smooth and shiny as the black parts.

I'm not into relic guitars just for the look of them, but the wear on this neck is honest, IMO, because I did it to improve the feel. That it looks cool too is an added benefit. :)

And, yes, notice that after sanding, the worn finish didn't get the satin look that a gloss finish gets. The worn finish got glossy! o_O

pun06.jpg

theflow, Caddy and squierTony like this.
  10. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I really gotta get one of these rock machines.

theflow, Caddy and nobucks like this.
  11. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Forget the TV Yellow, though. Come over to the Dark Side. ;)

Robb likes this.
  12. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I'm looking at a black one on clist right now.

nobucks likes this.
  13. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Is it this one? He has it listed as a Special II, but, obviously, he's off by one number.

He should move on the price substantially, esp. with the chips in the finish. You can get a new one, when it's not on sale, for $139.

14. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Lol yup

nobucks likes this.
  15. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    I've wanted one on an off for a while.

16. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    I've got a musician friend in the next town about 35 miles away. We talk pretty regular
    on the phone mostly about music and equipment. I didn't even tell him about me getting my Special l. Every piece of equipment he gets is top dollar/top notch. It wouldn't even enter in his mind about getting an Epi Special l just because of the price point alone would disqualify it for him. The last guitar be bought was a hand crafted 335 copy--can't remember the name but it was $4000+. So yeah, I didn't tell him because the Joy of the TV Yellow Special L is not something he could comprehend----he would not verbally make fun of it to me but in his mind he would think, "Duh". People that have that kind of attitude don't really bother me or offend me, I'll celebrate with them their acquisition of expensive amps and guitars but only share with your guys the love and appreciation of a great deal and value like our little jewel, simply because you can see it and you get it! Platefire

17. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    How many of our beloved "cheap" guitars would that $4000+ buy? I could have a room full for sure plus a few amps that I want to boot.

18. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    With $4k you could buy 24 Special l's and $400 left for an amp

19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Interesting paradigms. Which would I prefer to have?

There is currently no guitar that costs $4000 calling out to me. (Actually there is no guitar at all calling out to me.) But lets say the cosmic quiz show insisted that I spend $4000 on guitars. -I had twenty minutes to place my order or the money would disappear.

Would I want 40 Epi Specials? Nope.

I have one. I really, really, enjoy it. But owning two would not double the pleasure. Forty would not increase it forty fold.

No. And in fact would not increase it at all. It'd just create more music-room clutter. Storage issues.

My most costly/valuable guitars are my older Gibsons. The most expensive bought-new guitar I own is the SG Supreme. (Jan just found the sales slip for that -- it cost her some $1700. Ouch!)

I once played that regularly. Less so now because humbuckers aren't presently the sound I hear in my head.

Did it give me pleasure. Yup. Lots of it.

More than my my Epi Junior or Special?

Perhaps for a time. That was because when it was 'my sound' I benefited from it true excellence. And because, damn! it was (is) pretty! You know... figured maple top, fancy inlays, gorgeous neck binding. All that.

Presently my most played guitar is Ol' Yella -- my TV Yellow Epi Special. But although played considerably less often I'd say the guitar that excites me most right now is the D'Angelico Jan gave me the Christmas before last.

That guitar absolutely thrills me. It playability. Feel. Sound. Looks.

Its pure "quality" -- the craftsmanship, the materials -- all that -- make just holding it special. A true pleasure.

One D'Angelico Excel or 14 Epi Specials? The D'A for sure. No question.

Back to the Cosmic Quiz... What would I buy if I HAD to spend $4000 on a guitar? HAD too.

Silly answer, even to me, but I expect it'd be a Fender Custom Shop, hand made by a named Master (John Cruz?), Jazzmaster. In Shoreline Gold.

Worth the money? Not a chance.

Would it make better music than my VM Squier? Doubtful.

But it would be sweet. Of that I am certain. And its mystique and panache would give me a certain silly pleasure.

I don't need 40 of nothin. (Although another 40 years of life with Jan sure sounds good.)

Hmmm... So where's that Cosmic Quiz Game being played?

-don

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017