Anyone Ever Try One of these TV Yellow...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Aug 8, 2017.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    I love my TV Yellow (and my Worn Cherry) P-90 Specials! OK, I also love them with the Humbuckers (TV Yellow and Worn Cherry). Four wonderful guitars for a little less than $400 total. Yes, it is a sickness... but lately, I'm infatuated with my Bullet Strats.

theflow, DaveDrums, duceditor and 2 others like this.
  2. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Like you, I am hooked on these Special 1's. Had the worn black P-90, have the yellow P-90 and have a worn red with HBs. Also have an Epi LP Jr. with a HB. Swapped out the HBs in the Special for alnico 5s and the HB in the Jr. for an alnico 2. Stock ones were just hotter than I like.

All three have open gear Grover tuners. Didn't even have change the bushings for them.

I wouldn't mind have one of each color in both HBs and P-90s (Well, other than black). Just fun guitars.

theflow and nobucks like this.
  3. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yellow is the new Black? ;)

theflow, duceditor and squierplayer like this.
  4. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Just got back from Nashville about an hour ago, but didn't have time to check out 2 guitars that I had plans on, and I could have checked out a p-90 special, would have been about 5 times cheaper also. With the good reviews and the price I need to make it a must do.

5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If I was a stranger and came upon this thread with postings from complete unknowns I'd think you all bonkers. I mean how good can a sub $150 guitar be?

But I'm not a stranger and I know you guys. Dang if it all ain't true.

Blimey!

-don

theflow, nobucks and Caddy like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Real nice Kerry ... but did you try the one we're talking about ? I've had both and if it wasn't for the small neck of the SG, I would have been hard pressed to tell which one I liked best. But the LP won. It is EXACTLY the same feeling as that SG, but with a thicker neck ... and 3 times cheaper. It's like a single cut SG.
    You should at least go play one.

But that SG is something else, unique. I hate that the neck was so slim, because I really loved it. I sold my Strat Classic Vibe for the same reason and with the same regrets.

7. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016

theflow likes this.
  8. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    Thanks, Don & Caddy!

theflow and duceditor like this.
  9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2014
    Squamish
    Yes, I've tried the Special but only the humbucker model. As I get older and my arthritis progresses I find I prefer slimmer necks. I also have an Epi Les Paul Jr with a P90. I use it mostly for slide. I find the P90s in the SG have a better tone. Don't know if they are different pickups (both Epiphone) but I much prefer them. I've had many P90 guitars and the pickups in this SG are best I've heard. Better than the couple of Gibson's with P90s I've owned.

theflow and DrBeGood like this.
  10. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Saw a picture of a gold SG on ebay the other day. That shape and colour are a beautiful combination. Might get my hands on an HH version sometime down the road...

theflow likes this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    You're right, they are great. They might be P90 Pro or something. Different than the ones in the LP Special. Very articulate and smooth, when dialed properly. It's easy to make a P90 growl, less so to find one that is sweet when played clean.

theflow likes this.
  12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

How do the stock Special P90s compare to the Guitar Madness P-94s? I know you have compared the P94s to Gibsons.

theflow likes this.
  13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Different animals when played live. A P94 will never sound exactly like a good P90 and the ones in the Special ARE good. A good P90 has that bell like chime that other pups don't have. Maybe a P94 in a hollow body could get close.

But when recorded, they can get very close to one another. REALLY close ...

This is not the Epi SG Special, but some Tyson Tone P90 in an Epi LP Special.
    https://soundcloud.com/drbgood/tom-petty-04

This is the P94 from GM
    https://soundcloud.com/drbgood/2-jay-turser-jt50-custom-with

The Tyson Tone P90 Wraptail 57's are hotter than the ones in the Epi SG, so a bit less articulate. But we're splitting hairs here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Great guitars! Nice thin neck profile. Excellent P-90 growl. Fantastic value!!

theflow and duceditor like this.
  15. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Thanks for posting the clips. Nice sounds and nice playing! Would be hard for me to pick between them. The price of the P94s is sure right at $35 a set delivered. But a local music store has a pair of the Epi P-90s that I think I can get for $20/set if I can wait it out a bit. May try to do this for my budget build. Thanks again.

theflow and Caddy like this.
  16. grizmit

grizmit Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2015
    I can't speak to the P94s, but the stock P90s on my Epi Special are really an incredible bang for buck. I've posted this demo elsewhere on ST, but since you're tone shopping, here's a sample of my P90s through my rig, FWIW.

jeff_hatcher, theflow, Robb and 6 others like this.
  17. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    Maybe it's just me but beside the great play-ability, looks and sound of the Special l---- I also get into the history this little jewel represents. The slab body originally meant to be a student guitar over the course of time has turned out to be a favored rocker. I guess the models over time would be the Jr., Special, Melody Maker and such?

The P-90 was the for-runner of the humbucker and even though the humbuker took center stage for a long time, the P-90 is back with a vengeance. P-90's are hot these days, no pun intended.

Also the wrap around bridge is a nice piece of history. Hard to believe the first ones was just a round bar without any intonation ridges??? which was added a few years down the line.

I don't know if the neck represents anything Gibson/Epiphone historical but it sure is sweet. I also love the location of the mater vol/tone.

So even though the Special l is a new budget ax, it has a very cool vintage cosmetic vibe going with elements of the 50's student guitars yet is very much a stand out individual axe. Definitely when your playing it you have the feeling it is truly "Special". Platefire

theflow, DaveDrums, grizmit and 4 others like this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Enjoyed that run down Platefire.

Things that last generally last for a reason. That Gibson was willing to take this iconic design and make a truly desirable low priced guitar based on it is to me truly to their credit. May they make a fortune selling them!

Okay, we speak so much about the goodness of these. Are there any ways their 'cheapness' shows through?

The tuning machines, yeah. Workable, but not desirable.

The finish. This is either a plus or a negative. Matte surfaced. Nothing fancy at all. But OTOH, well applied. And seemingly durable. Oh, and its TV Yellow!!!! :D :D :D

The other "hardware." There isn't much of it at all. Apart from the electronics -- great PUPS, so-so (but workable) pots, switch, jack and wiring -- there's only the bridge and supporting posts.

That bridge is simple by design. But its made of so-called "pot metal." -Called that in the past, but not actually that -- I.e., whatever amalgamation happened to come about when whatever throw-away metal parts were melted down together and then cast into a part.

No, the days of actual "pot metal" are past. On these a consistent alloy (made of who knows what?) is used. Albeit a not especially strong one (Tighten you high E or B string with it wrongly spaced and the groove it creates will be there forever), nor one that's especially beautiful.

But then again, they do the job and their very basic appearance and feel can be seen as part of the guitar's charm.

The vertical posts that hold the bridge, though, have been found by some owners to be a problem. Simply put they tend to yield to the constant tension of the strings and bend forward. Or so some have found. (My Junior is an older model -- and I use relatively heavy gauge strings on it [10-52] -- but it is still fine. So perhaps its just the luck of the draw, or perhaps the newer Specials have a weaker body construct.)

The scarf joint in the neck. Not really a problem -- in fact woodworkers say it makes the neck stronger than a neck without it -- but it's not, at least to me, very appealing to the eye.

Perhaps the biggest cost-focused change in the construction of the Epis in comparison to the far more costly Gibsons is the bolt-on neck. But as Fender guitar lovers have known for years there really is no loss with these. In fact, some would say, as I have come to, that the added adjustability such provides actually makes the bolt-on neck build a plus.

Traditional Gibson fanatics will not agree, but I say pfff to them! ;)

My Special and Junior sit on stands among a wide range of guitars -- including some higher-end Gibson models. Visually they hold their own in a very special, 'get-the-job-done', sort'a way. And they feel better in my hands -- better balanced -- than any of their upscale rivals. Yes (dare I say it here?), even better than my Teles.

In short these ARE great guitars. Cheap, but excellent.

-don

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  19. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    Thanks Don for the detailed info on the bridge and other areas. I'll handle it with care. Of course I more or less baby all my guitars, so the only abuse it will see is when I'm playing:>)

With my tuners already replaced I haven't got any inclination to change anything else at this moment. So I will just enjoy playing it and if anything appears to need replacing in the future, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Platefire

BTW-I like this guy's You Tube review of the Special l. Only thing he almost 100% focuses on distorted sound but his distorted sound is very good. Wish he had done a little more clean demo but what he did sounds great and his picking is no slouch. Would have liked to see his amp and pedals also.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Epiphone+Special+l+P-90&ru=/search?q=Epiphone%20Special%20l%20P-90&pc=cosp&ptag=C1A8B70A8B769&form=CONMHP&conlogo=CT3210127&view=detail&mid=BA78B48113B9D7BBA710BA78B48113B9D7BBA710&&mmscn=vwrc&FORM=VDRVRV