Anyone else lost the will to play?.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 5ofeight, May 18, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hang in there, Mike... At the VERY least, you've always got us SquierNuts, brother...

2. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    You said you like singing,, are you able to sing and play guitar at the same time?.. this is a difficult thing for most people..
    At least seems to me.. i would continue doing this if it gives you pleasure..
    dont worry about your voice,, i think youll find your voice if you stick with it.. finding a key to play in that matches your voice is probably more important (just a guess)..
    Also might look into learning a new style if any others interest you.. (slide,, finger picking,, country,, ukulele)..
    Or consider delving into theory.. might help spark an interest in why and how songs and scales are constructed..
    Or look into the history of guitar.. maybe some classical..
    Maybe build something.. guitar or amp kit..

BlueSquirrel and surfrodguitar like this.
  3. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I'm in this funk, too. I have some fantastic gear. I love guitar. It's not a "geez, it's just hard" thing. I just can't seem to find my way back to a steady lesson regiment.

squi guy likes this.
  4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Take a break. Sometimes that is all you need.

Davey and squierbilly like this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Well it looks like I have to take another break. I was gluing up a LP body I am building and I use plastic wrap spread out on my glue table to keep it clean. A sheet slipped out of my hands and my left index finger "fretting hand" some how ran across the metal cut off strip and sliced the crap out of it down to the bone. NO Guitar for a few days....:(

daan likes this.
  6. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Speaking for myself, I don’t think this has lasted for more than a day and a half. And certainly not when I started - I was determined to get to a level of moderate competence and why? So I could play with other people, which has others have said will keep your interest going without question.

7. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I quit guitar every time I go to an Outlaws concert.

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I think everyone has times like this. You go so far, then it seems you're not getting any better. Maybe change things up a little. Take the scenic route. If you normally play blues, try some metal, or jazz or even country. It'll give you a new challenge and another set of tools and get you away from the same same.
    I've just recently started to go a bit metal from blues. Ozzy, Metalica, Rainbow....
    It's fun too

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Take a break from playing all together. Relax ,get laid ,get some fresh country air . Contemplate life . Count your blessings :0)

Yes I'm serious :D:p:D

Bluzy, squierbilly and 5ofeight like this.
  10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I picked the guitar up last night and started to learn "let there be love" by Oasis, nice easy song with a steady strum pattern, I might record this a few times as a progress reference..
    As for building something, I've got a LP copy lying in the shed which could do with beinģ made playable..cheers man

11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Interesting to me how many see guitar (and possibly much, much more in life) as a step by step project sort of thing. I, perhaps apart from learning "Walk Don't Run" and "Apache" as a young teen back in the early 60s, never did.

It's not that I didn't set goals for myself and work toward them -- I did, both as an individual player and as a band member -- but it was more a matter of finding a flow than seeking something, or proving anything to myself or others.

If/when I played my guitar, wrote a song, discovered a new playing venue, or, music aside, say, developed a new imaging technique, such was always part of a groove --something found or discovered, not actively sought.

I do not know that I can "suggest" this approach. It is hard to even explain and seems distant from the way others even perceive their own lives and ambitions. But it is what got me where I am (wherever that actually is).

Fun and interesting, though, to read the comments. To see and again realize how I live in some sense in a very different mental world.

-don

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  12. papa920

papa920 Squier-Nut

Oct 9, 2011
    Illinois, USA
    I have a difficult time maintaining my daily interest in playing I love to play but , At 66 working ten hour days as a heavy truck mechanic/ Shop Mgr takes it toll . Some days I just want to sit in front of the TV . Lately My 19 year old grand son has become interested in playing a guitar . I bought him an acoustic guitar last summer , which he took to college with him . He is back for ths summer so we went shopping for an electric . I got him a nice electric an a Mustang I amp and he is really motivated . Working with him and seeing the joy in him like I experienced when young and learning . has given me a new desire to play and teach . If you can find a young person to teach or another person with interest to play with I thing you might experience the Joy any love of playing I have rediscovered . PS here are a couple pics of the electric I got my grand son . MattsGuitar5.jpg MattsGuitar9.jpg

wonkenstein, drewcp, daan and 4 others like this.
  13. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    put on some good backng tracks and play along. If you have an acoustic play some easy 3 chord songs and sing along. Something else is in your head making this decision for you. Stress of jobs and other things to think about seem to crowd out the "want" to play. Clear your head of the stress and use the guitar to deal with it.

wonkenstein and 5ofeight like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I don't suffer from this problem. My fingers stay torn up bad enough that there are notches into the quick on a couple of fingernails.
    I did not start till I was 55, so I don't have the years to become burnt out. I also have spine damage that means I am never going to strum anything. The arm/wrist don't do that anymore. That means i play with every note fretted.
    On top of that, I always heard the vocal before i started, so I play the vocal line or in response to the vocal line most of the time. I play almost nothing the way they play it, and I play very little the same way even verse to verse.
    When I am getting better and learning new things, it is always interesting.
    My suggestion would be for you to learn to sing with your guitar now, or to play nothing but backing tracks with no vocals for a time, or even go to something like a gospel tab site, and start to learn things that are deceptively simple for a month or so, then load a backing track and watch the changes express themselves.
    If I am learning, I am interested.

wonkenstein, squierbilly and daan like this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Great quote.
    Valuable self-realization.

:)

-don

16. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Don, in my case, I was never going to be able to do it anyway, at 55 with busted up mechanic/laborer hands and RA on top of it.
    I did it anyway, maybe because they told me I could not.
    I actually believed them, and a lap steel was my first new guitar, since there was no way my hands were going to learn to play.
    Two years in, just as i was starting to understand fingerpicking, the spinal injury took my right arm down to not even able to sign my name or use a mouse. They told me it was time to hang it up.
    Maybe again because I was told no, I refused to give up. I really don't like that word much. I rehabbed my hand and my arm on a guitar, and I am constantly challenged.
    For me, I am learning how to play things note for note these days, doing the whole thing completely backwards i guess.

17. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    It happened to me a couple of times too, indeed. A couple of years ago, after entering college I found myself hardly playing anymore. I wouldn't really pick up the guitar for a series of reasons:the always unsupportive family , the sense of lack of progress and the lack of as much spare time as I had back in the high school days made me begin to lose the will to play. Then, I did exactly what some folks are saying here and joined some guys to play with - the musical group of my college - and since then I've not only became more and more motivated to play, but since I had a reason and was challenged by other people to improve, my theory knowledge, capacity to stay in rhythm, to sing along, to improvise and adapt to other styles of music had a gigantic leap and continues to improve as time goes.

More recently, a combination of a quite harsh breakup with my longtime girlfriend and some trouble passing this year in college made me less motivated to do anything, let alone playing the guitar, to this present moment. Here I guess the trick is to remember why you love to play the guitar and the joy it brings to you, and one thing that has been making me quite excited to play is to try and learn some songs I really liked years ago but never thought I'd be able to play along - it's quite surprising how my skills have improved on a matter of just a few years and you may not realize that until you leave your comfort zone and try stuff you assumed long ago not being able to play. When you nail that cool riff you've always headbanged to, you just can't avoid but smile. :)

18. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Ah, the ebb and flow of motivation and creativity. Happens to me all the time.
    I actually rarely EVER make myself do anything I don't want to do, (other than commitments and chores) so I don't. I did not play much for almost a decade once. Mostly due to amp problems and little cash but I guess I could have if I really wanted to, so motivation.
    Then just like that! there I am again! playin and fiddling around all the time having a gas!.
    Like others have said, having people to jam with really makes things happen.

I find buying guitars ignites a spark, so does building them. Buying pedals, amps and such too.

19. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I “liked” your post. And by “like”, I mean, “OW OW OW OW JEEZ!” Get well and heal up soon, brother!

wonkenstein and strat_strummer like this.
  20. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Thank you sir.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice