Anyone else lost the will to play?.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 5ofeight, May 18, 2019.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Playing guitar has slowly but steadily gone down hill for me to the extent that I hardly ever pick one up to play and when i do pick one up I strum a few chords or play a half hearted solo and then put it away again, is this a common thing when learning how to play?.

2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Find some folks to jam with. When you are first starting out it is easy to plateau and get bored of the same ol same ol that you jam on by yourself. The real joy comes when you get a few people together and make music as a group. I still get hairs standing on my neck thinking about those moments when the music goes just right and everyone is jamming away.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Maybe some new songs (or a new guitar) will help. It's easy to get stuck in a rut, at least for me.

4. rolie

rolie Squier-Meister

Apr 12, 2019
    Southern California
    Agree with Bassman96, playing with others brings inspiration.

If you can't find anyone, a looper pedal is real fun too. You can record your guitar playing and layer more sounds together at the same time to bring ideas.

New songs also, When Im in a rut I try to play some bach classical pieces.

Get inspired also by watching music videos or better yet going to an actual show or go to music store, sometimes I can find cool people there.

wonkenstein, fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've done that, and while it was enjoyable as you say I still cant find the motivation to make that happen again..

wonkenstein and dbrian66 like this.
  6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    New songs might be the way to go, I used to like singing but an op last year has put something of an end to that. Im not going to buy another guitar, i have 6 or so of them not getting used at the moment..

wonkenstein and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    If that didn't fire you up to play more than I don't know what to tell you. Maybe hang it up for a bit. Maybe music isn't your thing or maybe you just need a break. You are either motivated or not. Only you can figure that out.

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a looper on my pedal board, I usually link my stuff up to my DAW so I can record anything that fires me up...there aint no sparks a sparking though..

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I think everybody goes through this, I know I did. I took a month long break and come back even stronger than ever.

five teles, Davey, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I agree. @5ofeight, listen to some Freddie King. Afterward, you'll want to play for hours.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Players with years of experience can face a sag in enthusiasm. Often that passes.

Newer player can too, but they also can experience the simple realization that guitar is not for them "it."

Some people never even look for "it" -- but prefer ever changing new experiences. Others try one thing after another as they search in hope of finding that magical "it."

Only you can know (and that with time and self examination) what is so for you.

Talent, BTW, is only part of it. Some really gifted players just don't find magic in the experience, and quit. Others with far less natural gift sometimes find enormous pleasure in their playing.

I guess my question would be: Have you given it enough time and effort to really know? And that, too, is something no one else can answer.

-don

12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I like a bit of Freddie..great shout man

13. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I’ll echo what’s here. Over the decades there have been years where I didn’t play much (because I was playing at some other thing like work, family, etc.), but also when I was in a period of more play, I also had times where interest diminished.

Firs for me the goal is awareness: know when it’s happening. Looks like you’ve got this. For me, I notice I’ll play the same songs every day, but not work on anything original or dive into something old but new to me.

I find sometimes I put my expectations too high on a specific goal, and if it doesn’t seem like I’m on my way to hitting it, I distract myself and do related things. So maybe I set aside three months to dive into a style or player, but soon realize I’m over my head, I might get let down unconsciously and loose inspiration.

I think taking a short break can be good. I think going too long might not be helpful. Like weightlifting, breaks are good, but it doesn’t take long before you lose you discipline.

One side note, probably not your problem, but if you’ve had a generally low mood lately, some people who get depressed experience “anhedonia” which is a loss of interest in one or more activities you used to like. It’s not pleasant, but the way to get through it is by continuing to do the things you used to like, even though you aren’t enthused now...if things aren’t too serious, the joy should come back after a couple weeks of pushing through it. Probably not your issue, but it may help someone.

Good luck!

wonkenstein, duceditor and daan like this.
  14. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    I've gone through this, so I understand the feeling. After the last band folded and it didn't seem possible to get another together, I gradually stopped playing. For a while, my music activities centered more around guitar forum participation than playing. When the forums deteriorated so badly after The Gear Page takeover, I pretty much stopped thinking about guitar at all. The odd time when I picked up a guitar, I'd half-heartedly play a few things I knew well, but as I realized how much my skills had slipped, I'd just give up.

I was doing some counselling with a professional and he helped me to see that my guitar interest slipping away was one symptom of bigger issues. With his encouragement, I began looking for things to rejuvenate my enthusiasm for music. One thing that's helped is finding a new challenge - In my case, learning to play in alternate tunings (mainly open-G tuning). Another big boost was acquiring new headphones that allows me to play at different times of day when the noise factor limited me. The final thing was choosing a specific time of day when I'd practice on a regular basis.....At least a half hour every day until I could feel my callouses returning so the strings weren't hurting my fingers, and until my skills started coming back. It's coming easier every day now.

15. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Listen to a new radio station/find some new music online.
    Pick up one of your guitars you haven't played in awhile.
    Maybe a new amp or Effect might jolt you a bit.
    Do the play with others some more.
    That gives you new music to learn, which will give you a reason to play as well. I find some times It helps me to have a "deadline" so as not to let down others that I am playing with.
    Maybe get some backing tracks that are out of your usual taste to spark some new playing by you?
    You just have to find something that motivates you.
    Or maybe just take a week or two break and come back to it refreshed.
    Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.
    Good Luck. :D

wonkenstein likes this.
  16. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Try different tunings. Drop D is fun. How about write a song, make it easy like punk style or whatever floats your boat. Start a band. Watch some music documentary to find inspiration. Listen to Jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonkenstein and Conghaille like this.
  17. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    This is a great idea, I think. Especially since you are struggling with this, maybe this is the topic for a song...make it really specific and full of details you experience, OR maybe make it general so it might apply to anyone losing inspiration or having doubts.

And then share the video of the song for us, of course :)

I like that a lot!

BlueSquirrel and surfrodguitar like this.
  18. Old Man

Old Man Squier-Nut

Jan 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Mine comes and goes with health issues, it is gone right now, health is going down hill and that demon depression is back. I don't even care if the grass gets cut, or anything for that matter.
    That is why I have not posted much lately. Can't sleep right because of pain and a whole lot of other stuff. Don't tell me to see a Dr., I do, there is no cure for my 3 serious ailments. So, I am just stumbling along right now.

Mike

SquierTap likes this.
  19. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm disabled and I deal with depression on and off. For me, sometimes all I can do when I get knocked down is keep getting up and continuing. Sometimes that's what we can do, and it's no small accomplishment.

Hang in there, friend.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    When I was gigging on a regular basis I had a guitar in my hands or within arms reach nearly all the time..Now I no longer have any others to play with, and no real reason to play, I seldom pick one up..
    That could all change if I were to find people that shared my musical interest...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice