Anyone else have other hobbies? Post them here.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jbrowning, Mar 30, 2019.

1. HDCornerCarver

HDCornerCarver Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lake George, NY
    Recently, I purchased a skateboard figuring maybe I'd pick it up again after about a 15 year hiatus. Only got a deck figuring I'd put the rest together over winter. Immediately after said purchase, I reminded myself that the only shoes I own are work boots, and that I have no health insurance if my not-so-invincible self ends up breaking an ankle. So, it may be a hobby at some point, but probably not the smartest purchase as of late.

Aside from tinkering and creating horrendous noise on the guitars, I work too much to hold other hobbies.

drneilmb likes this.
  2. Chordpounder20

Chordpounder20 Squier Talker

Nov 14, 2019
    California
    I play my non-Squier guitars for my hobby!

Richard

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Fun to catch up on this thread.

"Hobbies" to me was what one did with the little bit of free time and left over energy one found during much of life. Funny, though, how that can change when one is retired instead of endlessly tired. I.e., when one's days are just that: One's own.

My work in imaging for science and medicine -- not rarely 7 days a week and evenings as well as during normal working hours -- took away my love for the art of photography, something that had been part of me since I was 12. My "Image of the Day" project's initial purpose was to discipline myself to rediscover the sense of wonder and discovery that had led me to imaging. Only later did that project morph into what it is today some, maybe, six years and thousands of images later.

Entire First Page.jpg

In a small way the same had happened with film. -My initial field of study (The Film School, SVA, NY) and post grad work.

In that case it was the film industry that had turned me off, not the art itself. But along with film production (I'd done some interesting work early on) was a love of classic cinema, and that I have most definitely rekindled in retirement. Building on, and linking to, the history of my/our property (originally a summer theater) Jan and I have created the Bette Davis Theater and built up a collection of several thousand films -- mostly (but not entirely) "classics" from Hollywood's "Golden Era."

Home Theater WEB.jpg

Along with the classic films we are both classic sci-fi movie nuts so almost every week we celebrate "Sci-Fi Sunday" with often several classic sci fi films -- including some "B" movies that I particularly love. Silly but fun drive-in movies like "Teenagers from Outer Space" and "The Giant Gila Monster."

Yeah, crazy, but we love em!

And then there are days (such as today) that I spend largely in my library reading and playing guitar -- quite often old surf songs that I can play in my sleep.

Why is all of this so much fun? In part because the days are now (finally!) entirely mine/ours.

And if Jan is baking -- her "hobby" -- then all the better. Just the scent alone wafting through the house makes my day grand!

:)

-don

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I used to read/collect comics, but then through the 90’s/early 2000’s, Bruce Timm, and Warner Brothers pretty much animated the best storylines from my collection in the Batman/Superman/Justice League animated series...
    I stopped buying comics around 2005... about the same time I started playing guitar/bass again in earnest.

I tinker for small projects in the house, I used to do everything, but I finally reached the point in my life, that my time is more valuable to me than the cost of paying someone else to to it... I contracted out the last few home projects I had (roof repair, painting, and building a closet).

duceditor likes this.
  5. AndOR

AndOR Squier Talker

Nov 27, 2019
    Clownworld
    I stream-snipe news from various sites and mirror them on youtube for a small profit.

6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Stream-snipe." That's a new one to me! Could you explain?

-don

HDCornerCarver and AndOR like this.
  7. AndOR

AndOR Squier Talker

Nov 27, 2019
    Clownworld
    I take live broadcasts, and re-broadcast them in real-time. It's like an online superbowl party.

duceditor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice