Anybody use UPS Follow My Delivery?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ralph124C41, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Howdy

I have that Squier VM Jag coming today but we had yet another snow storm last night and I have a dental appointment I will have to leave for by about 11:30 a.m. I am a member of the free UPS My Choice and the estimate ... and estimate only ... is for it to arrive between 9:30 a.m. (nope) and 1:30 p.m.

However when I went to my My Choice I found a new (at least to me) feature called Follow My Delivery which is a map showing the approximate location of the UPS delivery truck and my home. Supposedly it is self updating every two or three minutes. And there is sliding scale "On the Road" .."In Your Area" and "Almost There." Of course there are the usual notes about how this is purely an estimate but it is sort of interesting.

It sort of reminds me of all those newspaper graphics that show Santa Claus flight path to your home ... but in my case it is somewhat of present.

As I type this the truck has moved and it is now less than two miles from my home but it still s hows the "On the Road" listing.

I will update this until I have to leave.

Rat cam 68, Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have tried to use this. It has not yet worked.

JoeInMichigan and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Humm I checked again and now the driver had gone away from me by about a mile. And now it's even farther away. I have no idea what the route actually is so I wonder how good this is. I mean at the earlier posting the truck was probably five minutes away and now .... who knows?

Still it's an interesting concept.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Update ... and now the truck is heading away from me. Oh, I found out why I haven't had this feature although I do use My UPS. It's not offered on the basic UPS Ground or whatever which is the free service I have been using with almost all of my UPS items. This guitar is coming Second Day Air which qualifies for the service which is both available through computer and as a phone app.

UPS truck, please come back to me. All is forgiven ...

drewcp, Kaffeine_oo7 and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Update, part two. I went out to take some of the snow off my car and the UPS truck came so I have the guitar. I'm letting the box warm up and I may just let it stay there until I get back later today. So for me the Follow my Delivery worked very well.

drewcp and Caddy like this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I've used it several times when they email me a link to it. It has worked fine, but the route the truck takes isn't usually what I expect it to be. They do plan the routes to avoid left turns, so that probably mixes things up a little.

7. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
  8. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Living in the country, we had a USPS driver that seemed to put the mail in our box when they got ready, so after repeated calls to the closest post office the lady there told me they have a service called informed mail. Signed up for it and now I get e- mail alerts and pictures of every letter or package that is to be delivered that day. Don't know how or why mail wasn't being delivered before, but now it is right on time everyday.

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes I chatted with the driver, very friendly guy. He said he had one stop that he had to go out of his way to make and then he got back "on track" for my delivery.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Tried it a couple of times and it drove me nuts.

It may just be the route the driver has to take in my rural area, but he'd be within a quarter mile of my home -- sure to be here soon! -- then off on a tangent. Over and over again. Or it'd appear as if he were just parked in one place for over an hour.

In an more built up area this may be a boon. Here it's a boondoggle.

-don

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well I live in somewhat of a rural area although I'm right off a state road (nine miles to nearest grocery store). For me it worked out OK but I can see it becoming somewhat of a tease ... and I was starting to feel that way when I saw the truck coming closer ... and closer ... and then going farther away ... and farther still.

duceditor likes this.
  12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Using this feature today. Been in "the almost there" mode for two hours.
    Not so good!

13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Glad to hear of a successful delivery. I had a Squier Standard dropped off at my house this morning. No one was home. Sat outside since 10:40am. Thank goodness the porch pirates didn't take it.

Same ... I'll let it warm up for a day. I'll open it tomorrow. :)

14. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Haven't used the UPS one, but have used similar Amazon delivery feature. Kinda neat, but you definitely don't know their route and unless they are super close they could easily go off in another direction before stopping w your delivery.

15. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    "Almost there" mode for 3 1/2 hours.
    Tick tock.......

16. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    For some reason Monday through Friday ups driver always here at around 420 .

17. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    We got the USPS "informed delivery" our delivery was way messed up,wrong address,days late,etc. Since the informed delivery 2 years ago,not a single issue besides a vacation hold that was probably my own fault procrastinating doing it in timely fashion. Wife gets email every morning with every piece of named mail.

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  18. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    My experience today was abysmal. The estimated delivery time was between 12:15 to 3:15
    with the package finally arriving at 5:30.

But the "Follow my delivery" feature is a joke. Watching the truck ping pong around town, getting oh so close, and then turning around and going away multiple times is a real stress inducer for sure.

Maybe there is a method to their madness, but the bugs need to be worked out because when it says almost there for 4 + hours something is amiss.

Reminded me of being a kid in the back seat on a road trip. "Are we there yet"???:)
    Simply put, they could do much better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice