Any one know about vintage silver tone guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by whaynes3, Oct 6, 2018.

1. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    Picked this up today,

Attached Files:

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I had a 1965 silvertone electric I picked up at a garage sale for $5 ... brought it in to see what it was worth, and I walked out w a brand new $400 guitar (EPI LP). Still don't regret that trade :)

It is surely worth finding out the true value of this one - don't know the vintage or if the acoustics command similar high prices or not.

whaynes3 likes this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

For the period 1960 to 1970 they were decent for what they were. But the overall quality and playability just don't meet today's standards. But, there are collectors out there that hold them in some regard, so see what they have to say.

4. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Like seemingly EVERYTHING these days, I'd be willing to bet there are Silvertone forums somewhere out there on the interwebs. There are definitely folks out there who know and pursue them, so good chance they get together online to discuss stuff the way we do here. Good luck with your search!

Dr Improbable and whaynes3 like this.
  5. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    whaynes3 likes this.
  6. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    My old guitar friend in N.C. (actually he's now my cousin-in-law) had one of the ST single pup Danelectros with the amp built into the case. I'd love to have that now!

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD! As others stated, she may not be valuable to most but cool factor is off the chart. I've got a Silvertone wall hanger (neck joint is very loose).

Attached Files:

8. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    did find some info about this Silvertone . based on what info I could gather it was made by Kay for Sears /Roebuck between 52/57 sold for 59.95,, its a Blonde Jazz arch top, I see them asking from $850.00 too 1100.00. this one is really in extremely very good condition,, only given is that the original Kluson Deluxe tuning keys is that 4 of them have broken off at some point in its life... the guitar has been cared for... I am certain that if I replace the inline tuners the guitar will be worthless.. and if I take it to dealers they will want to get it for next to nothing, any advice?

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Stewmac has replacement buttons for those tuners..You probably don't need to replace the tuners..
    If it were mine, I'd replace the buttons and put it on the market..

RetiredNSquired and whaynes3 like this.
  10. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Looks like you have a nice one. Harmony made the guitars and DanElectro made the amps for Sears & Robuck. I have a red flat top acoustic, paid $15, replaced the missing trapeze bridge and tuners with original Harmony parts. Seen same for $300 plus on GC & ebay.

whaynes3 likes this.
  11. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Yes, AFAIK, the Silvertone guitars have been made by Kay, Harmony and Danelectro, and possibly others...

A+!

12. twisted fingers

twisted fingers Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    That's a very clean guitar. People say about the quality being cheap it's lasted this long and built in the USA all solid wood. The name changes are more to do with where they were sold. They tend to have a pressed top and not carved. Too some people it's a cheap guitar to others they love the old Harmony, Kay & Silvertone guitars there's a market for them. The date and model # can sometimes be seen through the F hole if it hasn't faded. You my find some info on Harmony Central clean ones seem to be priced upper 300 to 500 hundred and sometimes more. There has been some famous guitar players in the past that has used the old F hole guitars from Harmony ,Kay & Silvertone.

whaynes3 likes this.
  13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    whaynes3 likes this.
  14. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Very cool guitar :cool:

whaynes3 likes this.