Any experience with Solarez?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Las Palmas Norte, Nov 10, 2019.

1. I have a few dings in the finish on a guitar I'm working on.
    I've watched a couple of videos using a polyester resin with UV cure.
    The product used is called Solarez. I'd imagine there are others and different processes incorporated with each one.
    So, in short, I'm just trying to fill and level this ding in the finish. Any input is welcome.

DSC07839.JPG

Cheers, Barrie.

so1om and mb doug like this.
  2. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Never used it on guitars but on my surfboard....yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mb doug and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I think it will work good but when you fill it, I don’t think you will want to sand it after cause it will take the shine off. Unless you have plans for that? So if your plans is to just use the solarez, fill it to the top and you can use a bit of plastic wrap or a rigid piece of clear plastic and lay it down over the area to flatten the solarez. After it’s cured, it will be smooth and shiny. Also, the solarez has bits of fiberglass, you might not want those bits in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Las Palmas Norte and mb doug like this.
  4. I'm wondering if I could use a wood filler and match the color. Mask and shoot a clear poly coat. Fine wet sand and buff …?
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
  6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I've used SunCure resin for surfboard repairs. I believe it's the same as Solarez. No mixing, do a repair, turn on a UV light or place in the sunlight, cures in minutes. Ready to sand in about 30 minutes. Another epoxy that is bulletproof is Gorilla Glue 2 part epoxy. Double barrel tubes, snip, plunge, dries in 5 minutes.

If you're going for a natural wood repair, you could fill the hole up to a 1/16" w/ epoxy and top off with a woof filler. To match the color, take some saw dust from the same or like wood, mix with wood glue and make a thick paste. Top fill and sand.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    JoeInMichigan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice