Another Super Buy -- on a Red Truck

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jan 1, 2020.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Better to be aware, then to be scammed.

Will this fall into that category? Time will tell.

But in its favor...

The site is https -- i.e, secure.

The PayPal info was sent not to this site, but as is usual, directly to PayPal and the information shown there was genuine. PayPal responded and the order, along with the normal PayPal assurances are found upon my direct access to my Paypal account.

The site responded quickly with the standard 'thank you' saying that I will receive another email shortly when the order has been shipped, along with a tracking number.

My email to their 'any questions' email address went thru without a problem.

So.... hoping. :)

-don

jefffam, Shaytan and dbrian66 like this.
  2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    Getting paypal involved seems a good thing--but do be aware of how they can still scam you.

They send 'shipping details' but they are incorrect, or the product is very slowly making its way to you...or delay a bit , or...once the 30 day window to dispute the transaction has gone by, I think you have fewer options of recourse. A similar time-wasting until 30 days are scam used to be perpetrated on Amazon form Chinese sellers.

Not sure if paypal still has a 30-day window, but make sure you file a claim before whatever the window is closes.

But I hope it's real! I found it real tempting, but after holiday spending my wallet is sewn shut!

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    No. The PayPal site says that I have until June 29th to file a claim.

If I do not get a 'live' and trackable tracking number within a week I will cancel the order.

I did, although I had not actual reason to suspect a scam, change my PayPal password just as added insurance. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Thanks, all, for you thoughts, concerns and advice.

-don

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Moorer, KMise, Donner, and similar companies, whether related to each other or just copying methods, do use some strange (to us) sales tactics.

It was not too long ago, KMise had a Tremolo pedal for $13.00? or maybe $15.00 I forget which.

Through yesterday I have been looking at the Moorer Blues Crab for a blues style overdrive. List is $59.99. I'd say average advertised selling price varies from $35-$45. With Reverb coming in at $64. Yesterday Walmart had it at $29.xx but I did not pull the trigger. Today it is $39.xx :(:oops:

dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  5. backporchmusic

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    Oh, good. If this mid-May or something, I would have taken a flyer on it too. Still might...

But money is sooo tight right now..

jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  6. backporchmusic

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    Hmmm...decided to give it a go, Paypal backing and all.

But when I went to check out, it was denied--could just be a glitch, but I got the following screen

upload_2020-1-2_12-6-45.png

jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  7. backporchmusic

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    But then I went to paypal, and the payment has been subtracted...let me look into this deeper...

EDIT--may just be a glitch--I got email from both paypal and the 'Flash Sales' website acknowledging my order so...

jefffam, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Do, please, post updates.

I will do the same.

:)

-don

mb doug, dbrian66 and backporchmusic like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The Red Truck has said to have been shipped. I just got the tracking number. Chinese post to USPS.

I do not any longer see an active website, so things could be screwy. I'll track it and see if there is motion.

The company I ordered from -- who ran the website -- in in Canada. But the Paypal and shipment info is in China. (specifics given -- the same Province as my gear from Donner ships from)

The are four tracking stages thus far -- all written in Chinese. Google translate show it as stages from "order" to now "in transit" with an airplane symbol.

So far so good, but until it reaches the US and enters the USPS system it remains (literally) "up in the air." ;)

-don

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    jefffam, backporchmusic and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Another possibility is that someone took some number of these things out the back door of the manufacturing plant in China, and sold them quickly. It wouldn't be the first time.

jefffam, dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Not even necessarily the back door.

Numerous Chinese companies make accessories such a battery pack/motor drives for Canon cameras that are officially sold as "Canon". One can at any time get the same item without Canon's logo for about a third the price on Amazon, sold by small Amazon affiliate companies. Such are so common that there seems little likelihood that is 'back door.'

One must remember that unlike in the Western world where companies are privately owned and in competition with one another, the Chinese system is all under government control and in effect "ownership." Patent rights there have no meaning. Companies make and sell what basically they are told to make and sell -- often the same products with little or no "brand" change.

Here's an example from my own pedal collection. I wanted all four of Joyo's "Sound" series pedals. I found that by purchasing one with the Ammoon label, sold from a never heard of Amazon affiliate, I could save about 25% -- this despite Joyo's own incredibly low pricing.

2020-01-03_09-02-16_975.jpeg

Even the Donner Digital Piano my wife Jan just tested for a joint review -- a true bargain at $600 with the Donner name on it -- can be had with few differences (more "features" in fact) for more than a clam less from a different seller.

It's a crazy world out there. And that is what old-school US brands are competing against.

-don

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    jefffam, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  12. Mfranzdorf

Mfranzdorf Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    NW Ohio
    Looks like a cool pedal(s). Hope it works out for you! If so, you got a great deal there.

jefffam, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The tracking is moving ahead. As of this afternoon:

2020-01-03 15:53
    Nanjing City, Nanjing International Mail has been exported directly sealed

2020-01-03 15:34
    Nanjing, Nanjing Exchange Bureau has been exported directly sealed

2020-01-03 09:59
    Nanjing, leaving the International Bulk Collection Center, the next stop , Nanjing International

2020-01-02 10:35
    Nanjing City, "International Bulk Collection Center" has received, agent: Yang Feng

2019-12-30 14:43
    Logistics order created

Me thinks this is gonna work out. Hoping so.

(You guys got me wicked worried!) ;)

:D

-don

dbrian66, mb doug, Treynor and 4 others like this.
  14. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    My bet is your lifetime of good karma will pay dividends, and you shall receive exactly what you ordered. On the other hand..... Just kidding :)

15. backporchmusic

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I got my tracking email from a company called 17 Track. Hasn't really moved yet, but hopefully soon.

dbrian66, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    17 Track is common from many Chinese vendors. It will give you movement information until the package reaches the U.S. Then seldom any valid tracking.

17. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Before I'd received the tracking number I'd tried to contact the company -- this t see if they were still active since the offer's own website no longer seemed to be. I did this in two ways -- directly thru the email address they'd provided with my order acceptance notification, and(for safety's sake, thru PayPal to get any future needed documentation in place.

Both emails were answered with a note asking for patience and the tracking number -- the same as I'd later received independently.

That tracking continues to show travel. The package is now in international mail.

Oh, and this morning I found this...

Cool!

-don

dbrian66, mb doug and Mr Bones like this.
  18. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Very nice demo, definitely a very cool an versatile multi FX unit...

Lookin forward to yer review, an demo(s) of Red Truck, once it gits there, Don...

dbrian66, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  19. backporchmusic

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I like that it can simply be used as an amp with a headphone out. With its little carrying case, it would also make a good hotel/travel rig option, as far as I can tell.

20. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice