Amp and Garage Band

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by BostonU2, Aug 10, 2019.

1. BostonU2

BostonU2 Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Vox MV50. I love the way it sounds but when I hook it up to garage band it just doesn't sound the same. I know you can do a line in option and it's sort of like its running thru a compressor, but it just doesn't sound the same? Does anyone know the best way to get the pure sound (that I get when headphones are plugged in) form the MV50 onto garageband without anything extra? I appreciate the help.

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It’s never going to sound the same. Your best bet is to look for a process that sounds good, but not the same.

When you hook it up to garage band, what’s your process? What interface/cables/etc?

3. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

If it's the headphone output of the amp you like, why not just run that into your DAW?

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    How are you sending the signal to GB from the amp??

If you use the headphones out jack, it should sound the same as it does on your headphones - same if you are using a “line out” from the amp to GB ... but by any chance are you connected to an effects looop send?? That would certainly sound different, as it’s a dry signal

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Just had a look at the specs on that mv50 — it has two outputs 1- line/headphone and 2- speaker. You should NOT be using the speaker out to GB, use the line/headphone out

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  6. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-holic

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Hahaha. What a dummy. I popped in here thinking you where going to have a vid or something of a new amp in your garage with a "real" garage band.

BostonU2 likes this.
  7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Nothing to do with your problem, but which model did you get ?. I have the Boutique and it is a real nice versatile and sounding amp.

8. BostonU2

BostonU2 Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Thank you everyone for replying. I have the MV50 AC model. In running from the headphone jack (because it's suppose to do a speaker simulation) into my focusrite scarelet 2i2 2nd generation. The 2i2 connects to my iMac via USB. I'm only ever recorded with a garageband amp. You can turn the amp off and then use pedals or use the line in option which sort of works like a compressor I guess. Like I said, both ways alter the sound. The best way I can describe it is it really take away that tube sound and makes it sound much more 2 dimentinal and digital. I love this amp with headphones on and would love to get that sound recorded.

9. BostonU2

BostonU2 Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2019
    Massachusetts
    F49EC753-56EE-4341-838E-D71BCAD75D1E.jpeg For anyone else that may come across this in the years to come, I figured out the issue. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs; one for guitar and the other for microphone. When I first got this, I always plugged it into input 2. Just recently I wondered why I do that, so I started using input 1. I recently looked at the box and realized my mistake. See the attached photo.

duzie likes this.
  10. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    I’ve plugged my guitar into the headphone jack a few times and started diagnosing a non existent issue:rolleyes:

drewcp likes this.
  11. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Bassman96 and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice