"American Performer"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by IronSchef, Dec 3, 2018.

1. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I went to GC Monday night before a concert, and they had a Lake Placid Blue Jazzmaster American Performer. I'm a sucker for LPB. The satin LPB was gorgeous and felt perfect. Guitar was nice enough. Pickups were a little disappointing a Dlx Reverb RI - very trebly and shrill. And I really missed the JM vibrato - I guess I'm a traditionalist, but I also think that JM/Jag vibrato is the best one I've played. I kind of liked the jumbo frets - I don't have a guitar with them and found it really easy to get along with.

Last night I had some time with my VM JM and realized I didn't need the Performer.

2. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I think it's a lot of guitar for the price myself. I haven't heard the pups in person yet so the verdict is out on those. I like the push pull option for the neck pup. I really like that "Penny" color. If I were to change anything I'd go with a 2 point trem. I'd give em a serious look though. For considerably less the new MIM Strats are peeking my interest at the moment!

dbrian66 and Taurus like this.
  3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I saw the Andertons video on these last night, very attractive looking guitars, I think the HSS Strat and the HS Tele were my fave, the HS Tele mostly

But the price is just ridiculous for me. Can’t justify spending that much money on one guitar. Imagene, you could get 3 or 4 amazing Squiers for that price. I’d rather buy a Jag, whether VM or MIM and a CVC Tele and maybe a Bullet Mustang too if I could afford all that.

4. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I resisted the urge to buy one of those Classic LPB Jags with Black Friday discounts a couple of weeks ago. LPB and nitro finish...for three times the price I paid for my white Squier Jag...no deal. Not in my genetics, somehow.

Taurus likes this.
  5. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I need to take a Dramamine after reading this.

VealCutlet and Taurus like this.
  6. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I've said it before but I'll say it again. When I really consider what I have I have enough and they're all somewhat unique. Of the lot, the Bigsby Cabronita is the real standout as far as original Squire models; nothing like it in the current lineup of Squier or Fender as far as I know.

The Taco Bell analogy really makes sense at this point it seems. I just don't see anything that stands out today. I remember the standouts that first attracted me to Squier/Fender were the Jag and JM. The Squier versions were, at the time, the only original spec options for less than 2K. Then, the Squier Bigsby Cabronita sucked me in. After that, the Squier '51.

I didn't think I'd ever want a Stratocaster until I saw the amazing Lilac 50s Fender ("Classic Whatever" series) on closeout; just the other day the afternoon light caught it and there was yet another iteration of hue. Then, of course came the notorious "Hot Rails incident", as I like to call it, wherein I ended up with a Squier Deluxe Straotocaster and a "Hot Rails" PG for swapping (Guitarmageddon was quite right in his assessment and suggestions so I ended up keeping, not selling, the original loaded PG).

Then, finally, (no, really this time) Sam Ash forced me to buy a Bullet Mustang by selling it to me for $119.00.

I can't think of anything in the current Squier/Fender lineup, or anything they could come up with in the future, very appealing; nothing fills any kind of sonic gap for me. Unless they come up with a Nacho Crunch Grilled Stuft Burrito, I'm done.

VealCutlet and Taurus like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Looking at the specs for the Strat pickups at SW, I see that the neck is 7.8k, the middle is 8.5k, and the bridge is 8.9k, which is awful high to get that sparkly, glassy vintage Strat tone. CS69s and 57/62s are under 6k, and even Texas Specials are under 7k. So, I imagine these probably sound more like the hot ceramics that were on the Mexican Standard or the DD ones on the VM Squier Strats.

8. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    I saw a Squier VM Jaguar for about £270 new in the black friday deals... I was sooo tempted. But would rather save the money for now and I’ll buy it again sometime. But its crazy how much cheaper stuff go in black friday.

I also tried out one of these Classic Player 60’s Strats when buying my MIM Strat. I didn’t like the CP 60’s. I was close to buying a Squier Deluxe Strat and I prefered the Squier Deluxe than the CP 60’s Strat. The most expensive one I tried, just found nothing special about it. The Squier was just better to me in every way.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    They sounded pretty Stratty in the Anderton's video I saw. I was very impressed with the clarity.

Taurus likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    and we have to wedge things like the Pawn Shop series in there...

Taurus likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

I've got a 1964 Fender catalog that provides endless hours of memories.
    There are no maple boards to be found, and they only offer one Strat and one Tele, with the Jaguar being the top dog of the day. And nothing over $400.
    The decisions were much easier back then.

so1om and Taurus like this.
  12. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Not to hi jack the thread but yeah, I really like the Squier Deluxe. The necks on those are phenomenal!

Taurus likes this.
  13. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    I loved that little guitar, beautiful colour too in daphne blue with the maple fretboard. Was so close to buying it, but then when tried a MIM Strat, absolute perfection. Just had everything, tone, neck felt perfect. Just everything.

But if I was ever after another strat, a backup start, I’d defo go for that Squier Deluxe. I was amazed by it

14. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    I wish those prices still were today

so1om likes this.
  15. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Nut

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Interesting reading about the greasebucket - it was something I was not aware of. Has Fender been providing bridge tone control for long?

16. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Nut

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Agreed - or a dream partscaster or two. For those who mod, buying new US is a really tough thing when you know what goes into them.

Taurus likes this.
  17. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Why isn’t there a model called the “Dreamcaster” ? ‍♀️

Taurus and so1om like this.