Am I mad?!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tellie, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Tellie

Tellie Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2013
    England
    Hi all,

I’ve been away for a while, moving house and doing other bits. The guitar-related spin on this is: I got my Les Paul Traditional (Standard spec’ in light burst) out of it’s case for the first time in 18 months yesterday. And... I don’t like it anymore.

It feels unwieldy, stiff and buzzy. It has a pro set-up, but I figured maybe the truss had moved a tad over time. I gave it the once over, but I still don’t like it. In comparison, my Mexican Strat feels so smooth, clean and comfortable.

The GAS here is, I’ve been offered a straight swap: the LP for a new Mexican Vintera 50’s Tele (which I want). There is a price differential, no doubt, but should I cut my losses, avoid faff and take the Tele?

What do you reckon? Madness? Or a viable way to deal with falling out of love with this LP?

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

For me it would totally depend on how much the effort to sell the Gibson to get more is worth. If that's worth the differential, then make yourself happy. A couple of other ideas would be to see if you can get a bit more than a straight swap. Some added cash? An amp or pedal? An extra high E string? You didn't mention who the trading partner was but did you see what the local guitar shop might trade you for it?

3. Tellie

Tellie Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2013
    England
    Cheers Tim. It is a local store, so the typical formula is that they offer 1/3 of the retail value. I could probably get 300-ish more on fleabay, but the ‘collection only’ I need to stipulate usually results in a long and faffy sale. If the Tele were a USA I’d be sold, but swapping a USA Gibson for a Mex Fender feels counter intuitive...

4. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I'm not sure if you have things like FB Marketplace or OfferUp across the pond, but I find those much easier for selling/buying gear. You might find that extra 300 in your pocket rather quickly and be glad you did.

dbrian66 and Tellie like this.
  5. Mfranzdorf

Mfranzdorf Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    NW Ohio
    I’ve done plenty of things that don’t seem to “ make sense” financially. I don’t go into a situation trying to lose money, but it happens sometimes. Do what makes you happy! If you don’t like playing the Les Paul, send it down the road and get what you want. Easy as that.

Big tuna and dbrian66 like this.
  6. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    It sounds like you're about to lose money for the pleasure of making a Mexican made Tele owner ecstatic, in my opinion.

Sell that Gibson separately.

My $.02.

Big tuna, Tellie, Robb and 3 others like this.
  7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    If.....you have lost your love for a one time sweetheart, give it a little time before deciding.
    If.....money were not an issue I'd buy the Tele because you are GASing for it.
    If.....there is no boot $ coming your way in addition to the less valuable Tele I would not trade.
    If.....you cannot work out a fair trade keep in mind the Tele will be available when you are ready. List your LP locally for a better than fair price. Sell it quickly, get your Tele, and put the remainder toward future GAS, a nice dinner, or into your savings account.
    If.....you want my two cents, minus inflation, worth.

Tellie, Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I would not make that trade. Sounds to me like you want the Tele and the Les Paul is the quickest and easiest way to get it. That desire will influence how you feel about the Les Paul. If I were in your shoes, I would find a way to get the Tele and keep the Les Paul as well. After having both for awhile, see if your feelings for the Les Paul have changed. If not, sell it locally and get the true value you deserve.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Tellie, Jim Belaye and DrBeGood like this.
  9. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I would not do it either. In fact I would say put it away for awhile and see if you like it again later. You liked it once :)

BatUtilityBelt, Tellie and dbrian66 like this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Great advice !

Tellie and dbrian66 like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That's my way of thinking too.

fadetoz and dbrian66 like this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Not everything is about money, make yourself happy and go get the Tele.

mrriggs, Tellie and dbrian66 like this.
  13. Tellie

Tellie Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2013
    England
    Great advice all round. Thanks guys. I’m going to play it safe, and still feed the GAS. So, I’m going to keep the LP (and see if the spark returns over time) and buy a CV Tele in the meantime!

I’ve had a 50s CV in the past (foolishly traded, but that’s another story...) so know the score there.

One question, though, is there a difference between early and current CV’s? Some say yes? What’s the deal with that? I wasn’t aware production had changed?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Big tuna and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Tellie

Tellie Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2013
    England
    Just an update for anyone interested, I still have the LP, and scored a Squier Standard Tele for a great price. Well pleased.

Big tuna, duggerh, DrBeGood and 3 others like this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    C
    Cool. I think you'll find in time, that is the best course. If you still truly dislike the LP, sell it. LP's generally hold their used value pretty well. Sell now, sell much later, it's probably little price difference.

HNGD for the new Tele.

duggerh and radiotech like this.
  16. seua

seua Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    well... I would keep the LP, if you use to love it, and had fine pleasure to play with, it will come back, might be just time passed...
    patience is always well rewarded ;)
    and keep this Tele for a later purchase...
    just my 2cts ;)

jefffam likes this.
  17. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Good move keeping the lp i have a traditional as well and fall in and out of love with it as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice