Always Roll the Dice !

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Kenneth Mountain, Feb 9, 2019.

1. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Nice score! I agree, “you never know unless you go!”

Good thing about music, when it hits you ya feel no pain.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Congratulations. Great amp for a great guy. Enjoy!

3. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    those deals dont turn up very often but you have to go for it and wish for the best. In your case SCORE!!!! I missed out by 5 minutes a couple of years ago on a 1964 sears silvertone 1648 that I use to have when I first started. the guy wanted $250 for it and now they sell for $800 to $1000. they make a reissue of it but it is not the same without those de armond pickups.

4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Awesome deal. Allot of amp for $40

5. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
  6. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Now that's the way it's done Ken!! Nice deal!! Great amp- enjoy!!

7. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    Ken, not sure where you’re at right now with your SCXD but I have the same amp and after a few mods it sounds fantastic (for a small grab and go amp). The first mod was replacing the stock speaker with a Ted Weber...huge improvement! Next was a set of new matched tubes which was another improvement. Last mod, having the amp re-biased. The SCXD is a good amp stock but with some minor mods can really be a great 15 watt amp. Really like the clean channel and rarely use the modeling channels. Good luck and have fun with your SCXD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Wish I had a SCXD - I have a VCXD 5 watt 6V6 12AX7 - I agree - the scxd's are nice ! probably stock ?

Tele56 likes this.
  9. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    Sorry Ken....must’ve got my XD’s mixed up with my VC’s....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I've got the SCXD and there are a lot of similarities with the VCXD. Everything tele56 did to his SCXD I did to mine and the results were really substantial! The stock tubes were junk on mine and the stock speaker, well I didn't care for it. The bias set from the factory was set "cold" and it really held back the amp. It's probably gonna pay off for you to try some of these changes on your VCXD. If you got a separate cab, that would be awesome! If ya don't bond with it, I was on ebay and saw 3 of them going from around $109 up to GULP $339!!! You could flip it easy, I'm sure. Good luck Ken, great find!

Tele56 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Nice find and you're right about rolling the dice - it's an adventure either way. Heck of a good amp too !

12. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I lucked out on a Epi Valve Jr head'n'cab...a music store was selling it on eBay, new w/warranty, for like $100...at the time, I had a v1 VJr combo, and had been researching them...seems a common problem with the newest/last VJrs, v3s, was "tarnish" or something to that effect, on an inline fuse ... rolled them there dice, and that's what the problem was, cured in a few minutes with a tiny piece of green kitchen scrubbing pad. Not long after that, I decided to pick up a Tweaker head...so I put the new VJR chassis in the v1 combo (the v1 VJrs had some noise problems), can still use it with the 1x12 cab, usually using the Tweaker through said cab...I'll use the VJr when I feel like running in stereo through the multi-fx or am just too lazy to lug the Tweaker and cab around. Yeah, the VJr is definitely a one trick pony, but it does that trick well enough for me. The fuse problem was fairly well known, am surprised the store just dumped it for that price. I feel I made out, in the end...

13. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Great score, Ken! Happy to hear of this bit of good fortune landing your way!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice