Always Roll the Dice !

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Kenneth Mountain, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I called a CL ad for a small amp for 20.00 - Champ or Frontman ? A gentleman answers and tells me he sold it already BUT he has another one that he doesn't know if it works or not ? I ask him what is it - Super Champ XD. I don't have a way of testing it - he tells me . I said no problem I can bring a guitar and cable and see if it works. It was his Dad's and he passed. I went over and set it up and it came on but would not put out any sound - both tubes lit up ? Bummer ! I said well it's more than big enough for a 10" cab - I will "roll the Dice"
    I asked him what he was thinking - he's says 50 I counter with 40 Done Deal !

I had to sit on this for over a month - My buddy Rich was in Indiana for the birth of his first Grandchild. Finally he got home and I brought over to him for a look. Turns out the 12AX7 was shorted out - nothing else was wrong - he had a brand new one he didn't need and it fired right up !

I have 4 cabs where this didn't always work - but I have been blessed more than a few times !

I'm liking this amp except for the speaker - I think I'm going to try a celestion TF0818 ( PA speaker )
    Quilter uses them in their small combos.

When this situation presents itself - I say Roll the Dice !

DSC02087.JPG

DSC02088.JPG

DSC02091.JPG

tf0818.jpg

Enjoy ! !

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Too late for me to roll the dice.

Back in 1997-98 I had an opportunity invest in Amazon. It was a hot stock and everyone was talking about it. I had about $10K that I was thinking of investing ... but after thinking about it, I decided the stock was too expensive and felt it wasn't a good investment.

Fast forward today ... if I had invested that $10k in Amazon in 1997, I'd have $17 mil right now.

Talk about bummer. :(

3. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    ouch !

Dr Improbable and Eddie like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    So while selling my Gibson Les Paul Custom was the biggest regret of my life ... investing that money would have changed the course of my life. Then again, who knows what would have happened ... I wouldn't have become a teacher, I may have picked up a bunch of gold diggers along the way, maybe a bunch of people filing lawsuits against me. ha ha.

But $17 mil sounds sweet right now. I wouldn't be buying Harley Bentons and Squiers on SGW. ha ha.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    But think of all the Squier fun you would have missed out on.

6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    True. I appreciate my life and what I have now. I enjoy my family, and appreciate undervalued instruments like Squier and HB's.

Ken, sorry to hijack your thread. Nice amp. Good score. :)

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Nice deal! I think I paid 70 for the one I used to have. Needed a new power tube, and it was good to go. Later traded it for a Sugar Drive, AND another pedal. I liked the VCXD almost as much as my SCXD. Now I have neither.

I think you can route out the baffle and fit a 10” in there. They aren’t much smaller than the super champ version. The 10 in my SCXD sounded way better than the 8” but for an amp with a digital front end, they are still pretty sweet.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I enjoyed your story more than my own ? lol

9. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I want to try the amp with the huge 8" so I don't have to modify - I'm interested in the how my Mono 5 sounds with the big 8" also ?

CVSteve, Eddie and drewcp like this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Put this one in it instead: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Warehouse-Guitar-Speakers/G8C-8-20W-American-Vintage-Guitar-Speaker.gc

I have the same amp and thinking of the same solution.

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  11. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Congrats on a great score Ken. Nice.

13. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Congrats! Glad it worked out for you.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Nice deal Ken!

I think a lot of us have that sort of investment history. My father had some stock of an unknown company that made brass lipstick tubes, but he had to sell it when his sister wanted out of some land ownership. The company was Scovill, later of Hamilton Beach Scovill.

My son declined to put a few bucks into Bitcoin at the beginning. $50 back then would have been many (many) thousands now.

I've made several bad investment choices too. I've decide that stock speculation is just not something that will ever help me. :)

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Nice score Ken! It was worth the gamble. I love hearing this stuff!

16. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Mr. Ken!!! damn you. Way to go brother!
    Roll the dice.....that's what I did when i got my Jagmaster from a CLer. His ad did not mention the guitar by name. He had all kinds of junk he was selling. It came up when I searched guitar, even though that wasn't in the title. So I opened the ad, even though normally I skip those.....but I rolled the dice and walked away with the Jagmaster that was sitting in a closet for 10 years.
    Happy for you on that amp! I have always wanted a vibro champ.

17. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Sometimes ! Sometimes !

jjudas and ElRey67 like this.
  18. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Great amp Ken!

19. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Thanks Guys ! Now get out there and Rescue Something ! ! !

20. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    So it is a Vibro Champ XD? Great deal.