Altamont, 50 years ago today, Rock's darkest day.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by NewsCam 603, Dec 6, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes, that was what I remembered, but with even further explanation. Thank you.

And it was just what I/we saw. And when said there was denials just as there are today with various cultural distortions.

Of course for a guy like me, age 73, to say such now brings a reasonable doubt. But when when someone like GH said it then that was a much harder denial -- although many (most?) I knew tried to make it because well, hey, 'easy' girls and endlessly avoiding responsibility has an appeal -- especially when such comes with a movement with all sorts of high and noble claims.

In my own "communal" house -- "Hippie House" it was called by the neighborhood regulars (who hated their girlfriends hanging out there and who eventually tried to burn us out -- a story all its own) -- getting the clap was so common we said it'd have to be called "applause."

Sounds funny now, but it was less so, at least to me, then. "How would you like your tetracycline this morning? With orange juice?"

I took my own course and then seeing far worse things (two friends murdered) I/we made our escape.

"Woodstock" was the era's last hurrah. But many of us knew already then where it was heading. Lost a lot of truly loved (and super talented) friends. That part still hurts. I will see them forever, still in the flower of youth, in my mind's eye.

-don

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    squierbilly and Hotrodleroy like this.
  2. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    This vid kinda summed up Atamont. Flying Burritos on stage while all cameras were on Hells Angles. Supposedly the Stones hired the Angles for security and people wound up dead. As Parsons said "the Stones left early in a chopper, with Mick carrying a suitcase of cash".

squierbilly likes this.
  3. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I'm pretty sure Gram left with them. At least that's how dad told the story to me. ;)

surf green and duzie like this.
  4. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Used to be when you were young all you needed to get thru most of your days was a bologna sandwich and a bottle of wine and some kicked back mellow friends. How times have changed. :(

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    What?! :eek: The 60s was not the utopian time like the boomer-made documentaries tell us? I'm shocked, shocked! :eek:

BuddyLee, duceditor and duzie like this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Uh huh. :)

What time tells us is that there can be no such time or place. Not if crowds are included. That because people are what they are and some just ain't so swell.

Or did I become a hopeless cynic at age 22?

Yeah! That's got to be it! :D

-don

BuddyLee and duzie like this.
  7. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    Coincidentally my favorite pastor uploaded a classic sermon of his titled The Baby Boomer Generation last night. One of my absolute favorite ones. Melted my face off like a Randy Rhoads solo. Had me LMBO too. It was great.

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Is that generally available? (I.e., can you provide a link?)

If not here, then on a PM.

I'm interested in hearing various outlooks. Especially from those with a living faith.

Thanks

-don

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Once you step around a drunk sleeping in the street and realize it's one of your idols you get jaded forever. For me it the Ramones. So long ago now. We were in Brooklyn Heights and went across to lower Manhattan. It wasn't Dee Dee or Joey. Johnny I think. Not a great memory. Innocence may have already been lost but this put a nail in the coffin.

10. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    PM sent.

It's not something I would post on a secular forum.

If a brother would like to hear it too, let me know, or any publican that is curious and not easily offended. :p And I'll send you a link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice