aging and.....classic rock?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Man... I thought you were typing my bio for a moment here !!! I have turn 59 last week and I have all the symptoms you described here. I'm with you all the way brother.

Flying Z and Loin Lover like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    YouTube is free, except for your internet charges. There's also the minimal amount of time to rip the music if you want it more portable. While there are several sites that rip videos to MP3, I use this one. On your PC, you'll want to use an ad blocker to stop ads (Google and Apple mostly prevent their use on mobile devices). I use a hosts file to do this.

I like to download concerts to listen to during my 3 hour drives to our factory location. My car has a built-in USB connector so I just put the ripped MP3's on a stick. On my most recent trip, I listened to early Led Zeppelin, Little Feat and Tedeschi-Trucks concerts.

3. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Yep, I tee totally agree. Many of Queen's more popular songs were beat to death when the movie was hot at the box office. I do not notice the same song played ad nauseam, however, I do notice extreme band play with a few songs heard from each. It seems bands such as Led Zep, Skynyrd, Jimi, AC/DC, Kansas, and Pink Floyd are played quite often, albeit the same 2-4 of their bigger songs. I hear the same couple of AC/DC songs 10 times more than anything from the Beatles.

I mentioned earlier the local station has an hour of requests. When I call I ask for a less popular song, often a deep cut or one hit wonder song. It amazes me how many folks request Stairway..., Sweet Home..., Purple..., Highway To..., Carry On..., or The Wall, as examples, during this hour. How about Mott the Hoople?

Flying Z likes this.
  4. Tundrawalker00

Tundrawalker00 Squier Talker

May 3, 2018
    Ludington, MI
    60s: oldies
    70s: classic
    80s hard rock: awesomeness
    90s: depressing crap
    00s: poppier crap
    10s: unrecognizable crap

Loin Lover, duggerh, Flying Z and 2 others like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Why do their corporate overlords allow such a thing, going off the marketing algorithm reservation?

Loin Lover, Flying Z and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bowling For Soup has a hit back in the early ‘00’s called 1985. One of my favorite lyrics, simply because it’s funny, goes “when the hell did Motley Crue become classic rock?”

Afrika61 and Loin Lover like this.
  7. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Hate to hear ya grumpy, which is a nice way of saying angry. I was grumpy back in the day with the stress of everyday life, 4 kids. 1.5 jobs, etc., etc. I decided I am not going to get angry no more and I got to say it sure is working out good. As far as music goes its kinda like society and science it is not linear, 3 steps forward 2 steps back. The late 50's thru the early 70's we took 3 steps forward now we are taking 2 steps backwards. I am into the blues now so that is all I have been listening to mostly on YT. Otherwise its BB king, Clapton, Cray or whatever else I pop in the player.

Best1989 likes this.
  8. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that nothing ever goes away any more.

Whatever you like in music, someone new, or at least more recent than you might think, is doing it right now. The only question is whether or not what they're doing is mainstream and popular enough that it's effortless to find. Broadcast at you all day long.

I think modern country music is awful, but there are people still doing classic style country. You don't need to pretend music stopped decades ago to hear it. Optimistic music has existed in every musical era, whether the songs were the biggest hits or not, and sometimes, they were.

There's no reason to ever give up.

Loin Lover and Best1989 like this.
  9. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    The only time the radio is on is late night for "Coast to Coast" and if it is not something interesting to me it is "off". I don't even turn on the radio in a vehicle, mine is too old for all that digital stations, just plain old AM,FM, with 6 cd's and cassett player.
    For give for ranting.
    Mike[/QUOTE]

I agree, the only time my radio is on is to hear “Coast to Coast”, George Noory or George Knapp, love that show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Mott The Hoople, Humble Pie, or if you're a fan of Galm Rock, Alice Coopers lesser known stuff(Unfinished Suite comes to mind), Beep-Bop Deluxe, New York City Dolls,...

Loin Lover likes this.
  11. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Some people are doing the same thing too, only slightly better. The version lacks the hairy armpits of the original and I love the retro '80s video game graphics::D

(Not to mention the fact that she's like 54 years old and still hot in this video)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    CVSteve and duggerh like this.
  12. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    When I was a kid, they didn’t have an “oldies” station. :eek:

13. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I called my local station to request a Kansas song for the request hour. More on that later.

The DJ took time to talk with me about what era is considered classic rock, at least that station's take on it. 1975--1995. Uh huh. Did someone mention I need to find an oldies station?

My request was Hold On from the 1980 album Audio Visions. He/they had nothing from that album. They had the big 3 Kansas songs: Dust; Carry on; Point.

14. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    This is an interesting thing to think about. When I discovered Classic Rock from a local radio station it was around 2000-2002 and most of the music that I was discovering on it was about 20 years old, from 1970-1979. I had just turned 18 and bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd really connected with my teenage brain.

Now, almost 20 years later these same Classic Rock stations are now playing Nirvana and other 90's bands. In some ways, it's not different than listening to The Wall in the year 2000. In fact, Nirvana's Nevermind is now 28 years old and when I first really experienced The Wall in 2000 it was only 21 years after release.

Loin Lover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice