aging and.....classic rock?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I will be the first to admit I am not aging gracefully. Grumpy, grouchy, and sick of being told everyone has to be tolerant of everything sums it up.

I do my best to not have to get out much since I struggle with traffic, noise, and most rude and obnoxious people. See what I mean about grouchy? I do my best to get essential shopping and errands accomplished during once-twice a month med appointment days.

My refuge is my land, garden, and work shop. A small clock radio stays tuned to a local "classic rock" station in my shop. Through the day they normally play what I consider classic classic rock from the '60s, '70s, and early '80s. Led Zep, Journey, Styx, Pink Floyd, et al. AC/DC to ZZ Top kind of music. I know they have a different music list later at night which is metal / hair band / head banger style. Forgive me, I truly do not know what that type of music is called. Metal? If so, where's the easy button?

Recently I have noticed unfamiliar, head banging songs being mixed in with the aforementioned "classics" more and more often. Since my damaged brain has not heard them hundreds of times I have difficulty understanding lyrics and the music (sic) sounds like the same four head banging bars stuck in a never ending loop.

Yes, there are other listening options such as sticking one of my hundreds of recorded TDK or Maxell cassettes in a tiny boom box. I'd probably need to blow sawdust out of it first. I prefer listening to the local station. Late morning today I heard a song which made me check the radio. I actually thought someone must have changed the radio station as a joke and/or to pi$$ me off. Not only did I not recognize the song, it was an unrecognizable mixture of head banging and hip hop. I think. Once my prayer was answered and the song ended I was surprised to hear the station's call sign followed by the Electric Light Orchestra. It was my usual station.

I know the DJ since they have a lunch time request hour and I've won a call-in contest or three. I decided to call to inquire. He kinda laughed when I asked if the prior song was considered classic rock. He informed me their format had changed and now anything 20 years or older is considered classic. Hmmmm. Then he told me the artist and song title. Ironically I probably heard this song performed live on one of my sandbox trips. It was Devil Without a Cause by Kid Rock.

No offence to Mr. Rock, The Rock, or any other "artist" I may take for granite (granted), that is not classic rock. Or have the classics, such as myself, changed?

2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    New "classic" about every 10 years or so.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I agree, Classic Rock means just that "Classic Rock". Some of this new stuff just doesn't fly with me.

duggerh, papa920 and Loin Lover like this.
  4. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    I’d be happy if the (classic rock/I-heart radio) which dominates the airwaves here played that song !
    The repetition of the same few songs everyday drives me crazy !

Flying Z and Bluzy like this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I like classic rock but when it's the radio it seems like the same songs over and over like the same AC/DC song followed by the same fill in the blank.... There are tons of classics I'd like to hear but not the exact same ones over and over.

6. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    So sorry loin lover but I had too :eek:

fadetoz and squierbilly like this.
  7. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    So much great music out(that is not on FM Radio) there that you can make your own “new classic” playlists. I still love classic rock but after the first verse, feels kinda tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    I've got plenty of years on me and am sick to death of classic rock. I live in Western NY where FM is just stuffed with classic rock stations. The Niagara Falls, Ontario station is "classic rock," but they also play lots of songs that weren't radio hits, but from the same albums. That, and Canadian rock makes it interesting.

I'd much rather listen to the local college alt-everything station. Half of what they play is noisy, lo-fi garage rock. I like that stuff, even if it's bad, because it's generally young folks really trying to do something.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:42 PM
  9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Lofi garage, love it! The nice thing about classic rock, is it’s always gonna be there to come home to. Funny though when Nirvana came out, I was amazed at how new and fresh his music sounded, now I can barely get through the 2nd verse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Z likes this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I listen to the the new/alternative rock stations over the the classic rock stations that play the same songs over and over. When I had Satellite radio I liked the 90s and 2000s hard rock station. Even the classic rock station on satellite played the same songs over and over.

FhPudd and duzie like this.
  11. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I agree, I am stuck on what I grew up listening to in the 60’s, 70’s & early 80’s which used to be “Rock” but seems to haves changed at one point to “Classic Rock”, I just cant listen to any of the new stuff no matter what they are calling it, I cannot listen to the radio anymore because I do not want to hear the DJ’s opinions or comments or views about anything or other music or bands I do not care for, that is why I either listen to my own music through iTunes or Amazon Music, you can play your favorite music from your favorite bands without colorful commentary or boring chatter from opinionated DJ’s. Just my 2 cents worth.

duceditor and -r3- like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    To me personally, Classic Rock is not so much an age as a genre/era. The music of the '60's, '70's, and some '80's. There are some new groups that emulate the Classic Rock sound, but they are not classic rock.

On the other point, thy do play the same songs to death. There is a plethora of great songs of that era/genre that seldom get airplay.

Just my $ .02

13. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Since I believe there really was no golden age of music in any time period, keeping tuned in to what's good from any decade is the best approach, in my experience.

There's garbage in any genre, so my radio station hops around a lot.

Best1989, Flying Z and bgmacaw like this.
  14. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Well I think you need to switch stations as the late 80’s and 90’s are taking over Classic Rock and our music is being pushed to Oldies Vinyl Stations.:)

daan, Archangelmm and Loin Lover like this.
  15. True. The play lists are short and repetitive. There's such a huge amount of "classic" that isn't being played over the FM airwaves. If they really diversified their playlists, you could go weeks, months without hearing the same song twice.

Cheers, Barrie.

duggerh, Afrika61, Loin Lover and 5 others like this.
  16. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier Talker

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    We have a new station down here on the Gulf called the CRAB classic rock and blues. Lots of classics 60s 70s 80s, but songs off of the album's i have never heard. But 8 also bounce around the radio dial except R&B and Rap...some was ok in the 90s and 2000s but mostly trash now IMHO.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  17. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Pardon me, but “Classic Rock” ended in ‘79! And, as I told my son, my generation perfected rock & roll, yours “F’d” it up. Now the answer you are looking for is Sirius XM Radio. If you don’t like the song on Classic Vinyl switch to Classic Rewind or Deep Tracks or...you pick.

18. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    After reading all this I'm even happier with Pandora

19. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I am constantly looking for new stuff, always looking for new musical tributaries to paddle down. I like classic rock but I couldn't listen to it on the radio for the reasons stated. We have a good friend and when she comes over, she always takes over our stereo. Bless her heart but without saying it in so many words, her attitude seems to be "If I don't know all the words, it's sh$t". I'm not young but I'm too young to set my musical listening tastes to one place on the dial and "break the knob off".

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I pretty much listen to I tunes. My daughter added me to her account for $5 a month. I download "essentials" lists of various artist . SRV, CCR ,Allman Bros, Zeppelin, etc . When I'm done ,I delete one an add another . Works great ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice