Affinity Strat Glued piece of wood in neck pocket

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by marsbleu, Jan 7, 2019.

1. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Hello there,

New here in the forum and in the sport of modding.

So i noticed piece of wood glued on the side of the neck pocket which got me a little bit worried.I thought that that the neck pocket was wider than the neck so they glued the piece of wood to make a "tight" fit.
    Am I right about this?Is there a way to fix this or should i not worry about it?

Thank you in advance and i hope i will be staying here for while.

Cheers IMG_20190107_230351.jpg

duggerh and VealCutlet like this.
  2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    If the neck is stable and plays well, act like you've never seen it and play the hell out of that Strat.

PURPLE HAZE !

... no it's white ...

whatever, turn it to 11 !

fattboyzz, marsbleu and Eddie like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's a shim. Sometimes there are minor adjustments needed. Even $5000 MIA Strats have them.

fattboyzz, DougMen and marsbleu like this.
  4. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Thank you both for the reply.I will try doing the acting part.
    First day here and I already feel enlightened :).

Cheers

5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome. Hope you stick around awhile. This is a good place. Lots of information. :)

6. Welcome to Squier Talk … let's see that Stratocaster … pics?
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Well it's a work in progress ...or a work in pieces still.But here she is.Sorry for the pic it lacks of artistic flare.I have changed the wiring,pots and switch and added a Suhr humbucker,later on i will add two single coils and see how it sounds since the pots are 250k.I sanded the neck a bit and it feels nice.I will change the bridge and tuning machines.Baby steps....the tough thing will be to setup the instrument once it is assembled.First timer here.

Attached Files:

Shaytan and Eddie like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome to Squier-Talk!

There's lots of information available here for just about any mod you might want to do. There's also several threads about doing setup. Some may direct you to a specific YouTube vid or another site, but rest assured the links have been researched by the poster so most all contain good, valuable information.

Enjoy yourself and have fun!

marsbleu, SquierTap and Eddie like this.
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
  10. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Love that color!

Welcome!

marsbleu and SquierTap like this.
  11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Welcome aboard, man... Boy, did you come to the right place! Lol... You'll find us SquierNuts are WAY more laid back and helpful than some forums... And don't sweat the setup... I've said it ALOT before, lol, but when I got here 9 months ago, I couldn't even change strings, now I've completely re-built my own custom guitars including finishes and wiring... Stick around, hoss... And that Strat is gonna be a screamer and a looker when ya get her done...

Eddie and marsbleu like this.
  12. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Big thanks to all of you.You're most kind and most helpfull.I am really enjoying the process and it's an additional pleasure to be in squier-talk.
    Thanks again :)

Eddie likes this.
  13. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Welcome to ST.

marsbleu and Eddie like this.
  14. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    And another Welcome. Friendly helpful folks here and I hope you'll think so too.

Nice skills so far and that's a good looking strat. What are your plans for bridge/block and tuners?

If bridge/block and it's the thinner body Affinity you can buy shallower but otherwise full size blocks for them now but be careful it'll match the bridge plate you use. The other common perhaps easier option is to use the full depth Fender MIM standard strat unit (the entire 'unit' comes with block, bridge plate and Fender stamped bent steel saddles all much better quality than the Affinity's) and either leave the rear plastic trem cover off, move it out from the body a few mm with foam etc or have the new block milled down a few mm (which I did). All options have been tried here successfully.

marsbleu likes this.
  15. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome

marsbleu likes this.
  16. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Good day to all.Thanks for your kind words.

Concerning the bridge and tuning machines, I haven't come to a decision yet.What i am looking for though is to avoid drilling for now and for components to be black.I am thinking about the wilkinsonVSVG if i can find it or the Babicz FCH concerning the bridge.Bare in mind that the measurements i made are completely rough and its very possible that they're off (almost certain).As to tuning machines i am thinking Graph tech lock ratio.

Any feedback/advice/correction would be most welcome.

Ps If i have neglected doing something regarding the rules or of the forum pls feel free.

Cheers

17. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    I wouldn't worry at all about a wood shim glued into the neck pocket. My Squier Affinity Strat came from the factory with automotive body putty in the side of the neck pocket to salvage some bad routing. The finished guitar looks perfect and works fine.

marsbleu likes this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I use whatever pick is the correct thickness for the shim . :0)

19. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hey there, and welcome! Out of curiosity, that body was bought new or second-hand? I'm curious whether someone in the factory went over it or if it was more likely a tech that used that to fix the excess of neck weegly in the pocket.

Do keep us updated on that project of yours! It sounds really nice and you'll surely notice most of us have a thing for modding and customising guitars! :)

marsbleu likes this.
  20. marsbleu

marsbleu Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2019
    Greece
    Greeting to all
    Shaytan, the guitar is brand new affinity.

Do I upload updates in this thread or create a new one?

Have a nice one and thanks again for the warm welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice