Affinity Neck Replacement

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by tpepper70, Nov 10, 2019.

1. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    I traded into this Affinity a few months ago and loved everything about it except the narrow neck. So I researched and found a Douglas Gravity Thinline neck and decided to try my hand at neck swapping. I've only been into guitar since May and when I get into something, I go all in. I'm mechanically inclined and like to tinker so I learned how to change strings, do set ups, change switches, etc, but haven't tried my hand at major modifications. Well, it's really not that hard, in fact, I was surprised at how easy it went, mostly. I broke the neck at the low E tuner when I removed it from the wrap, so I had to learn neck wood repair. Next, I had to sand the Douglas neck down to fit in the pocket. Once I had a snug fit, I clamped, aligned the strings and drilled my holes. Really an easy job if you have some patience and go slow. Anyway, I love the feel of this wide, flat neck and my sausage fingers have much more room. I'm waiting on my new strings to come in to do a final set up, but it's tuned up good for now. Thanks for this great forum and loads of info. Now if I could just play better, I know, practice, practice, practice. Lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

radiotech, jjudas, duggerh and 4 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Nice. What's the nut width of the new one? I like wider necks myself. I had USA Custom Guitars make me one that's 1-3/4" at the nut.

duggerh and dbrian66 like this.
  3. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    My calipers show it at 43.3mm. The Affinity was 40.6mm. It doesn't sound like much but it is definitely noticeable.

duggerh likes this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Nice looking guitar! And great job with the repair. Love the tooth pick dowel pins! Genius!

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

That sounds like a very meaningful difference.

dbrian66, duggerh and tpepper70 like this.
  6. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    I can't take credit for that. Was gonna use a dowel and a guy in a FB page said toothpicks was all I needed, so I took his advice. Broke off the opposite point, drill, wood glue and now it's real solid.

dbrian66, duggerh and LutherBurger like this.
  7. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    I thought I wanted a narrow neck because I have shorter fingers, but after playing, or attempting to, I quickly realized that the standard size neck, like what's on my Starcaster strat, is much easier.

dbrian66, Triple Jim and duggerh like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Very nice Mod/switch/repair/custom fit. You hit all the numbers with the one neck swap.

In the future, since you like the 43.3mm neck, you might look for an 'NC' Strat. They are an anomaly in Squiers as they were factory 43.2mm at the nut, with a full size body. They are still relatively easy to locate, but getting harder all the time since you are only dealing with three years, '94, '96 & '97. If you search the threads, you can find several threads about NC's, finding them and modding them.

Again, nicely done and congratulations.

dbrian66, radiotech and tpepper70 like this.
  9. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks. I'm learning what I like in guitars as I go. Really enjoy working on them and, according to my wife, would rather work on them than play them. I'll keep an eye out for those. I know there are much nicer guitars out there, but I can't justify spending the money when I can't play that good and love changing things. Why would I get a $1k guitar to mod? Lol. Thanks again to this great forum. Y'all make me feel welcome.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Cool.

The nice things about NC's is if you look sharp and are patient, they can be had for very little money. They are going up as people discover them, but they are still extremely affordable. Black or Dakota Red should both be found under $100, with black around the $65 mark. With the stigma of mid-90's China built (undeserved in NC/YN, really any Yako built guitar), it helps to keep prices low.

tpepper70, dbrian66 and radiotech like this.
  11. burke

burke Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2014
    florida
    What would you want for the narrow neck, Ive been looking for one?

tpepper70 likes this.
  12. tpepper70

tpepper70 Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2019
    Texas
    I'm not sure what shipping would cost, but message me and we'll work something out.

fattboyzz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice