Acoustic Guitar Rescue - Mistake taking off bridge

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Oldguitarguy, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    D9C5F308-D525-45A7-8D88-33A29F90606A.jpeg Picked up this Fender Acoustic today with the bridge starting to separate. Otherwise nice shape. Decided to buy as project. I used a heated scraper to pull the bridge the rest of the way up and scored the edges to avoid pulling up the finish but evidently not enough and I was not patient enough either. When the bridge popped off, an inch of finish on top came off with it. Evidently Fender glued the bridge over the finish. I guess that’s why it was starting to separate. In any event, I learned an important lesson for next time to really score the edges and take a lot of time to very slowly work the scraper under the bridge. The good news is that the guitar will still be a player when done, just might show an inch of finish cracked where I’ll glue it back.

I decided to add reinforcement under the bridge before I replace the bridge. I took a wooden paint stirring stick, cut it to size, glued it under the top at the bridge location, and clamped it. Tomorrow I’ll drill the holes through, sand the bottom of the bridge and guitar top where it attaches, and glue down the bridge. Fun project. Will probably use it as a drop down tuned guitar with 11-52 bronze strings.

Rat cam 68, jjudas, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  2. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Good job it's not a Martin, their top bracing is an art in itself so adding a paint stirring stick to it would destroy that heavenly tone

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  3. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    on the outer part of the bridge, just to the left and right of the peg holes. try to set a dowel rod on either side by placing the bridge where you want it and drill small dowel size hole about 1/2 inch or a little more from the edge and glue some dowels in there after you get the bridge set. Just gives it a little more grab and strength.

Oldguitarguy likes this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There should already be a bridge plate glued to the top under the bridge for reinforcement. Adding more might really affect the tone by inhibiting the top vibration too much.

Oldguitarguy and MrYeats like this.
  5. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Good idea. I think I’ll give it a try. I guess it’s a little bit of a double edged sword. The dowels will reinforce it and make it a lot less likely for the bridge to separate, but on the flip side if there is ever a problem, getting the bridge off will be an extra project. But I like the upside. Thanks!

MrYeats likes this.
  6. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    There is one, but it wasn’t strong enough so I added to it. I tried this on an Epiphone and it seemed to sound fine, but my ear might not be able to pick up the difference. Probably wouldn’t do this on a more expensive guitar as Marko60 suggests.

7. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Just drill out the dowels.

8. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Oh. All the way through. I thought you meant countersunk under the surface. 27FF9D34-2B33-4F8A-9877-503F8C41F5F3.jpeg 32517980-0B72-43FE-BEAF-34616F803E38.jpeg

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  9. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Any ideas for covering up the spot of lacquer that pulled off about an inch above the bridge?

MrYeats likes this.
  10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I would water down some Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty to a creamy thick consistency and spread it on the affected area. sand when dry and mask it off for gloss lacquer paint..Lacquer dries really fast so you can recoat often. Let it set for about 3 days to let the lacquer cure good, then buff it out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Oldguitarguy likes this.
  11. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    !st, this month's "Dan Erlewine" award goes out to you for the "paint stick brace" idea. Well done.
    On the paint, HD sells black Rust-oleum Lacquer, in a spray can. It's high lustre and a couple of thin coats will probably hide the crime scene.

12. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    How do you blend the edges? With sand paper? Will ultrafine paper eventually just be polishing?

13. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    The more you look at it, it maybe easier to use an epoxy filler for the void area (so it doesn't crack when screwed through), sand the whole top smooth and spray paint the top only. A super fine sanding of the new lacquer would probably allow the binding detail to come back to life. Then buff & polish.
    If would take about the same time as trying to make the cracked paint disappear. Good luck.

14. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Getting closer. I cleaned the lacquer off the Guitar top where bridge will set and still need to sand it as level as possible. Making a sanding block of the right width to do that job. See pic. I am trying to do the same with the bottom of the bridge but I scraped off as much as I could. Any ideas (solvent) to get the lacquer off the bottom of the bridge without destroying the wood or creating craters? Need that to be level too. B4F0F2A0-B7C6-4C4C-8D21-0C50DDF7F448.jpeg 612161C5-192A-4634-BA8A-1AD4DF59D604.jpeg 495EC6ED-83CA-4E13-8A62-7E28A99BDEAB.jpeg

15. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I used this awesome belt sander from Harbor Freight to sand the lacquer off the bottom of the bridge. Came out nice and level. Also used it to smooth the edges of the custom sanding block I made to sand the spot on the guitar top where the bridge will sit. The middle line of the spot is a little high. Wanted to sand only the bare spot so made a narrow block Hope to get the bridge mounted tomorrow. This is too much fun. Can’t wait to play this one. Why is the last rehab guitar always my favorite, at least until the next project? Do others get the same feeling? DC508E1B-0340-4D08-8B0E-19AE3A9D5A49.jpeg DD85C887-57BA-4531-8367-0D76331FCE9D.jpeg

16. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I could've really used that belt sander earlier today. I was sanding a bone saddle the hard way. Now my hand is too sore to play the guitar.

17. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    D9CF22C7-74B4-4AC2-98C7-05D8DA74243D.jpeg EBB4511F-AADC-4551-856C-F0E568632EAB.jpeg Sanded and holes drilled. Finally ready for glue tonight. Going to use the nails to index the holes until I get it clamped down and then I’ll pull them out and clean any glue out of the holes. Not sure what to do with the lacquer that got loose “bubbling” near the edge of the bridge. I think I am going to push some glue under it when I glue the bridge, hold it down, clean the glue off edges with a little water and hope for the best!

18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve had the dual belt/disc sander from HF for some time... now I need a garage to put it in!

SubSailer671 and Oldguitarguy like this.
  19. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    She’s in recovery. Gets out for follow up work on Wednesday. Hopefully gets a spin around the track on Thursday or Friday. Hammer is putting weight on the stick that’s holding down some lacquer. LOL. We’ll see. 4CC79429-E5F3-47F8-9F35-DEA4720F3ADD.jpeg

fattboyzz likes this.
  20. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Ready for strings. Too bad I messed up the spot above the bridge. Oh well. Only cosmetic and I was able to hide it a little bit. Hope it’s a player. 7C46338D-7415-4B68-8A10-FF159528BEDA.jpeg

surf green and fattboyzz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice