A Word to the Wise About Auction Bidding

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jefffam, Sep 10, 2019.

1. WNCStratman

WNCStratman Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    And even though I’m conservative with my bidding, I just received a guitar this afternoon with a nice crack in the body at the bridge. I’ve learned my lesson, I won’t be buying any more guitars sight unseen. I was really stoked too about having a little Peavey guitar to bang around on.

2. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier Talker

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    My tactic is to not bid until the last 30 seconds or so, then I place my maximum offer. If I really want something that is what I do. I set an alarm on my phone and bid as close to the last second as I can. Too often I have bid on an item that has been passed up and relisted, only to have another bidder jump in to prevent it from getting away. Some items people watch if it isn't a top priority, thinking that it will still be there next week after another payday. But when I bid on it early then I find myself in a bidding war. This is especially bad on SGW because they give you a week to pay, which lets you put stuff in a sort of short term layaway till payday.

There is something I am waiting on now, a history related item which currently has 3 bidders. It is at less than $20 but is worth over $1k and is something I have had an interest in since a 3rd grade field trip. If I win the auction I'll let you guys know what it is. :p

Best1989 and -r3- like this.
  3. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Correct, any Ebay sold auction that had a "OBO" that was accepted is assumed to have sold at the minimum bid, not the accepted actual price. BUT, if you sort by price, it WILL SORT by the actual accepted price. So if somebody had won an auction or used a buy it now for a similar guitar for $260, that item would sort above his even though his said that it sold for $299. (I think this also includes shipping, though, so ya gotta consider that). You can also widen your search to include anything sold then limit the price spread, if you really really want to know what was paid for something.

4. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    That's a great trick, I didn't know about the sorting thing.

drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice