A few more VM mods.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SpeedKing, Sep 8, 2019.

1. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Big change of look and a little detail to please a ridiculously huge Blackmore fan.

Since I got my CIJ oly white '72 reissue my vintage blonde VM70 had lost it's purpose.... the CIJ was a much better and closer tribute to Ritchie's 'trademark' look '74.

Solution? Now it wears black covers and knobs again (It had gone to all white plastics for a while) but this time complete with a Fender b/w/b guard and block saddles on the MIM bridge so it now looks remarkably like his '77... right down to flat pole pups and the lack of the 'Orig Con Body' decal. It was his favourite before he discovered the Schecter pups that went into his '74 in late '79. The '77 covered the 'Long Live Rock n Roll' and 'Down To Earth' years.

_DSC0068.jpg

Robb, fattboyzz, TEXINGA and 11 others like this.
  2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    No comments?

I personally think I've now decided I like it as it's completely different visually now to the CIJ and covers another era of Ritchie's strats in my Blackmore 'Tribute' series.

I can't help thinking it'd be a little nicer looking with a darker piece of Rosewood though.

Is it possible to stain rosewood darker?

Robb, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It definitely is! It's usually easier to go to black than it is to go a little bit darker, but I've had good luck with Old English Scratch Cover for dark woods.

Robb, mb doug and Hotrails15 like this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I still really want to make a Strat with Blakemore wiring. A white and black one is even better! That color combo seems to be the least common.

Robb and mb doug like this.
  5. Hotrails15

Hotrails15 Squier Talker

Sep 7, 2019
    North Carolina
    Looks great!

Robb likes this.
  6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Thx Hotrails... enjoy slot car racing in your younger years?

Here's the look I wanted ... shame I can't reproduce the sound.

Ridiculous solo (and I don't mean Ritchie's studio miming).

Robb likes this.
  7. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Can't remember the last time I saw a black guard on Olympic white, it looks good.

Robb and daan like this.
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Robb likes this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Thx for the info drewcp and dawn. Certainly under consideration.

I too think it looks good cool gouhl. I think it's certainly as they say "of it's age".

Robb and drewcp like this.
  10. I followed Ritchie's career until he dropped his Strat and picked up the lute.
    Apparently not close enough to know what particular Stratocaster he used thru certain eras.
    Do you have a replica of his lute? :D Cheers, Barrie.

Robb and daan like this.
  11. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    No... but I am saving up for a replica of his Hurdy Gurdy!!!

If you've not listened to Blackmore's Night give 'em a whirl. Some lovely acoustic playing to be found. I've even managed to see them live 5 or 6 times.

Robb likes this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Seems like a great place for this ;)

Robb and SpeedKing like this.
  13. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Ahh, '75. I was too young to buy records when it first came out but had caught up with his entire catalogue a few years later.

In '75 you got both Deep Purple Mk3 and Rainbow Mk1. That'll most likely then be his natural Ash '72. I couldn't match his grain of course so I just went for something with the same overall visual 'tone' with different but equally killer grain for my MIM CS tribute.

Modded with block saddles for the vintage detail.

_DSC0001.jpg

And the picture on the inside cover of that Album ... a picture I gazed at for hours in my teens.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Robb and daan like this.
  14. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    If you’re really lucky, you can get to see Mrs Blakemore sweeping the stage with a broom when she feels Mr Blakemore’s solo has gone on a bit too long... :p (and I just spent waaaay too long looking for that on YouTube)

Robb likes this.
  16. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    When you're really really lucky Mr B (Oh daan and that's for Mr Blackmore .. as in the colour black... When I was small even the name had a danger and allure!) hands you a free beer on the end of his wizards staff! I've had several now over the years.

daan and Robb like this.
  17. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Looks awesome! Excuse my ignorance, what is that on the headstock ?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Robb likes this.
  18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Robb likes this.
  19. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Thanks.

It's just a strap button on the headstock. It does nothing. There to promote dialogue.

When the VM had a mint '62 style guard with black plastics and was my tribute to Ritchie's 'trademark' colour combo '74 (his favourite from mid '79 till it was ruined during a refret in about '89) it was added as Ritchie had added one to his own in very late '79 or early '80 ... just after it was modded with his now familiar colour scheme with the switch to F500T pups and Schaller tuners in mid '79.

He just did it to wind people up apparently. Kept Cozy Powell going for ages he reckons.

Now the VM is my '77 tribute I've removed it and will in due course fill the hole (I use a mix of different fillers to get the right match and make the best easiest job). I don't think though I'll be adding it to the CIJ which is now my '74 tribute. It'll stay a tribute to that guitar but in those brief months of late '79 with new pups, colours and tuners but without button. As it was when he recorded the Down to Earth album and videos.

Like this ...

[​IMG]

EDIT: drewcp beat me to it.

daan, Robb, brians and 1 other person like this.
  20. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

Looks just like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ff&gclid=CJya1b_UxuQCFYYCiAkdqQwKnA&gclsrc=ds

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice