96 Korean Epiphone lp surprised me

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Hotrodleroy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Asked about one of these yesterday and got some good advice. Picked it up today and it was a case queen. Plays great. 8.2lbs. Was ready to swap out the pups and fadetoz told me to give them a chance. Glad he did they sound great, nice and full, and very well rounded. A keeper for sure. KIMG0699.JPG KIMG0709.JPG

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Great looking LP, congrats.

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Damn beautiful!!!!
    Happy for you, man

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  4. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA

I traded a guitar that I wasn't playing much for it and had for sale. Thinking I will just flip this one, nope it plays to nice, so I got to pick another one to sell. Don't want to end up like "Eddie" and run out of room. But it's getting close. :)

5. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    The picture of it in sun looks good, kinda jumps out at you.

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That's the way to do it.

Stratlover84 likes this.
  7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats on a keeper !

Now tell us what kind of guitar stand that is :eek::eek:

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Yeah, my walls are lookin pretty colorful also.:D

Hotrodleroy likes this.
  9. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    It's the I can't wait to get it in the house stand. Gonna patent it. :)

10. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I have one very much like it. Maybe a year older. Plays great. I had to replace the electronics and swapped the pickups at the same time. The baseplates of the pickups are stamped with 2 words - "SAM SUNG"

Bassman96 and Hotrodleroy like this.
  11. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    gladiator-epi.jpg

Happy New (to you) €pi Day

Hotrodleroy and BlueSquirrel like this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Great choice! You did well!

Hotrodleroy and Paruwi like this.
  13. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I was just a wee teenager in the 90's when these were coming out, but I do remember really liking the wood and build quality at the time on those Korean LP's.

My friend's dad had one and it played really nice. I'd be in the market for one if the price was right locally.

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
  15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I just picked up a 96 Korean LP this weekend and it is a very nice feeling guitar! My pups aren't all that great though. Are yours marked "Sam Sung"? Other than that it is a great guitar and I'm loving it.

20190809_232523.jpg

Hotrodleroy and drewcp like this.
  16. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA

Yep same pups, mine are set low, might try adjusting them. I was under the same thought when I was going to get it, but I wouldn't change a thing. Does yours have a long neck tenon? I was surprised to see that mine did, it has unbelievable sustain.

17. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Honestly I don't know if it is long or short. This is my first experience with a LP. Here is a pic of the back. Maybe you could tell me... Is long better?

20190809_181333.jpg

I will play with the pickup heights. The bridge is really week sounding already though. I have plans for upgrades. I will probably still do a swap.

18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN

You would have to take the neck pickup out and see if the bottom of the neck is visible there, or if it's just body wood.

Really good photo example here:
    https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...g-neck-tenon&p=1271550&viewfull=1#post1271550

Bassman96 likes this.
  19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Try this before going anywhere with the pups.

I set the bridge pickup (pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the strings (1/8" or ±3cm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? Go ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it (counter clockwise for humbucker, clockwise for P90). Test clean and with OD. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck pup.

Any neck pickup will sound boomy if adjusted too high.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

That is a fun thing to do. Take your time and you will find the sweet spot for each pickup.

Bassman96 likes this.
  20. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice