'92 Fender Stratocaster MIK Squier Series (CN series)

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by kbcarroll, Apr 14, 2011.

1. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Squier Talker

Hello all, and welcome to my first thread here.

I've always only ever played my first guitar: a 2001 Fender american SERIES (read: not standard) strat in a very rare hot rod red finish. This made me a snob. I would refuse anything "less."

For the last 4 or 5 years, I've had a buddy's "junky squier" in a case under my bed because he didn't play anymore. Not really sure how I came to be the caretaker.

Anyway, my wonderful bride-to-be has purchased me 2 guitars since we've been dating. One is a mexican '72 thinline tele, the other is a chinese gretsch pro jet. This REALLY opened my eyes to the craftsmanship and great deals that can be had on buying foreign guitars.

I pulled the squier out from under the bed to finally give it some attention. It is the guitar listed in the title.

What I love about it:

The weight and balance are PERFECT. I have no idea what kind of pickups are in it, but they are surprisingly well balanced and clear, I might not even upgrade them. The neck is warm and thick. Not exactly sure of the radius but it will do.

What I hate about it: thin frets. I hate tiny frets, and I don't know why. Plus, these are all worn out in the usual "cowboy chord" places. The nut just looks awful when de-stringed. The body is plywood, but I don't quite hate that. I'm not a snob anymore, it sounds fine and feels fine. I replaced the entire bridge/saddle assembly with a 70's guitar man kit that was given to me. The fretboard: it's flat! I HATE flat fretboards!

I was thinking I'd get the fretboard planed and levelled to match the round countour that a strat neck is supposed to have (at the same time I'm getting it refretted, that is).

Just my $0.02. I like the guitar! Fantastic deal on a potentially awesome guitar!

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Dr. Squier

Welcome aboard kb,, there alot we all like to do to our Squiers. Sorry your is a fret radius job...

3. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

pics would be much appreciated cause i've never seen a korean fender squier series, only mexican.

4. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Dr. Squier

They're the ones with the Fender silver big logo and the small Squier Series towards the Nose in black.

5. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Squier Talker

Added some pics. The red one is my amurrican strat.

Attached Files:

6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Dr. Squier

Here's a closer-up

Attached Files:

7. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Both Cort (CN) and Saehan/Vester (VN) made Fender "Traditional" series (no decal on the ball) and "Squier Series" (decal on the ball) back then. The decals look very similar except the SN.

8. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Squier Talker

Quick question for anyone who would know. My first post indicates that I believe it's plywood, but I'm not exactly sure. Is there a better way of knowing what kind of wood is in it?

9. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

very nice, that already has a full size block in it.

10. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

11. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Squier Talker

Anyone know what the body in these things are made of? Plywood?

12. justbob

justbob Squier-Nut

My VN2 is plywood. It's been stripped down to the bare wood. Just not sure what I'm gonna do with it.
    The neck is going on a hardtail partscaster.

13. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Squier Talker

I would throw "changing out those trapaziod tuners" on the list of things to do. You will be glad that you did. Other than that it looks like a nice piece. For not a ton of money you can make any squier into a really nice playing machine. Keep us posted on what you are gonna do with it. I love these stories of people who never thought that Squiers were worthy. Thats awesome.

14. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Pull off the trem cover. If the wood looks like it is a wafer then it is plywood. Based on the model and the time period, I would guess ply as it was very common during that time. Cort was notorious for grabbing any extra parts so sometimes you can get a real gem. Somewhere I have a picture of an old Squier HM3 that was sanded down and the upper horn was quilted maple with the middle and lower horn being basswood.

15. Thin Lizzy

Thin Lizzy Squier-Nut

If it's a CN with a black Squier logo it's plywood. I had one just like that. The later Korean Squiers were solid from late 95 onwards. CN5 / 6 gold logos were solid with a 44mm thick body and 9.25 rad board. Much nicer.

16. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Photo of the headstock shows its a CN2 -

17. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

MIK Fender Squier Series strats were built with plywood... CN2, CN3 and VN3... They didnt do a VN2...

18. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

There was one on our CL (CN2) two days ago - asking $70 but the guy really indicated he'd take less....I tried to snag it for the neck and trem/block.

Too late as usual...

19. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Bummer... 70 bucks is lower then ive ever seen one go for. I lucked out about a half year ago and got my arctic white VN3 version for 82 bucks... Havent seen any others go for under 100 bucks tho... 70 would be nice...

20. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

I paid $100 for a CN2 Fender Squier Series not that long ago. That is about the going price for them these days. $70 is a good deal. I might pay as much as $125 for a really nice one. Any more than that and it is getting too close to what I can get an older MIM Fender Standard for...