87 MIK bullet 1 strat parts connection

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Explorer1, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    I am in need of the following for my 87 MIK squire Bullet 1 strat project,

- a pair of trem bridge pivot/height folcrum screws, I believe these directly thread into the body as there are no inserts with machine threads and factory holes are pretty small, from the pics I have seen the bridge I was given (in the parts box that came with the body) is the original, as it has 2 small holes that line up perfectly with the body holes, also looking for the back cover plates, and the pup toggle switch plastic trim piece,

My strat is an HSS with no pick guard, it has 1 volume 1 tone and the 3 (or 5) way switch. I have only seen pics of black (which mine was) or cream finishes.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated,,, Thanks.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I have the same guitar you are describing. Here are some pics for you to confirm you have the same guitar.

2007-01-13 18.45.07.jpg 2007-01-13 18.42.35.jpg 2007-01-13 18.51.27.jpg

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

This thread talks a little about the wood screws that are the pivots for the trem bridge in these guitars. I have never seen anyone selling those screws. Virtually everyone who has Squiers with this arrangement deck the bridge and don't use the whammy bar. Note also in photos that the screws will tilt in the body from the string tension, causing the body holes to elongate towards the neck. That necessitates a more complicated fix.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/e7-mik-bullet-ngd.87945/#post-413376

I think the 2 screw holes in this type of bridge plate do align with what would be the outermost holes in a 6 screw vintage bridge from this era. That might be easier to find and more useful, and would certainly be more reliable. But of course it is not original.

I have thought of manufacturing a conversion kit for these 2 point bridges, but there is really probably very limited demand.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Kenneth Mountain and squierbilly like this.
  4. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, E7 Bullets are not built to go whammy... Its more of a decked and go with what ya have type of guitar... Great deals as quite often you can get them for dirt cheap for what they are. But if ya wanna go crazy on a trem bar they are not what the doctor ordered... Due to the the trem setup with those 2 screws...

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Is that how those intonation screws came? ... on the opposite side of the bridge plate backing? Wow.
    Cheers, Barrie.

6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

No. The previous owner had the guitar apart and then quickly reassembled it for selling on CL. He just stuck the screws in the wrong side to make sure they didn't get separated from the guitar.

Here's the old thread where I got this guitar and 3 others during a 5 day trip to California, for a total of $165!
    http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/hngsd.95454/#post-456291

7. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
  8. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Thanks for all the great info. Wow. Yes that's the exact guitar body I have. Is your switch a 3 way or 5 way? I was given both. Happily one is a vintage DM 50!! I was also given a sweet bullet one 9-5-84 MIJ bullet one neck that I think I can use in it? Looks like I will either have to adapt a 6 screw bridge which I do have or make the screws myself? Thanks again to all for the help. Cool forum.

9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Is your switch a 3 way or 5 way?

5-way. If I get out to the garage tonight, I'll see if it has a DM50. The little plate around the selector lever is metal, if I recall correctly. I'll get a few more pics for you.

That MIJ neck should fit just fine. However, check carefully for misalignment between the 4 neck-mounting screw holes in the body and those in the neck. Apparently a lot of the E7 MIK Squiers were mis-drilled. You may end up needing to redrill and possibly dowel the neck to match the body holes. See the following recent thread for background.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/second-opinions-on-korean-squier-id.134449/#post-649201

10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Here are details of the control cavity and a straight-on look at the neck screw holes. I didn't try a neck plate on them to see how they aligned, but it looked pretty good.

I tried a magnet on the selector switch slotted plate, but it didn't stick, so if it is metal, it is not ferrous.

IMG_20180306_160547227_HDR.jpg IMG_20180306_160623023.jpg

11. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Thanks again . Mine has an M stamp under the clear on it also but mine is orange? And I think it says st- 87?

12. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Do you still need the screws? If I can find them in my nightmare of a work space, I’ll mail ‘em to you.

13. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    That would be great if you can find them . Thanks very much for the effort if not.

14. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    IMG_20180216_153337714.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Almost there...pups and some covers...the cure for cabin fever here in the great white northeast

16. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Man,, best lookin E7 bullet I ever seen,, great job!..
    And welcome to squier talk,, glad you found us..

17. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Ditto on the Great Job! Did you use heat to strip the body? Was all of the maple veneer intact, or did you have to repair any spots?

18. Explorer1

Explorer1 Squier Talker

Mar 5, 2018
    upstate new york
    Thanks. All was in tact but has cracks and some small repairs but was happy to find it was not plywood. The neck is a 84 mij ... Can't wait to finish and try it out. I have an 80 super distortion for the bridge and 2 Tex Mex middle/neck I am gonna try .. I had to make the bridge screws and switch plate.. still looking for a period humbucker trim/mounting ring but no luck so far... Not bad for my first refin I think and maybe 1 of a kind....