8 Days to the Moon and Back

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by TomL, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

There’s lots of programmes over the next few weeks in the UK to mark the 50th anniversary of the lunar landings (I’m guessing there’ll be quite a few in the US, considering it was America that actually did it.) I watched 8 Days to the Moon and Back on BBC2 last night, which was a 90 min docu-drama. It took original footage from the astronauts themselves, along with TV footage and mixed it in with actors lip-synching to declassified audio footage of the mission. It was extremely well made. It was a BBC production, but I believe it is going to be shown in the states next week. Just a heads up to look out for it, if you’re into that sort of thing, because it was fantastic.

2. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    I would be more impressed if NASA could show UPS how to get a package
    across town in one piece.

daan, Viking, eaglesgift and 8 others like this.
  3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    NASA on the moon 50 years ago? Pure rubbish! ;)

SquierTap and waynes world like this.
  4. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    That's cool, thanks for the advice! There was a documentary on the lunar landing yesterday evening on local tv, I really enjoyed it! I hope they will broadcast 8 Days To The Moon And Back here as well!

SquierTap likes this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    iWKad22.jpg

mb doug, VealCutlet, CVSteve and 4 others like this.
  6. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Conspiracy theorists are, bizarrely, given more time and attention these days.

Don't bait them into here! :rolleyes::D

SquierTap likes this.
  7. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    I guess I should not say "flat earth" lol.

Fasteddie42 and SquierTap like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    There are many fine programs on this subject. Jan and I were newlyweds that sumner, and I'd been 'into' the subject even before the Russians launched the first satellite (via the books of Warner VonBraun and Willy Ley.)

The recent documentary "Apollo 11" was superb. Enough that we plan to rewatch that the night of the anniversary of the landing. But I am glad to hear about another highly recommended one.

A great intro to those who'd like to understand the entire 'project' is Tom Hanks' HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon." -Both factually rich and highly entertaining.

-don

daan, squierbilly, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
  10. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

From the Earth to the Moon was shown in the UK years ago. Great series. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Got the DVD Boxset

VealCutlet, SquierTap and duceditor like this.
  11. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

I’ve just checked. It definitely is on in the US
    Wednesday (July 17) PBS

SquierTap likes this.

12. I watched the lunar landing and walk back then. I'll have to find something to watch on TV to commemorate that 50 year event … oh ya, and the Mets won the World Series that year.
    Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug, radiotech, SquierTap and 4 others like this.
  13. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    SquierTap likes this.
  15. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  16. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    There are a bunch of programs in the US.

PROOF:

Actal footage of the moon landing in 1969....

300px-seek=351-Le_Voyage_dans_la_Lune_(Georges_Méliès,_1902).ogv.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    VealCutlet likes this.
  17. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I remember watching it on TV.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  18. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

I wasn’t even born! I was hoping that amongst, its pretty hefty and impressive looking series of programmes, the BBC would perhaps show their coverage of the landing. But no, it’s not amongst it. Then again, up until the mid 70s, they didn’t always keep stuff, and would often wipe programmes and record over. It seems crazy that they would do so with something so historic, but it’s entirely probable that they simply kept the stock footage of Armstrong’s first steps and wiped the rest.

1969 was a good year for my team Newcastle United, as we won the European Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, which 3 years later morphed into the UEFA Cup, and is now known as the Europa League (prior to 2000, this was a much more illustrious competition than the current Europa League). We haven’t won any major honours since, (although we’ve come close a few times). But thanks to our abysmal owner, we are currently an extremely embarrassing mess.

19. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Yes it was a very common practice to re-use tape in the television business but it makes me wonder how much good music was taped over in the same manner from way back.

20. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice