'50s Sci-Fi Movies-- Anyone else love 'em?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Mar 25, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes. Interestingly that is the one I knew. Saw it on TV in the 70s.

There, is, btw another version of the older film on YouTube -- the same print but supposedly with a better soundtrack. That is the one we are viewing.

The prinit is not too good -- but then again it was made t be viewed on probably a 12 to 14 inch TV screen. But visuals apart is it superb. Great script and acting. (Hey, its BBC!)

We are in 2 episodes of the 6. Worth watching!

-don

mb doug likes this.
  2. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I just found this thread. My favorites have all already been mentioned: The War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Forbidden Planet. I watch them several times a year.

Not a favorite, but one I saw in the theater, The Mummy scared me to death for years. I think I was 5, maybe 6, years old.

I never did like the Godzilla movies. These two genres are just weird and I don’t consider them to be sci-fi. Horror is not for me and lizards are just...weird, like I said. Same for gorillas...

Not from the fifties, but illustrative of good sci-fi, is this episode of Star Trek, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever and the kind I look for.

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  3. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    One of the few things on TV I watch with any regularity...

http://svengoolie.com/

Specific flix?

“The Thing From Another World”, “Invasion Of The Body Snatchers”, “Them”, and “Gojira” (the original uncut/unAmericanized “Godzilla”) are four of my all time favs. There are so many more though, “The Blob”, “Invaders From Mars”, “Forbidden Planet”, “The Angry Red Planet”; the 50s was the golden age of science fiction movies.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:18 AM
    willhowl, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Check out "The Cosmic Man" on youtube. No monster exactly, but has that good late 50's creepy vibe for sure. John Carradine's voice is always a creepy treat.

5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Our "Sci-Fi Sunday" galas have continued. Two or even three such films each Sunday. Some we've seen many times, others (and we are always on the lookout for these) for the first time.

We on some days choose a theme and watch several films that meet it.

We watched 3 films based on the Jack Finney's 1954 novel "The Body Snatchers" a couple of weeks ago. Then we had fun with "Journey to the Center of the Earth" - watching first the 2008 version which we were familiar with, then the 1959 version which neither of us had seen before.

That version was a BIG thing among my classmates when I was in Jr. high school. (So naturally I didn't see it) ;) It was said to "star" Pat Boone -- another reson I expected it to be rather poor.

Actually though it was anything but poor. And Pat Boone -- who was listed first to attract teen audiences (the real "star" was James Mason) -- gave a quite good performance.

No, it is not the level of some of the films we have been listing here. It was a large budget, mass audience, type film. But fun to view. Worth seeing. (We will no doubt watch it again)

This weekend's "Sci-Fi Sunday" is going to be based on out-of-time films. "Frequency" is on the definitie viewing list. Maybe "Somewhere in Time." And/or "The Time Traveler's Wife" which is in our collection, but which we have never viewed. And there are many other such -- "time" themed films. Indeed enough for a couple of Sundays.

The "Back to the Future" series. Both "The Time Machine" films -- 1960 and 2002 versions. And lots and lots more.

Gotta love this stuff!

(Well, we do anyhow.) :)

-don

willhowl likes this.
  6. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Absolutely love these movies,growing up in Detroit we had "sir graves ghastly" and "the ghoul" hosting movies every weekend,also being close to the border,we could dial in cbc 9 from Windsor that had many BBC programs that weren't available to most of America that spoiled us here before cable. I was fortunate to be a youngster at that time and place. I owe the Canadian broadcasting a lot from doctor who to Peter puck(hockey night in Canada,I know not topic,but still grateful)

7. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    The Time Traveler’s Wife is a good one. Watch the look on the little girl’s face when she asks the time traveler if he is married.

willhowl and duceditor like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    In New York we had Zacherley. As a kid I lived for his program and my first public music were songs I submitted to his show -- a couple of which he sang.

The Wolfman. Dracula. Bride of Frankenstein. Etc. Etc.

That and weekend matinees were IT. Saw "War of the Worlds", "Them!" and so many other on first release.

I guess that's where it started for me.

Jan was forbidden as a child to see those films, and thus I got to introduce them to her. Fortunately she enjoys them as much as I do. And thus Sci-Fi Sunday was born. :F

-don

"John Zacherley -- The Cool Ghoul" along with Isabel and Gasport -- his never seen companions. What a show!

0ab695f03babe51c8166e27a13a28410.jpg

willhowl and JoeInMichigan like this.
  9. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Don, If you could get your hands on a director's cut with the alternative ending included of the Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher (yes Ashton Kutcher) you'll get to see one of the best films I've seen involving time changes, alternative future etc! This is a fine film that may get lost in the shuffle! Even the edited version with the standard ending is worth a look but the alternative way the director wanted to end this film elevates it to a classic in this genre! It's way up there on my list!

10. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Hey, just thought I'd mention a few although not 50s. I always got a kick out of those 2 Dr.Phibes films Vincent Price made, 1971-72! Kind of campy, ya gotta love Vincent price wearing a Vincent Price mask! LOL!! I really liked him in the classic Theater of Blood with sexy Dianna Rigg! Good stuff.

11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I don't know about the version, but that is another film we have in pur collection that we have yet to watch. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

-don

12. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga

13. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    To me, "Forbidden Planet, and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" are a notch above. True classics. "The Thing scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it as a kid. I particularly enjoyed the Ray Harryhausen monster flicks. Still enjoy all these when I see them coming on.

duceditor likes this.
  14. RetiredNSquired

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    The only recent horror film I really enjoyed (I can't abide slasher movies), was "Cabin In the Woods" from a few years go. Has Chris Hemsworth,yes, Thor, and starts out as pretty much a generic early 20 yr. old type horror deal, but has a pretty unique twist toward the end, and even manages to bring in Sigourney Weaver. I thought it was intelligently done, well worth a watch.

15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    When I search for old sci-fi I find that sellers often mix it with "horror." Understandably, I guess. Which category would the 1931 "Frankenstein" fall into?

Its own intro spoke -- warned actually! -- of it "horrifying" its audience. But to today's audience it is almost "light entertainment."

With that caveat understood I am not attracted to "horror" at all. Monster movies, though, I love. And not just "idea" films.

Taste is a funny thing.

The difference is often a matter of presentation. Emphasis.

Older films tended to be less graphic. To put more stress on the story telling.

I also find that the character of the people -- whether or not I'd actually enjoy their company -- influences how much I enjoy a film.

Steve McQueens character in the 1958 version of The Blob is a cool guy whose company I'd have enjoyed. The same is true for Kevin McCarthy's Dr. Bennell. Just a great guy! While Donald Sutherlan's Dr. Bennell in the 1978 remake is to me far less appealing. -Not a bad guy, mind you. But not one I'd choose for company.

And that is what these films largely are to me. Time spent in familiar company. Good, simple, fun.

The better sci-fis also -- and again, this is what is important to me -- have well written scripts. Taught. Not overly wordy.

Even a s a kid the films I favored were so -- although at the time I would not have so recognized them. "Them!" 1951's "The Thing From Another World." "The Day the Earth Stood Still" -- these were my early favorites and each stands up well when seen by me as a well-read adult.

Films that are mostly special effects driven tend to bore me. As does a lot of on-screen mayhem. Destruction. Car chases. Gun fights. Zzzzzzz.

Others can and do feel the exact opposite. And for today's audiences my favs are all zzzzzs. "When does the action start?"

Again, like in so much else, there is no right and wrong. Much that I enjoy is cheesy.

Funny, that!

I'm sure glad Jan shares my taste. She loves Sci-Fi Sunday as much as I do!

-don

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  16. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    Ah, yes! When I was a kid in the early 70's, those old classic movies were mainstays on late night Chiller Theater. How I loved them. I'd bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies or brownies, grab a glass bottle of Pepsi and away we'd go! I'd like to add a few more posters:

Brain.jpg Taurus.jpg This Island.jpg

duceditor likes this.
  17. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    And folks...we must give credit where it isn't due... :p

Plan_9_Alternative_poster.jpg

duceditor likes this.