'50s Sci-Fi Movies-- Anyone else love 'em?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Mar 25, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Anyone else here into fifties sci-fi films?

As mentioned in another thread I am really, REALLY, into these films. Some for their campy and unserious fun, others for their genuine goodness.

This is a love Jan shares with me. In her case, totally unlike my own, she was forbidden to see these as a kid. -Her very sincerely Catholic parents closely monitored what films she watched. Not me! I was allowed to be a matinee regular and these films were my absolute favorites.

Anyhow we both do love them now. And turn, typically, one Sunday each month into "SciFi Sunday", where we watch one such film after another, not atypically with an accompaniment of fun finger foods -- pizza, burgers, dogs and the like. And, of course, lots of buttery popcorn!

For those who do not know the 1950s sci-fi/monster genre, here's a short precis.

Many were schlock. But even these can be fun. Clever stories, often made with a low budget, but fun and effective none-the-less.

Some examples...

60 ft woman and Tarantual posters.jpg

Others are more "serious" films. Not "serious" in the sense of intent, but in the sense of good, tight. scripts with well drawn characters and situations. Well acted and and nicely photographed.

Here are some of my own favs that fit that group...

Them.jpg beast_from_20000_fathoms_poster_01.gif The Thing.jpg

Unlike later Sci-Fi (and "horror") films these fifties era films were not mostly special effects, nor were they bloody or especially "scary." (Well, not for older viewers, anyhow. For kids, well...) What they were was FUN. Entertaining. -The opportunity to enter totally different worlds than that of the everyday.

My own collection of these films is pretty huge. And always growing. Quite a change from the genuinely serious cinema I more typically favor.

These are typically short movies -- 90 minutes or even less -- made for when double and even triple feature showing were the way to bring kids into a theater on a rainy afternoon. Then sell 'em boxes and boxes of Malt Balls, Banana Splits and Sugar Daddy all-day suckers.

But these films were not just for kids. In fact for many teenagers were the real target audience. And, now, for old filmies like myself -- looking, again, for a great, fun, truly sweet, way to fill a Sunday afternoon.

-don

Hey, the show's about to begin. I'm smelling popcorn! Wanna join us? :D

Home Theater WEB.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    Those " Faves " you posted are some of mine as well. Loved being scared by Si Fi movies when I was a kid. I use Roku streaming device in place of cable or sat. They have some really great retro Si Fi channels that bring back so many memories.

:)

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  3. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Did you see these? Two of my favorites Starring Gene Barry. p37559_p_v8_aa.jpg images.jpg

Unit11, Rat cam 68, vlxerdon and 2 others like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I like 'em. I remember as a kid going to the local movie theater to watch this movie. I remember covering my eyes and ducking my head at the "scary" moments ... which to me at the time were quite a few.
    Earth vs the Flying Saucers DVD   Earth vs  the Flying Saucers   Wikipedia.png

Also recently I rewatched "Them."

Also remember some of the famous lines:

"Keep watching the skies," ("The Thing From Another World")

And who could ever forget the great "Klatu barada nikto" from "The Day the World Stood Still?"

Unit11, JoeInMichigan, Pat V. and 3 others like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    War of the Worlds, yes. Many, many times!

In fact I think it may have been the first sci fi I saw. My dad took me to it in the theater -- I was just 7 and it scared me so that I couldn't sleep for weeks!

But The 27th Day -- no. In fact I had to go to IMDB to research it. Now I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks! :)

-don

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup! Yup! Yup!

And how about this one... "They're here already! You're next!"

(Remember it?) :)

-don

vlxerdon likes this.
  7. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    I'm from a later generation (or 2) but I second @Ralph124C41's mention. My favorite:
    IMG_6719.JPG

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is a whole level above most of these others. Directed by Robert Wise, who later went on to do such films as The Sound of Music, this was high budget, serious film making with a message. But also super fun!!!

A Sci-Fi Sunday regular! :) :) :)

-don

9. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Robert Wise started working for the great Writer/Producer Val Lewton who helped start his career! Sent you a PM check it out.

duceditor likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I saw (and loved!) those films on TV when I was a pre-teen. But until I read the link you sent I had no idea that Robert Wise had a part.

Before The Day the Earth Stood Still I only knew him as a film editor. Thanks for that! I'll need to seek them out again! :)

BTW, during that same period there were the Mummy films. Not so great, but when I was viewing "The Curse of the Mummy" on TV with some friends, again pre-teen, I saw the producer was "Henry Sucher." -That was my dad's name.

When I asked him about it he said his childhood friend, Jerry Wald, who had gone on to direct quite a few classics such as Key Largo, had borrowed his name early in his career. IMDB says that is not so. That there was another Henry Sucher, some years older than my dad, who was credited with The Curse.

Still, as a kid it was a source of great cred among my pre-teen friends!

My personal connection with such came later when I went to the Film School (SVA, NY) in the sixties. And that involvement got fellow Abstracts member Andrew Bonime interested in a film career.

Andy went on to make several films, his most famous being the cult Sc-fi/horror film "C.H.U.D. "

Andy died about a year ago, but his lady friend recently PMed me that a book, largely based on interviews he gave during his last weeks, is about to be released.

CHUD Lives.JPG

I look forward to reading that!

Andy, btw, was himself a true genius. No one more influenced my early life than he.

-don

11. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Ringo Starr Still looks better in that pose:
    R-1496580-1306599249.jpeg.jpg

Unit11, VealCutlet, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Has anyone mentioned The Blob?

I watch all of these, most of the ones mentioned were mainstream 50s standards. I like to dig deep into the obscure.

Also.. If they are lampooned by MST3K, even better!

VealCutlet, Joe90, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  13. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

How about the UK import "The Behemoth"? Or, if you'll allow a choice from the early 60s, my favorite:
    5MillionYearsToEarth (0).jpg

Robb, mb doug and so1om like this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We just watch The Behemoth a few weeks ago. I saw Five Million Years to Earth many, many years ago. Thought it rather provocative back then. Wonder how it'd seem today?

:)

-don

Robb likes this.
  15. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

There's a curious post script to "5,000,000 years". There's a rumor of sorts that says that Erich von Daniken came up with his ancient astronaut idea immediately after seeing the movie in the theater: life imitating art perhaps?

Robb, mb doug and vlxerdon like this.
  16. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I love them old 50`s 60`s and even 70`s (remember the fisrt use of synthesizer in the 70's and the most discouraging endings on most films) Sci-fi movies, my favorite is from 1963

"The day of the triffids" with Howard Keel

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Afrika61, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    This is a good one! It's got young Leslie Nielsen in the lead roll! He's been in a lot of films and TV rolls for sure! Awesome film! 800px-Forbiddenplanetposter.jpg

RetiredNSquired, Pat V., Robb and 3 others like this.
  18. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    I love old science fiction movies! "THEM" was filmed down the road from where I'm typing.

Here are my favorites...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robb and mb doug like this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    So many good films suggested here! :)

So far today we've screened two: The original 1950s "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" -- superb -- and then "The Beast from Twenty-Thousand Fathoms."

Next? I dunno. :)

-don

mb doug, Robb and VealCutlet like this.
  20. Joe90

Joe90 Squier-Nut

Jul 6, 2014
    Western Canada
    Classic Celluloid Sci-Fi!

My choice in the "So Bad It's Good" category:

[​IMG]

Robot Monster gave the seven year old me Nightmares.

Another great "bad" movie:

[​IMG]

One of my earliest Sci-Fi memories...

[​IMG]

I love the scenes in The Blob where some of the extras are laughing as they flee the danger...

[​IMG]

Unit11, mb doug and Robb like this.