$500 Fender brand Strat pickups!!

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Michael7, Mar 14, 2019.

1. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  2. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    I hope Josefina is getting a percentage of that!

Big tuna likes this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
  4. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I'm sure they are great - but count me OUT!!

I would rather have 5 sets of Rose pickups for that same $$ :)

5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, easy for me...Rose, Benson, etc.

Big tuna and wickedtools like this.
  6. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Just clear proof that fender marketing is intimately familiar with thier customer base and those who believe u get what u pay for and just how far they will go before they feel they're being scammed. The $5k strats and teles at least leave most people with a little question as to whether it can really be that good. These don't. You'd have to be be stupid to think that just because some woman on a assembly line who's a part of fender's history wound them they could be worth 3 times more than what fralin or lollor or any of those many guys who've spent years pulling vintage pickups apart and having the parts analyzed to design the best. I'm not even saying those guys build the best, you can buy a $20 pickup and if it matches your guitars and ear it may be the best to you. The notion she can wind a set of pups worth $500 is an insult to our intelligence IMO. If u buy these fender will never make it to the bank because they will be laughing so hard they'll be on the ground long b4 they arrive. But it just proves that the difference between a classic vibe and a AVRI as far as goodness really IS just a few parts that can be cheaply replaced. A lot of people refuse to believe that, but fender marketing knows it and makes a fortune praying on those who don't.

Caddy likes this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    It's just like cars and food. They make stuff at every price point. Why? Because someone will buy it. It may not be you or I but someone will.

Davey and drewcp like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What's funny is that they say she's been winding them for 30 years.. and you think.. wow.. cool vintage. I wonder what she has seen and hey.. wait. that was basically the 1990s. Not 1958.

9. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    It's like player contracts in sports. They're worth whatever somebody's willing to pay! (But not me!)

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    For $500, I would want Abigail's signature, or at least her initials.

BlueSquirrel and Big tuna like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    For $500 I want a set of pickups in a guitar.

Caddy, -r3- and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Man they sound good but that price is unreal for most.

13. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
  14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    I'd be surprised if at least some market research weren't done before giving the go ahead for a run of such an expensive set of new pickups.

Kudos to Fender for finding and digging into the pockets of those with far less attachment to reality, and far more cash, than most of the rest of us.

15. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Hmmm, what could I get for 500 bones besides pickups?

16. Antigua

Antigua Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    united states
  17. Antigua

Antigua Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    united states
    There's a big thread about in on the Strat pickup forum, a couple guys said they're interested in buying the set, because they reason their $4000 guitar should have $500 pickups. With a %2,000 markup, it doesn't take much volume to justify. Seymour Duncan still hasn't pulled the silver wired Zephyrs, even though I'm sure the original stock they created eight years ago probably has yet to sell out. Kudos to Fender for figuring out how to do with a magic marker that which required another company to use precious materials.

18. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Whatever floats your boat, right? I have a jeep wrangler but I don't need a $10k lift. My $300 kit works just fine, I still go over huge boulders and get home on time. And I have not broken my jeep, yet.

Davey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice